Broadheads for us Hill Country Hunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadheads for us Hill Country Hunters

only people that have hunted it know how the Hill Country will absolutely wreck a broadhead even after passing through an animal.

swhackers have been absolutely deadly for me. but, their blades are usually not reusable after coming out the other and side and in the dirt. sometimes the aluminum ferrule is bent as well.

i've also used the Strickland Helix to good effect. but, the rock soil tears up that single bevel blade.

i'm taking recommendations.

You can try magnus. If they get messed up the replace them.

Comment

there is no head currently made that will hold up against rock,,,

Comment

Originally posted by noack920 View Post
        You can try magnus. If they get messed up the replace them.
        Strickland will replace them as well. It just kind of stinks to have to go through that process.

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
          there is no head currently made that will hold up against rock,,,
          i'm looking for a strong ferrule that won't bend and likely replaceable blades because you are right about that.

Comment

I’d shoot a trypan and expect to replace blades and if the ferrule bends... there’s 2 more in the pack

Comment

G5 Striker has a good ferrule and strong blades that can also be replaced. The G5 Montec is a strong built head but I could never get them razor sharp. I like broadheads with replaceable blades for this reason, shooting mostly 125gr Strikers and SS Slick Tricks this year, shot a doe two weekends ago with a Rage Hypo +P however.

Comment

Slick trick mag. I change blades regardless (cheap enough). And of the hundreds of animals I’ve shot with them the ferrule has been damaged maybe 2-3 tops (including hill county animals).... and if damaged your out $10..... $10 to have fun shooting critters (that’s a win to me)

Or buy muzzys on sale. Midway had them for $9 a 3 pack..... I wouldn’t even bother reusing at that price for a quality BH

Comment

Exodus has a short very stout ferral, replaceable blades. I've shot through a lot of critters in some rocky country and these hold up better then most.

Comment

How about turning the weight of your bow down?

Enough you can still get good penetration but not so much that your arrow skips off 100yds through the rocks.

Or do what Low Fence suggested and buy when they are on sale

Comment

Bishop S7 tool steel will take a beating but they are really expensive

Comment

Originally posted by IbeHuntn View Post
                        Bishop S7 tool steel will take a beating but they are really expensive
                        just looked them up. holy smokes!

Comment

Lots of threads about this stuff but I use PX2's not very well known but they are the toughest I have have used I have a set of three that I use for warmup and target practice and haven't broken one yet in three years. They were orignally developed by the now Late Jason Peterson from into the wild tv. I love them.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I shoot NAP Thunderheads for that reason. Replaceable blades, but also broadheads that are 1/2 the price of most everything else and still as effective. Don’t feel too bad if I bang one up beyond reuse.

Comment

master
                              never heard of those. will look into them.

seacoal
                              funny you mention thunderheads. i was thinking about them the other day.

Comment

Working...
                              X