Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ranchers/Cattlemen whats your favorite grass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coastal would be good, any kind that you sprig. I would veer away from Jiggs, it needs water or it won't do well. Bluestem is a good option. When I put cows on a new pasture they eat the johnson grass first then the bluestem after that they will eat the coastal.

Comment

Help keep the bluestem prairie going. Little blue or big bluestem.

Comment

Big Bluestem. Scratch the surface with a disk and lay your seed out.
        It took approximately two years to see any difference.
        We had big Blue with seed heads over the top of an f350 4x4.

Comment

I prefer to work with nature and plant what God put there. No inputs like weed spray and fertilizer keeps money in your pocket.

B-Dahl is hit and miss, some guys like it and some don’t. I’ve seen it take over fields. Diversity would be best, like natives so that all your eggs aren’t in one basket.

Comment

Tifton 85 is what our cattle love.

Comment

After reading all the posts you probably have some excellent ideas but from my experience on planting grass in south Texas you will find out that soil types change very quickly
              Best thing you can do is spend a little time to see what your neighbors have. Grass seed can be very expensive if you have a good county agent he could recommend what is best for your area and climate

Comment

Acapulco gold

Comment

There is much more maintenance and yearly expense with costal. you have to spray and fertilize. (Over $700 a ton right now) You can run more cattle on fewer acres with it. My pastures are native and hay ground is B-Dahl. B-Dahl is a great compromise. Makes great hay with less fertilize and rain. It does take a little longer to get established, but it is very hardy once it is. You can graze it pretty heavy, and hay it. Just leave about 6” standing or you will get one cutting instead of 2 or 3. Grazing or cutting it to close really sets it back. This is one of my B-Dahl patches, and my son was about 5’ tall at the time. Good luck.
                  Attached Files

Comment

What type of cattle will you be running?
                    -Cows?
                    -Stockers?

What are your goals?
                    -Hay production?
                    - Graze year round?
                    -Beneficial to wildlife?

What are your labor/time goals?
                    -Good with high maintenance and expenses?
                    -Manage your grazing and let nature take over?

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterchris View Post
                      Coastal would be good, any kind that you sprig. I would veer away from Jiggs, it needs water or it won't do well. Bluestem is a good option. When I put cows on a new pasture they eat the johnson grass first then the bluestem after that they will eat the coastal.
                      I have experienced the opposite with jigs.
                      I had better luck getting it started than tifton.
                      I like both grasses but jigs seems to do better in harder type soils.

Comment

Tifton 85 Popular here in RGV

Comment

Working...
                        X