How to use a deer call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to use a deer call

Can y'all point me in the right direction for instructions on how to and when to use a call and which type of call to use? I'm new to the call game. Actualy, this will be my first year to use a call.

I am a huge Primos Fan, I prefer the hardwoods grunter. But learn what a deer sounds like before you begin calling to them. When you hear a buck grunt in your area try and mimic him and I promise you will be so much more successful. I would stay way from the growls they do on TV unless your hunting an age group of bucks that 5.5+ that growl wont work. Try and mimic the age class of bucks you have, to me that's the best tip I can give. And dont start grunting till you hear it.

Comment

Promos got the most recommendations so, I'll be going with one of those. Plus, they are easy to find. Thanks for the tips. All is appreciated.

Comment

Ive had my best luck with tending grunts whichs mimics the sound a buck makes when breeding a doe.....i try to be subtle

Comment

Thanks y'all. Greatly appreciated

Comment

Call me crazy, but I am very "vocal" while hunting... I grunt, growl, bleat, anything and everything... And I typically see more deer than the peoe I hunt with... So much so that I bought a video camera to prove what I was seeing... The thing is, it is a natural sound to them. You will not scare them off, even by grunting at the "wrong" time... So why not try it, if it works, enjoy, if not then try again in a little while... You can go sit a field in the middle of summer and grunt to deer, while they do t respond to it, they don't run from it either... I say make lots of noise, you will be surprised how much more game you see

Comment

I think the area you hunt has a lot to do with it.
              I mostly hunt east Tx. I have spotted bucks tending does and tried grunting to get them fired up, curious, or to get the buck in range only to have them pay no attention to it.

But, I have had luck in October getting young and middle aged bucks to walk in on me grunting and slapping pine saplings on the ground.

One morning I was squirrel hunting, blowing a squirrel call, and shaking a young pine trying to get a fox squirrel to come out from hiding in a fork of a big oak.
              A 7 pointer came running in and just about run over me trying to figure out what all the fuss was about. Three days later that deer was in my freezer

Comment

I'm not knocking it, but here is my take, and probably my mistakes.

I'm pretty deaf to a lot of sounds, I have only herd a deer grunting once. He was hot on a doe, a grunt every second or two, short grunts.

Growing up in Arkansas in the 70's, there wasn't a lot of deer. Hard to come by, and most were small. Dad told me to be as silent as I could- first problem, ingrained in my head to be quiet as possible.

Second, over the past few years I've grunted at several deer. They didn't bolt, didn't stop, didn't do anything. Like I wasn't there- need I remind you I could hear my call, and I'm deaf.

I DID get up close and personal with a deer a couple years ago while using a rattle bag. Mid-October, I think the doe that came by first, lead him to the rattle hoping to rub him off. No shot, and I don't think he'd pass the rule anyway.

Long story, but this year I am planning on calling more, nothing to lose. I have found some good videos on U-Tube where you can hear the deer.

Comment

Once again all, thank you. Razorback, I'll look up those youtube videos.

Comment

I used the doe bleat in a can. It worked an younger bucks ,1-2 years since they had something to prove. another great tip. if you have allergies, don't sniff in as that's a sign of danger. blow out of your nose to clear it if you have to.

Comment

I get a much better response using calls away from the feeder. During the pre-rut I like to use a doe bleat, grunt and rattle.

Comment

I really like my true talker grunt call. I called in 2 bucks last year from well over 300 yards away. It doesn't work all the time but I have had enought success to continue using it. Have not had a buck run off scared because of it, some just don't pay any attention to it. I have also had some success rattling in bucks, usually 3-5 bucks per year over the past few years. Most have been young 1.5-2.5 year old bucks but occasionally a mature buck will come check it out. I will vary my rattling, sparing sequence to agressive fighting sequence, depending on the action I am seeing at that time of the season.

Comment

i call all the time in the stand and i see more than most as well. i typically use a doe grunt like hey im here not hey im in heat more than anything. but i hit mature buck grunts and had bucks come runnin in to see who was there.

Comment

So opening day on Sat, and i all i have is a Primos Can. how should i implement it effectively?

Comment

do you think you have does in heat? you may get reaction out of younger bucks in my opinion i like to use basic doe and buck grunt sequences this early also depends on where you're hunting

Comment

Working...
                              X