No announcement yet.

Is there a "need" for a 3.5" shotgun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.5" guns exist cause most guys are willing to pay just about anything for an extra half inch...

Comment

When I do Duck or Goose hunt, I shoot 3.5" shells. I use a Remington Ultra Mag pump, & it does kick like a mule if not wearing cold weather gear.
      More is always better

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
        I don't waterfowl hunt, but I think there is if you varmint hunt with one. You can fling a lot of shot out of a 3.5" shell. Some will argue you don't need one with the new heavy shot that is available and it may be true, but I don't like the cost of some of the new loads available.
        It’s about patterning… not about payload

Comment

Originally posted by txbowman12 View Post
          3.5" guns exist cause most guys are willing to pay just about anything for an extra half inch...
          HA!

Comment

When I got my Remington 870 to get the super mag which takes 3.5” was only like $20 more, so why not. I still shoot 3” 99% of the time, but nice to know I can shoot 3.5” if I want

Comment

I use 3.5 because they don't make 4 inch......I'll take the extra shot count, we hunt geese and cranes along with ducks. I use 3.5 if steel and 3 when using BOSS bismuth.

Comment

The 3.5 inch shells will help drain your pocketbook quicker and make your shoulder more sore. I used to guide waterfowl hunts and the guys that shot lots of birds usually used 3 inch shells. I have done lots of personal research and 3 inch number 2 shot will kill almost everything at 40 yards in. You can include coyotes, bobcats and hogs on that list.

Comment

Not for me. I don't even care for 3" anymore.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I shoot 3.5’s at cranes, 3’s at Waterfowl/most upland and turkey, 2.75’s at doves and quail.

A 3.5” chamber is nice to have if you want it. I have an 870 with a 3” chamber and besides shooting federal tss 3” it jams up because the ejection port isn’t long enough for an expanded spent shell. Just saying shooting a benelli SBE 3.5” BB at cranes is no where near as bad as shooting 3” #4 or #9 tss out of my 870.

Shoot what you want, waterfowlers remind me of flyfisherman: scoff at everyone who doesn’t do it just like them its ridiculous.

Comment

I don't care what anybody shoots, as long as they are having fun. And it's legal.

Comment

I like them for shooting turkeys. I think it all depends on the choke you're using. I know a guy that use 3 1/2 BB for pheasants even. When everyone else stops shootin he starts. I've seen him drop birds way out there and they don't get up and run. Uses a Carlson's Dead Coyote choke. 3 1/2" turkey loads pattern really good out of my factory Benelli full choke. I've killed a turkey at a little over 60 yards with that setup. The more pellets getting out there the better. That's just my opinion.

But I've killed a ton of stuff with 3" shells too. They cost less. If it patterns good I'd say use whatever you think is best. If 3" shells shoot better out of your gun that's even better. There are so many different shotgun loads out there for bird huntin it's unbelievable. You're bound to find some 3" that'll pattern better than any 3 1/2" shell. There's a ton of them out there.
                        Last edited by okrattler; 11-23-2021, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post

Shoot what you want, waterfowlers remind me of flyfisherman: scoff at everyone who doesn’t do it just like them its ridiculous.

This goes for numerous threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                            The 3.5" was originally developed as a turkey load. I have a first production 835. And a few of the original Fed 2.25oz loads. The advantage was being able to throw the same shot weight as a 10g. That is why it was developed.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
                            Correct, I have one as well and still like it for turkeys. For ducks I shoot 2 3/4 for teal and 3’s in the later season.

There is still value in a 10 gauge if you want a longer range for ducks. A buddy of mine was talking about hunting in LA and said there’s guys were sky busting ducks that looked to be out of range, then they started dropping. He went over to their blind when they left and it was all 10 gauge hulls.

Comment

Yeah, bad thing about the 12 ga 3.5s is that it made it harder to find 10 ga ammo

Comment

Originally posted by txbowman12 View Post
                                Well that half inch has made a difference over the years. I have killed many more birds with the extra 1/2 inch. Size really matters on bird hunting

Comment

Working...
                                X