Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frios View Post
    no wasted meat
    You did it wrong on the Auodad...aim for the guts so they run off and you don't have to touch them!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      There’s much more/better meat in the neck than the shoulder. I don’t buy the argument/excuse of neck shooting instead of lung/shoulder shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      That's why I said just below the ear that way you don't mess any meat up!!!!

Comment

Most of the deer I’ve shot in my life have gotten their neck broken.

Comment

I have always taken neck shots, and only missed one deer. It was a doe at 20 yards, knocked her down, must have missed her wind pipe and spine. Since then, I have moved my shot placement to the shoulder. The deer drop like a rock and you don't lose the neck meat. Guess I need a bigger target these days.

Comment

Maybe someone should start a Head Shot thread...this one is about neck shots. If you shoot a deer's jaw off when aiming for the neck you have other problems.

Comment

Only time I've ever done it was during the rut. I was hunting out in the open just sitting under a tree in camo and had a buck trot right up on me and then slam on the brakes when he winded me at about 50 yards out. He was stomping his hooves and very clearly about to take off so I put the crosshairs on his throat and pulled the trigger. He leaped forward right as I squeezed and I was certain I'd missed.

Actually turned out that I hit him low in the brisket and it went straight in and took out his heart. No exit wound, found no blood whatsoever, but got lucky and stumbled upon him about 80 yards away while doing circles.

I won't do it unless there's not another option.

Comment

Originally posted by 2coolforschool View Post
                I like how people justify that if they don’t take the shot, the deer would have gotten away. Or that it saves meat (maybe on a doe, but certainly not a mature buck), as if their five tags weren’t enough, but also end up taking their deer to the processor (which doesn’t save meat). Or that they hunt for their sustenance to begin with, because unless you are hunting public land close to where ever you live, costs associated hunting in general are way more higher than even organic beef at the grocery store.

But y’all expert marksman with one point of contact for your rifle to rest on (your barrel on the edge of the window) continue to justify making your unethical shots on a target that’s way more likely to move than a deer’s torso. Y’all are such bad asses!
                Barrel on the edge of the window?! Clearly you're polished in the harmonics department...

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                Well dude, there's enough ignorance in your post to understand why you have the screen name that you do...
                Good call Slick!

Comment

Any shot that puts them down clean is ethical. The difference between a neck shot and a shoulder shot is that you have a much smaller, more apt to move target. Anyone who has never screwed up a shot is either lying or hasn't shot at many. I'll take neck shots, but I know my limitations. Take whatever shot you feel comfortable with.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                    You did it wrong on the Auodad...aim for the guts so they run off and you don't have to touch them!
                    haha...right.
                    well, I ended up touching it. haha

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
                      Why are there so many folks that shoot deer in the neck with a gun, but shoot em in the body with a bow?
                      I hope you are not seriously asking this question.

Bullets kill by a high-energy impact that crushes tissue and bone. Bullets literally cause a shock to the nervous system. Often Knocking down the animal or incapacitating it by the impact of the bullet let alone the tissue and bone damage caused from the bullet impact. This also reduces the animal's chance of running away.

Broadhead-tipped arrows deliver a low-energy impact that kills by cutting vital thru lungs, arteries , the heart and other vital tissues. Animals die from hemorrhaging and bleeding out. The arrow must be placed properly for a quick kill and easy recovery in an area with lots of vitals that have major blood flow. The neck area does not have as many vitals in a cluster as the heart lung area. But just the impact of the bullet in the neck can cause a deer to die let alone the tissue damage.

Comment

Originally posted by frios View Post
                        no wasted meat

I would challenge you to weight the front shoulders and a neck then tell me no wasted meat.
                        A bone in neck roast is a fantastic piece of meat.
                        I shoot the shoulder to save the neck meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I generally shoot does in the head.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by J-Fish View Post
                            How many of you guys successfully neck shoot deer when gun hunting? Any sweet spot you would like to talk about? Any defiant don't do's you would like to share?

I ask because I have always been taught to heart and lung shoot like you would with a bow, but often find myself tearing up the better part of a lower shoulder.

Share the wisdom....
                            If you are going to take neck shots. Make **** sure you have a good stead rest, very accurate rifle and the deer is inside a range, you can easily keep all of your shots inside a inch. At ranges you are making three inch groups, don't waste your time with neck shots, you will wound deer.

After you meet all of those conditions, try to only shoot them when they are looking right at you, not at an angle, preferably not broad side either. If you hit them correctly, they are pretty much dead instantly, if you are a inch and a quarter too far left or right, you will likely wound them. 95% of the time, they will drop on the stop, if you hit a vertebrae, but not the spine, then quite often, they will get back up and leave. I know of some getting shot in the neck, slammed to the ground. They hit the ground, kick for a while then quit, then start kicking again, get up and run off. Then I know of one, that got shot in the neck, dropped, laid there, did not move for over five minutes, then casually got up and walked off. Hitting vertebrae and not the spine, seems to paralyze them temporarily at times, others, it seems to stun them.

With a good neck shot, they should just fall straight down, no kicking. Almost all of the bad neck shots I know of, were broad side shots. If you really look at a bucks neck from the side, more so, during the rut, there is a lot of non vital tissue that can be seen from the side. I can tell you from experience, a broad side throat shot, is not lethal, not for a few weeks or longer, if ever. A buddy of mine, shot a 9 point in the throat from the side, we never found that deer, we looked for a long time. Then two weeks later, we took another friend and his wife hunting, his wife shot a 9 pointer, with a big hole in it's throat. That buck was shot about 150 yards, from where my buddy shot it. It seemed to be fairly healthy, when it was shot the second time.

My mother shot one broad side in the neck, with a 308, 150 gr. rounds, dropped, did not move for over five minutes. Then sometime over five minutes later, upwards of ten minutes later, the buck just got up and walked off. My mother had unloaded her rifle and put the ammo back in the box, thinking she was done hunting. After she shot the buck, it started raining very hard, it had been raining off and on, before she shot the buck. We were driving over to the blind she was in, 20 to 30 minutes after she shot the buck, we heard the shot and went to check on her. On the way over there, we had a buck walk out of the brush, walk right in front of the truck, never looked at us, had a nice big hole in it's neck. At the time, he rain was coming down hard. I backed the truck up, to aim the head lights at the truck, because I thought I saw something wrong with it's neck and the fact the buck acted like it never saw us, when it was 20 yards in front of the truck. Sure enough, we could see a hole in the buck's neck and it still did not seem to know or care that we were there. We got to my mother's blind, found out she shot a buck, tried to track it in the rain. Figured out it was heading the direction of the buck we had just seen. So we took off to where we had last seen that buck. It got into some very thick short brush, we lost the tracks, it was still raining very hard. Weeks later, I found the buck dead, coyotes had found it before me.

Those are two bucks, that I know for a fact were shot broadside in the neck and got up and left. Then were later found, one alive, one dead. I have seen and heard of quite a few others that were neck shot, almost everyone of them was a broadside shot. Those we never found, so I can't say where they were hit, exactly, but know they were neck shot. If they have been neck shot and they are kicking hard, their spine is still connected to their legs, they will most likely get up and leave, if you don't put another round in them.

For many years, I never had a deer I shot get back up. I used to always shoot them in the neck when they were looking right at me. Everyone of them dropped instantly and never got up. One of the last bucks I shot in the neck, I shot him looking straight away from me, he was following a doe and walking away from me. He went down, never moved. The last buck I neck shot, was a good sized buck, it was walking slowly, from my right to left. Easy broadside shot. I had a 223 and did not want to chance a chest shot. So I tried to shoot it in the neck. Still not sure exactly what happened. I squeezed off the shot, the buck dropped. I was pumped up. It was a pretty good buck. Very big buck for the county I was in. He dropped, straight down. I had to go around some brush to get to him, he was only out of my sight about a minute, maybe less. When I came around the brush, there was no buck laying where he had been laying. I knew what happened and took off running to try and see the buck, before it got out of the pasture. I had to get to the spot where he was, then I would have been able to see around the brush line he was following and hopefully see him before he went over the hill or into some brush on either side of the pasture. He made it up over the top of the hill before I could get to where he had been. I tracked the deer, towards the top of the hill. Then a ranch hand showed up with a dog, he got his dog to track the deer. The dang dog was only able to track the deer, to where the blood stopped. I never found that deer, dead or alive. I am pretty sure he lived and never came back. That was the last deer I tried a neck shot on, for a long time.
                            The mule deer I shot last year, I neck shot. I was above the deer, on a hill top, he was quartering away. I really was not sure where to aim on that shot, because they say to aim low on steep angle shots. I have never practiced shooting at steep angles, so it was kind of a guess at where the bullet would hit. The buck had stopped and looked back at me. So I put it on his neck, figuring, if it goes high, it hits neck, if it is dead on, it hits neck, if it is low it will hit the neck. I wound up hitting the buck in the base of the neck, he dropped instantly, then tumbled and slid down a hill side quite a ways. He finally wrapped around a large rock. It was a very steep hill, it was not easy getting him off of that hill. Watching him tumble down the hill, was a good and bad feeling. When I knew, I needed to carry him up and over that hill, I knew meant I would have to carry him farther back up to the top. It was worth it, I felt like I was going to die before I got him out of there.

Comment

I shoot almost all my deer in the neck.. they don’t take a step.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                                If you are going to take neck shots. Make **** sure you have a good stead rest, very accurate rifle and the deer is inside a range, you can easily keep all of your shots inside a inch. At ranges you are making three inch groups, don't waste your time with neck shots, you will wound deer.

After you meet all of those conditions, try to only shoot them when they are looking right at you, not at an angle, preferably not broad side either. If you hit them correctly, they are pretty much dead instantly, if you are a inch and a quarter too far left or right, you will likely wound them. 95% of the time, they will drop on the stop, if you hit a vertebrae, but not the spine, then quite often, they will get back up and leave. I know of some getting shot in the neck, slammed to the ground. They hit the ground, kick for a while then quit, then start kicking again, get up and run off. Then I know of one, that got shot in the neck, dropped, laid there, did not move for over five minutes, then casually got up and walked off. Hitting vertebrae and not the spine, seems to paralyze them temporarily at times, others, it seems to stun them.

With a good neck shot, they should just fall straight down, no kicking. Almost all of the bad neck shots I know of, were broad side shots. If you really look at a bucks neck from the side, more so, during the rut, there is a lot of non vital tissue that can be seen from the side. I can tell you from experience, a broad side throat shot, is not lethal, not for a few weeks or longer, if ever. A buddy of mine, shot a 9 point in the throat from the side, we never found that deer, we looked for a long time. Then two weeks later, we took another friend and his wife hunting, his wife shot a 9 pointer, with a big hole in it's throat. That buck was shot about 150 yards, from where my buddy shot it. It seemed to be fairly healthy, when it was shot the second time.

My mother shot one broad side in the neck, with a 308, 150 gr. rounds, dropped, did not move for over five minutes. Then sometime over five minutes later, upwards of ten minutes later, the buck just got up and walked off. My mother had unloaded her rifle and put the ammo back in the box, thinking she was done hunting. After she shot the buck, it started raining very hard, it had been raining off and on, before she shot the buck. We were driving over to the blind she was in, 20 to 30 minutes after she shot the buck, we heard the shot and went to check on her. On the way over there, we had a buck walk out of the brush, walk right in front of the truck, never looked at us, had a nice big hole in it's neck. At the time, he rain was coming down hard. I backed the truck up, to aim the head lights at the truck, because I thought I saw something wrong with it's neck and the fact the buck acted like it never saw us, when it was 20 yards in front of the truck. Sure enough, we could see a hole in the buck's neck and it still did not seem to know or care that we were there. We got to my mother's blind, found out she shot a buck, tried to track it in the rain. Figured out it was heading the direction of the buck we had just seen. So we took off to where we had last seen that buck. It got into some very thick short brush, we lost the tracks, it was still raining very hard. Weeks later, I found the buck dead, coyotes had found it before me.

Those are two bucks, that I know for a fact were shot broadside in the neck and got up and left. Then were later found, one alive, one dead. I have seen and heard of quite a few others that were neck shot, almost everyone of them was a broadside shot. Those we never found, so I can't say where they were hit, exactly, but know they were neck shot. If they have been neck shot and they are kicking hard, their spine is still connected to their legs, they will most likely get up and leave, if you don't put another round in them.

For many years, I never had a deer I shot get back up. I used to always shoot them in the neck when they were looking right at me. Everyone of them dropped instantly and never got up. One of the last bucks I shot in the neck, I shot him looking straight away from me, he was following a doe and walking away from me. He went down, never moved. The last buck I neck shot, was a good sized buck, it was walking slowly, from my right to left. Easy broadside shot. I had a 223 and did not want to chance a chest shot. So I tried to shoot it in the neck. Still not sure exactly what happened. I squeezed off the shot, the buck dropped. I was pumped up. It was a pretty good buck. Very big buck for the county I was in. He dropped, straight down. I had to go around some brush to get to him, he was only out of my sight about a minute, maybe less. When I came around the brush, there was no buck laying where he had been laying. I knew what happened and took off running to try and see the buck, before it got out of the pasture. I had to get to the spot where he was, then I would have been able to see around the brush line he was following and hopefully see him before he went over the hill or into some brush on either side of the pasture. He made it up over the top of the hill before I could get to where he had been. I tracked the deer, towards the top of the hill. Then a ranch hand showed up with a dog, he got his dog to track the deer. The dang dog was only able to track the deer, to where the blood stopped. I never found that deer, dead or alive. I am pretty sure he lived and never came back. That was the last deer I tried a neck shot on, for a long time.
                                The mule deer I shot last year, I neck shot. I was above the deer, on a hill top, he was quartering away. I really was not sure where to aim on that shot, because they say to aim low on steep angle shots. I have never practiced shooting at steep angles, so it was kind of a guess at where the bullet would hit. The buck had stopped and looked back at me. So I put it on his neck, figuring, if it goes high, it hits neck, if it is dead on, it hits neck, if it is low it will hit the neck. I wound up hitting the buck in the base of the neck, he dropped instantly, then tumbled and slid down a hill side quite a ways. He finally wrapped around a large rock. It was a very steep hill, it was not easy getting him off of that hill. Watching him tumble down the hill, was a good and bad feeling. When I knew, I needed to carry him up and over that hill, I knew meant I would have to carry him farther back up to the top. It was worth it, I felt like I was going to die before I got him out of there.
                                Best post in the thread. Wish it would have been the first reply to this thread, as I doubt many will actually read it.

Comment

Working...
                                X