Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ranchers/Cattlemen whats your favorite grass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ranchers/Cattlemen whats your favorite grass?

My brother and I bought some land next to some old family land we have thats about to be handed over to us. We are clearing mesquites and brush off and building fences.

What is the best grass in your experience to plant?

Plan on setting up a 4 pasture rotation system.

This will be in North Texas. I do weed spraying and fertilizing as a side job and am grass savvy on all the natives and introduced.

What we've been considering
    Klein (I know its toxicity to horses and sheep)
    B-dahl
    Wilman
    Giant Bermuda
    Or maybe a mix of those.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'd sprig in whatever Bermuda grows well in your region and soil type. Not sure, but it seems like I've heard that giant Bermuda wasn't all that great.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      I'd sprig in whatever Bermuda grows well in your region and soil type. Not sure, but it seems like I've heard that giant Bermuda wasn't all that great.
      Grama grass

Comment

I like Alicia and Jiggs, I can post some pics of our Alicia pastures tomorrow, cattle do really well on it. Also it’s really hardy and grows quickly.

Comment

How far north. Coastal is great but not a cold weather grass. The B-dahl grass my son-in-laws planted two years ago grows good but grasshoppers will not even eat it.

Comment

Hard to answer without knowing your soil type. Kleingrass does great in clay or loamy soils, not as good in straight sand. Wilman does great in sand or loamy soils, but not near as good in clay.

Yep.

On our 130 place, we have multi soil. ****tiest piece ground loves Kleingrass and Bermuda. We started with Bermuda, but have since spent last 5 years removing it as it want's to grow everywhere and while it greens early and recovers quickly from rain...it's not good hay compared to any others. We now have good stand of Kleingrass , but doesn't cut the tonnage our Jiggs or Tifton does elswhere (more sandy soil).

Comment

Tifton grass. Call your extension agent. Grow what grows there...

Comment

Get with NRCS and seen what their improved pasture blend contains.

Comment

Check with nrcs. They have a cost sharing for clearing, fencing, and planting. You might as well take advantage of the program before the government gives all the money to the illegals

Comment

Depends on your rain fall. I don’t have an ounce of Bermuda left.

Some times it’s best to go back in time.

Right now I’m on a Chet sand bluestem kick.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                      Like button!

Comment

If you're at all interested in wildlife, stay away from anything exotic. Natives are the best, more drought tolerant and disease resistant and requires less maintenance as long as you manage it correctly and don't overgraze it (which most people do).

Comment

call the extension agent

Comment

Go with the official grass of Texas-Side Oat Gramma. Very drought tolerate and grows in most soils.

Comment

Indiangrass
                              Big bluestem
                              Switchgrass
                              Eastern gamagrass

Comment

Working...
                              X