Barndo Self Contracting DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barndo Self Contracting DIY

Wife and I have been planning this thing for a while. Took us a while just to get where we are today but things are moving along nicely now.

The details:

Navarro County
    5.733 acres
    Between Corsicana and Blooming Grove
    1700sqft living
    2600sqft slab
    3 bed 2 bath
    I have a buddy in commercial construction who is technically the GC and who I've paid a small sum to be my technical assistant and butt chewer.

So far this is what we have accomplished:

Fences - braces built and painted, meshwire stretched. (This should ideally be done in winter not july)

Soil test and foundation design - this black clay is brutal. Soil test showed over 5" of movement possible. Engineers suggested chemical stabilization injection, select fill pad, and lots of post tension cables.

Water - trencher rented and pipe laid for meter and to house. Podunk water supply companies are the worst but I guess it's better than digging a well.

Dirtwork/driveway - rough dirt work was done followed by the soil injection. This week pad was built up with select and crushed concrete was hauled in and the driveway installed.

Metal building - found someone to stand building and we've designed the building with Muller.

Got the electrician and plumber on standby waiting on concrete contractor to form it up.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

looks great, hope everything goes smooth. Keep the pictures coming.

Comment

"Soil test and foundation design - this black clay is brutal. Soil test showed over 5" of movement possible. Engineers suggested chemical stabilization injection, select fill pad, and lots of post tension cables."
      FYI 5" movement is very possible in your area. Just remember the Gander Mountain store closed. The slab there had over 24 inches of differential movement in the store. Soils in your area are very expansive.

Comment

Awesome man. I’m about to be doing the same thing myself so we’ll see how it goes!

Comment

That is a great floor plan, I like the utility room access to the water closet off the master... very well thought-out!

Comment

What are the deminsions of your building? It looks like 36x50 but I can’t make it on the drawings. That floor plan is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdaddy View Post
              "Soil test and foundation design - this black clay is brutal. Soil test showed over 5" of movement possible. Engineers suggested chemical stabilization injection, select fill pad, and lots of post tension cables."
              FYI 5" movement is very possible in your area. Just remember the Gander Mountain store closed. The slab there had over 24 inches of differential movement in the store. Soils in your area are very expansive.
              I knew they were very expansive. Our foundation plans call for over 3000 ft of cables. I'm not sure if that is a lot but it seems it to me.
              Originally posted by TxTechBowhunter View Post
              What are the deminsions of your building? It looks like 36x50 but I can’t make it on the drawings. That floor plan is awesome.
              So the main building (living area, storage, and back porch) are 50x50 square then the small front porch. Thanks. We worked for a LONG time on the plans and tried to adapt it as much as possible to our lifestyle.

Comment

In for this.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice plan. A few items you might consider

Where is the HVAC air handler going and how will you access for filter changes?
                  When they pour the slab pour a pad for the HVAC but don’t connect it to the main slab so the noise from the outside unit is not transmitted inside.
                  Where will the water heater go and access when it needs to be replaced?
                  Make sure you have enough space to get the vent pipe for the range vent out through the roof. Mine is rated for 600cfm and takes an 8” vent.
                  Double all the electrical penetrations through the slab. Hard to fix after the slab is poured. Chances are the concrete guys will screw up at least one.
                  Double check the plumbers stubups. I was fixing some as the concrete trucks arrived. I’m sure your plumber is better than mine.

Good luck. Looks like you are doing all the right things.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                    Nice plan. A few items you might consider

Where is the HVAC air handler going and how will you access for filter changes?
                    When they pour the slab pour a pad for the HVAC but don’t connect it to the main slab so the noise from the outside unit is not transmitted inside.
                    Where will the water heater go and access when it needs to be replaced?
                    Make sure you have enough space to get the vent pipe for the range vent out through the roof. Mine is rated for 600cfm and takes an 8” vent.
                    Double all the electrical penetrations through the slab. Hard to fix after the slab is poured. Chances are the concrete guys will screw up at least one.
                    Double check the plumbers stubups. I was fixing some as the concrete trucks arrived. I’m sure your plumber is better than mine.

Good luck. Looks like you are doing all the right things.
                    Air handler was a question I've struggled with. Thought about in the attic but really dont like that idea. Think I'm going to add a small closet in the storage area that will open into the top left bedroom.

I'm thinking another closet for the water heater in the storage area but will discuss with the plumber on Monday.

Good thinking about the range vent. I'll look into that although our verticle I beams are 8 inches so clearance shouldn't be an issue.

There will only be one penetration for electrical in the slab, to the island. I really dislike floor plugs and am trying to keep as much out of the slab as possible.

Comment

Nice looking plans. Here are a couple of things that I missed with my new house build.
                      1 Think about putting a drain in your laundry room in case you ever have a washing machine problem or a hose bust.
                      2. Put a main water turn off valve inside the house. just in case you need to turn off the water quickly.
                      Keep us posted as you move along.

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
                        Nice looking plans. Here are a couple of things that I missed with my new house build.
                        1 Think about putting a drain in your laundry room in case you ever have a washing machine problem or a hose bust.
                        2. Put a main water turn off valve inside the house. just in case you need to turn off the water quickly.
                        Keep us posted as you move along.
                        We do have a drain in the laundry.

I'm going to have the plumber give me a price on installing a water manifold.

Concrete guys are forming it up right now

Comment

Tankless water heater, make sure your air handler has easy access ( for future repairs) , spray foam, our barndo is 2700 sq ft living and our electric bill hasn’t gone over $120 this summer. Good luck with build.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy590 View Post
                            There will only be one penetration for electrical in the slab, to the island. I really dislike floor plugs and am trying to keep as much out of the slab as possible.

Agree on the floor plugs. Seems like wherever they are they are not in the right place. I assume you are putting your breaker panel outside? What about phone and internet connections? If you are using an aerobic sewage treatment system you will need a 30 amp 120v circuit going out. I’ve always tried to avoid having electrical conduit going out through the wall to get underground. Seems like the weed eater and mower are attracted to these items. I prefer going through the slab.

Comment

Congrats! In for progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X