Shrimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
    We caught some shrimp down in north landcut/seven mile cut area MANY years ago that bill. We joked that they had to be 1-2 count shrimp. They were enormous!
    Think it was back in the late 90’s when some farm raised shrimp got loose into the arroyo down south.

We usual see 1-5 individual tiger shrimp caught per year from Aransas/Corpus bays by local shrimpers. Last one I knew of was caught in Aransas bay this past September or October 2021.

Jason Slocum

Comment

Eat wild browns and whites without worry.

Farm is last choice if starving.

Comment

Yesterday’s bait, today’s plate!

Comment

Ok I got to ask… what’s the deal with the not eating farm raised?? I know they aren’t going to be as good but is there a health concern??

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
            Ok I got to ask… what’s the deal with the not eating farm raised?? I know they aren’t going to be as good but is there a health concern??
            I think the common belief, probably true or at least to some extent, is that being captive in the same tank of water makes it more prone to disease. They probably swim in the same water without it ever being cleaned with several continuous hatches of fish. It would be like looking at an unfiltered tropical fish tank.

It think most of the concern is when the product comes from Vietnam or China with probably very little, if any, health regulations. The same can likely be said about wild caught but area restricted and heavily polluted and contaminated waters.

I tried Swai Catfish from Vietnam before (frozen Walmart) and it was some of the cleanest and freshest tasting catfish I have ever tried. I started reading about it and it mostly comes from the lower Mekong delta and raw sewage and chemicals are dumped in the river for many miles above that area.

I have also read that American inspectors have cleared it as being safe but………

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
              Farm raised is not necessarily bad. We have local shrimp farms that turn out a good, safe product. I'd be leary of imported shrimp.

Comment

Working...
              X