Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myth Busted! - Rams are delicious to eat!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Myth Busted! - Rams are delicious to eat!!

Having heard a million jokes (most of which are hilarious "recipes" that involve throwing away the meat and eating the burlap, coals, wood planks, etc), I've decided to do a little write up on just one example of how delicious any ram you shoot (Corsican, Merino, Dall, Hawaiian, Aoudad, etc) can be.

First and foremost, age the meat on ice for 5-6 days, to drain excess blood from the muscle tissue.

The dish I will be teaching y'all to make is a Greek dish named "giouvetsi" (that's the closest transliteration from Greek characters). It's pronounced "you-vetsy". In many countries (Greece, Ireland, Mexico and many more) mutton is a staple, and this dish can make a believer out of just about anyone.

Since I'm typing this on my phone, and my phone won't upload more than one pic per post, I will break this up into a few posts in this thread.

Let's get started!

First , we start off with two shoulders, and put them in a big disposable roasting pan.
    Attached Files

Comment

SO you are going to eat an aluminum pan at the end???

Comment

Then, we pour in one of these bad boys.
        Attached Files

Comment

In for this. Will this work using deer shoulders?

Comment

Add a quartered sweet or red onion and a few dried whole cayenne peppers, and then top the exposed meat with rosemary, crushed thyme and a little coarse sea salt, and you've got this!
            Attached Files

Comment

Then, we put the pan in a 400 degree oven uncovered for 30 minutes, to give it a nice browned color. Then, cover the pan with foil and roast it for another 4-5 hours, or until the meat will effortlessly come apart with a fork and its thickest part.

It should look something like this!
              Attached Files

Comment

Looking good so far

Comment

Here's the magic part! Now, we pour in 4/5ths of a container of this delicious Orzo. Orzo is pasta that has been cut to the shape of a large grain of rice.

When you pour it all in, make sure it all gets submerged in the juices.

Now, since your meat is cooked, reduce the temperature to 200 and put the foil back over the pan. Let it cook for two hours, so that the orzo totally absorbs all of the beef stock and delicious juices and fat from the meat.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Sneaky; 01-12-2014, 08:42 AM.

Comment

I want some ...

Comment

After those two hours are up - bam! - the juices are soaked up and you've got this.

By this point, your house has been smelling so good that you should consider having your shotgun slung around your neck with a bunch of beanbag rounds to keep your folks at bay!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Sneaky; 01-12-2014, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Wow

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

And there you have it! The orzo is some of the richest, most savory pasta you'll ever eat, since it didn't soak up plain old water, but instead beef stock and mutton juices.

The meat will readily fall apart with zero effort, and is moist and delicious to the max!

This recipe absolutely works work deer and hog shoulders or hams as well. All you need to do is adjust the time accordingly before you add the orzo, to ensure your meat is falling apart at its thickest point.

I hope y'all have a great Sunday and try this sometime!
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Sneaky; 01-12-2014, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Wow that looks delicious.

LWD

Comment

Working...
                              X