neck shots with gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
    Right where the neck joins the shoulders and they're drt.
    EXACTLY , high shoulder shot, DOA

Comment

This is a timely thread for me. I’m taking my 7 year old grandson Saturday morning to hunt a doe or hog (MLD).

He’s got a new .243. Shots will be ~100 yds. I’ve never liked small calibers for shoulder shots, so have zero experience with them myself. If I have him shoot in rib cage (low behind shoulder) am I asking for a 200 yd blood trailing job? Or have him go for broke with a neck shot?
      Last edited by Pineywoods Paul; 10-09-2018, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightinaggies View Post
        I prefer them looking right at me and putting it right in the throat patch
        This....we killed about 20 does last year this exact way. Much better than head shots IMO.

Comment

Was taught to neck shoot, never seen a jaw shot in 3 generations of neck shooters.

Pick half way point between top of shoulder and bottom of jaw.

No reason to aim as high as y'all are, lower moves less and is larger target.

I don't head shoot, it moves too much

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods Paul View Post
            This is a timely thread for me. I’m taking my 7 year old grandson Saturday morning to hunt a doe or hog (MLD).

He’s got a new .243. Shots will be ~100 yds. I’ve never liked small calibers for shoulder shots, so have zero experience with them myself. If I have him shoot in rib cage (low behind shoulder) am I asking for a 200 yd blood trailing job? Or have him go for broke with a neck shot?
            Just shoot a 100ish grain bullet and neither is a problem stay away from lighter bullet. I'm a big fan of good ole core lock 100 grainers in 243 inside 200. That said I don't know the kid. If he is a confident shooter, neck.

If he isnt, have him aim DEAD center middle of the shoulder. Break the shoulder and typically dead right there

Comment

Man, .243 should not be considered a 'kids round', or any less lethal than others, it hits hard and kills quick. Have him shoot the high probability shoulder shot and you will not track at all. Aim mid shoulder and you have six inches of leeway for a drop right there harvest with a good bullet. Deer hit in the shoulder usually drop in front of you and don't get up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
                Right where the neck joins the shoulders and they're drt.
                I shoot about three inches lower than this, straight up the leg with a hunting round- My preferred shot. I have never seen a deer run when hit in this area and the damage is massive without much meet loss.

Comment

As mentioned earlier I don't have a problem with neck shooting. However, for someone who's 7 with not much experience I would shy against it. Not that it can't be done or won't be effective, just that there's a larger margin of error when shooting vitals.

Comment

Why are there so many folks that shoot deer in the neck with a gun, but shoot em in the body with a bow?

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
                      Why are there so many folks that shoot deer in the neck with a gun, but shoot em in the body with a bow?
                      Easy:
                      KINECTIC ENERGY...

Comment

I will take a frontal shot just as quick as broadside. However I don’t throat patch shoot them. I aim for the vitals and right above the brisket. Arrow or rifle I’ll take that shot in a second. Even on large game.

Comment

Did my first head shot ever with a doe this past season with .22-250 @130 yds. Saves a lot of meat, .308 neck shot a buck last year @20-25ish yds ,I'd only try it at close range on a nice buck.

Comment

I have been hunting since 1983 and twice I have taken head shots and that was after making a not so great first shot and I had to finish them off. But truth is I have shot way more deer with a bow than I have with a gun (I gave up gun hunting for a long time). So when I do gun hunt I tend to shoot them in the same spot I do when I have my bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                              I like the neck shot; facing me and bottom of the throat patch.

Agreed. There are a lot of people that hunt year round, there are a lot more that shoot the weekend before hunting and think they are Carlos Hathcock.
                              Even more that shoot year round!

Comment

Originally posted by Fightinaggies View Post
                                I prefer them looking right at me and putting it right in the throat patch

Same, Ive only done this twice, on a doe and a buck. Both shots where either shoot now or miss my chance. Nevertheless DRT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X