• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by HCON3 View Post
      make sure the bait shop doesn't add Acetone to the water to freshen it up and make the shrimp lively. Yes they do!
      I have never seen that here. Not ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
        I have never seen that here. Not ever.
        Me either, pretty sure I could smell it, I hate that smell.

Comment

I buy shrimp all the time from bait shop for shrimp soup.

Comment

You can call them anything you like but shrimp are shrimp. Call 'em bait shrimp or table shrimp. It's all the same so long as they are fresh. Brownies and whites are both good. Most folks couldn't tell one from the other live in hand much less rolled in cracker meal and fried.

Now, I would not recommend buying 'fresh dead' at a bait camp to eat. I have seen bait camps clean out the dead loss out of their live tanks that died overnight and dump it in the fresh dead cooler many times. You do not want to eat those. They have been dead in warm water for hours. When they are catching really good shrimp our bait camps will often sell table shrimp and it is fine.

Wherever you buy your table shrimp look them over closely. It's not hard to tell if they are good and fresh or not. If they look iffy at all just pass. They should not smell bad. They should not be black or oozing nasty looking juice. They should not smell like bleach. They should be pretty and firm and smell fresh.

Comment

Well.......... I’ll just stand back and observe
              Lol

Comment

the only thing i Remember is that if you are using shrimp for bait, it must be texas shrimp, and not frozen from the store ( most of that stuff is from overseas ) and can carry some type of disease to our local waters. according to TPWD. We always get reminders from the game wardens in Corpus Christi about this.

Comment

Originally posted by fishfeeder01 View Post
                  the only thing i Remember is that if you are using shrimp for bait, it must be texas shrimp, and not frozen from the store ( most of that stuff is from overseas ) and can carry some type of disease to our local waters. according to TPWD. We always get reminders from the game wardens in Corpus Christi about this.
                  This is incorrect…..to a point.

They don’t have to beg ‘Texas’ shrimp, but need to not be imported.

Gulf caught shrimp would suffice. These can be bought frozen from the store and are appropriately labeled.

Comment

Originally posted by fishfeeder01 View Post
                    Safe to eat but unsafe for bait. ?????

Comment

Originally posted by lodgepole View Post
                      I won’t buy farm raised. Most of that is from over seas and not as good as gulf shrimp.
                      I have seen in person the farms overseas and immediately upon return told my wife we would never intentionally purchase or consume farm raised again. Our only exception is restaurants when we have no choice.

Comment

As a follow up: I went to website and got this.
                        Why shouldn’t I use imported shrimp as bait?
                        If you use imported shrimp as bait, you could be introducing one of
                        several deadly viruses to native shrimp, crab and crayfish populations. Many of these viruses—like the white-spot syndrome virus—
                        can survive the freezing process and do not die when the imported
                        shrimp is packaged. Though not harmful to humans, if a virus is
                        introduced, native shrimp, crab and crayfish populations could quickly
                        die which would have devastating consequences for the entire ecosystem and the Gulf shrimp food industry.
                        What is imported shrimp?
                        Imported shrimp includes all shrimp species not native to the Gulf
                        of Mexico, like shrimp from other countries and non-Gulf states.
                        The most common imported shrimp species is the Pacific white shrimp which
                        is found in food stores.
                        Is it against the law?
                        Yes. Introducing imported or non-native shrimp to the aquatic
                        environment is illegal under Texas law, regardless of whether it is
                        alive or dead, whole or in pieces. How do I know if shrimp is native
                        to the Gulf of Mexico?
                        If you’re buying bait shrimp, ask if its Gulf shrimp. Common shrimp
                        species native to the Gulf of Mexico include pink shrimp, white
                        shrimp, brown shrimp and mantis shrimp or sea lice. You can also
                        check the label of frozen packaged shrimp for place of origin.
                        If shrimp is not from the Gulf of Mexico, then it is illegal to use it as bait.
                        Where can I learn more? www.tpwd.texas.gov/baitshrimp
                        or texasseagrant@gmail.com
                        Hope it can help someone out to avoid getting a ticket. My shrimp only work on hardheads. LOL.

Comment

I saw they have already begun to catch some tiger prawns in the nets here on our Texas coast. First thing I thought was we about to have some **** good foot long shrimp to catch and eat on our coast in another 10 years or so. But obviously the invasive consequences outweigh that.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                            Safe to eat but unsafe for bait. ?????
                            Yes.

It can introduce viruses into the water that can kill native shrimp but is not harmful to humans.

It is unsafe to Texas shrimp that may become infected.

Comment

Learn something every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                                I saw they have already begun to catch some tiger prawns in the nets here on our Texas coast. First thing I thought was we about to have some **** good foot long shrimp to catch and eat on our coast in another 10 years or so. But obviously the invasive consequences outweigh that.
                                We caught some shrimp down in north landcut/seven mile cut area MANY years ago that bill. We joked that they had to be 1-2 count shrimp. They were enormous!

Comment

Working...
                                X