Hanging Elk Off Stone Veneer Fireplace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanging Elk Off Stone Veneer Fireplace?

I know I need to use a concrete/masonry anchor screw.

Not sure on size?

1/4” x 2-3/4” with a Phillips head, is that large enough?

Or should I go 3-1/4 to 3-1/2” long so it buries in the the OSB behind the stone.

I think the stone is 1” to 1-1/4” thick and need probably half inch of screw head sticking off.

This elk is hefty - probably 75lbs or more

I will drill a pilot hole per whatever recommendation masonry screws tell me to.

Want to get this done today please advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no ideas on the proper mounting screw. my animals are away from the fireplace as I have always been worried about the wax used on the mount getting messed up by radiant heat from the fire.

Comment

Stone Veneer (Sticky Stone) is mortared to a scratch coat. Make sure your screw is long enough to make it to the OSB. I'd use some type of toggle bolt to make it passed the OSB and the Sheetrock. Goggle Toggle bolt and there's all different kinds. Good luck.
      Need pics of the elk you're hanging.

Comment

Use a good quality bolt, with a head suitable for the particular hanger on your mount. Make sure it will engage into the solid backing. The weight isn't the problem so much, as that is shear stress. The leverage of having that big mount sticking out a long way is more important. You need to look at the screws attaching the hanger to the back of your form also, and make sure they are good. We use these large level-right hangers for elk/moose/African animals to make sure they stay on the walls.
        Attached Files

Comment

Got it done

Comment

Love your kitchen and living area. Just showed my wife. Big mistake. Thanks

Comment

Beautiful Elk and home!

Comment

Good job. looks nice there.

Comment

Thanks guys - we have been in this new home about 6 weeks.

Work in progress

Comment

Living the dream! Man, my wife would never go for that! Looks good!

Comment

Turned out awesome!

Comment

Looks fantastic. Man the built in eating area at the bar is awesome

Comment

Lol we love our animals. I’m so blessed to have a wife that appreciates them as well.

Currently building a trophy room out building as I have tapped my limit with her for the main house.

Comment

Very nice man. One question, would you go back to Idaho and hunt elk with your outfitter ? I’ve been thinking about it myself

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                              Very nice man. One question, would you go back to Idaho and hunt elk with your outfitter ? I’ve been thinking about it myself

I would not hesitate - it was a legit operation and hunt.

We will be back after kicking a few more bucket list animals off the list.

Comment

Working...
                              X