• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JonW View Post
    Great job! Did you weigh them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not yet. But will the next couple. Were working on the rest now

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Weighed the last 8. Weights ranged 4.5 - 5.25 pounds for a fully dressed bird. Not too bad.

Comment

My dad raised meat birds when I was growing up, Cornish and quail. I hated processing day!

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
          Weighed the last 8. Weights ranged 4.5 - 5.25 pounds for a fully dressed bird. Not too bad.

That’s great!

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
            Seeing this thread up reminded me I did a video on our process. Posted it on my other site but here, for those that may not have seen it.
            https://youtu.be/cU9p3g2fdlQ
            Great Video... Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by JonW View Post
              Mine are 16’x10’ and hold 100 broilers to slaughter. They are moved daily and even twice daily as they grow closer to butchering.

We feed fermented non-GMO, organic feed. This batch will likely have cockerels between 5-6lbs and pullets between 4-5lbs at 7.5 weeks. I couldn’t imagine what they would weigh at 12 weeks.

I'm looking to build a tractor for a couple dozen birds
              Can you share more pics of the 16x10 you have there

Comment

I also have a chicken plucker for loan. Used to do it without one and would spend all day processing birds. Now it takes me about two hours start to finish. Hate seeing it just sit around for 364 days a year...

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                  I'm looking to build a tractor for a couple dozen birds

Can you share more pics of the 16x10 you have there

Let me see what I can come up with. I’m out of state right now, but let me check my phone and photo accounts.

Comment

Meat chickens?

If I were only doing a few dozen at a time I would stick with one this size. It’ll hold 50 broilers and can be moved around easily. I’m not a fan of storm door and I use welded wire instead of chicken wire over panels, but I think this would serve you well.

I used Salatin style for years (still have one in service) and like the walk-in style better.

Last edited by JonW; 05-19-2019, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Our freedom ranger meat chickens made the big move today...

This is our first time with chickens. We have quail and rabbits. All new experience. They are growing so fast...it's almost unbelievable.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csS7SZw_kjg"]Freedom Ranger chickens are out of the brooder and into the hoop coop! - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                        My preference is the grocery store. lol I remember messing with them growing up. In the winter time the flock would dwindle down and the old rooster was in the boiling pot in the worst of winters. I never thought about it at the time but smaller flock = harder times. Hopefully those days never come back and our kids and grandkids never have to experience it.
                        We done all our own butchering growing up, chickens, hogs,calves,sheep,deer ect. I’m glad I got to experience it, I think kids need this education.
                        We didn’t have any money, but we ate good.

Comment

Working...
                        X