Why do you bowhunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
    There’s nothing wrong with sneaking up on animals, but just as you enjoy some challenges so do others. It just so happens to be that challenges people enjoy don’t always align. If you think setting up for a long shot is easy it’s not always the case. A lot of stars have to align for that shot to be viable, then even if it’s viable you have to make sure you’ve put in the legwork to make it count. It’s challenging and rewarding in a whole different way.

I’ve never even shot a deer with a bow. Just hogs, rabbits, and a coon or two (didn’t really deer hunt in high school). Hogs were great fun, and I know the thrill can be exhilarating. I guess people just think I’m funny cause deer don’t do anything for me unless it’s on my plate lol
    Not discounting feeders because I do have some and occasionally hunt them.

However, if you take a feeder out of the picture, there would be a lot less bow only guys. I have no doubt. There are lots of people out there who think the same thing about people who bow hunt feeders as the bow only guys think about rifle hunters. Just a vicious circle that really shouldn’t even be there. If it makes someone’s ****** feel bigger, then by all means. Lol

Op, I hunt because I just enjoy hunting. I started bow hunting to lengthen my season and now I just love hearing the thwack in a rib cage.
    Last edited by Sleepy; 01-11-2019, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post

However, if you take a feeder out of the picture, there would be a lot less bow only guys. I have no doubt. There are lots of people out there who think the same thing about people who bow hunt feeders as the bow only guys think about rifle hunters. Just a vicious circle that really shouldn’t even be there. If it makes someone’s ****** feel bigger, then by all means. Lol

Op, I hunt because I just enjoy hunting. I started bow hunting to lengthen my season and now I just love hearing the thwack in a rib cage.
      Good post

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post

You sir understood my post perfectly. It’s foolish of us to hate on people for using different methods that are trying to accomplish the same goal. Now if the idiot doesn’t want to put in the work to make sure it’s ethical then by all means let’s have at him.

Happy hunting to you!

Comment

Why do you bowhunt?

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
          I understand that and respect that. If you think being able to take long shot repeatable and effectively is not a challenge then you are mistaken (not saying you think that). It’s just challenging in a whole different manner.

The only challenger is myself. Certainly a long shot is a challenge for many and I don't down play that one iota. I'm relatively proficient at 300yds, however, as for me, I prefer the cat and mouse game so to speak, the challenge of the stealth. That's why I love [emoji3590] Bowhunting! I don't Bowhunt exclusively!
          Last edited by psicoo; 01-11-2019, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Wow a lot of holier than thou...
            I bow hunt to get there first, better opportunity with deer population, hunt in better weather, to get close(within 30yds) and see things gun hunters never see. To hear that sound of the broadhead hitting the chest cavity in a low thud, like slapping your buddy on the back or hitting bag of wet leaves.
            Knowing that I was able to move my body and arms, in front of that critter in sight, grab my bow, draw it back... in its presence, range it correctly and put the arrow where it needs to go.
            That is why I bow hunt.
            Pig eradication is another story.

Comment

It's quiet and good for poaching the big ranches.

Comment

So basically the OP started the thread to complain about a thread in another section?

Gary

Comment

My primal urge is to strong to resist!

Comment

I just freakin love it!! 3 years ago I bought a press, started building my arrows and doing all my own bow work... honestly don’t even think about picking up a rifle most of the time. That being said I shot an Auodad at 300 yards with a .308 after chasing him for a day and half with my bow. Still was as happy as a lark! If you follow the laws of TPWD then I’m good with anyway you decide to take game ethically. The more the merrier just make sure you vote to protect the sport!

Comment

For me the challenge. Hunt small acreage and the first year shot 2 deer with my .270 at 30 and 25 yards. Took the fun out of hunting after that. Well my brother bought a bow and one day I shot it and found it to be fun so I ended up getting one as well. Not only did hunting become a challenge, but hearing a deer eating corn at 20 yards was amazing. Especially when they have no idea your even there. Also like the idea of coming home after a long day and being able to shoot to blow off steam.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                        So basically the OP started the thread to complain about a thread in another section?

Gary

Yes......

Comment

Love having deer so close that you can hear them breath. Having them stare a hole in you, know something isn’t right but not being able to figure you out. The challenge of sitting still, not moving while they stare. Yup, just plain exciting!

Comment

I agree with dustoffer. I love being so close that when your belly growls a deer throws its head up. Started something last year that helps when they come in close like that. I now put a dove decoy in the blind window. The deer look up at it and seem to relax a little, save for an old grey faced doe this year. She looked up at me less than 20 feet from me, and I will swear that the only thing that moved on me was when my gonads drew up. She snorted and ran off. Lol

Comment

No choice but bow or muzzle loader

Comment

Working...
                              X