Question for R/C car hobbyists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for R/C car hobbyists

I dabbled in R/C cars 30 years ago. Thinking of getting back in.

Trying to decide between nitro or electric.

Pros/Cons?

Electric!
    Waterproof motors and parts.
    Battery technology has come a long way in recent years. Electrics are not near as noisy as the nitros.
    RC cars in general have really advanced since you were into them. Parts, upgrades, number of models, and scale sizes.

It's fun but expensive. Sold all mine to buy guns. Miss them sometimes. Fun hobby.
    Attached Files

Comment

Most are obvious. Electric is great and low maintenance but if you can only play as long as you have enough spare batteries and charge. Gas lets you go longer, but you have to buy expensive gas. Not to mention the maintenance of glow plugs, ring and cylinder replacement and having to follow shut down processes to keep it from rusting between runs and causing damage, then dealing with break in periods. All that said, I'm a sucker for fuel, noise, etc and had gas cars a long time ago, but electric is so much easier. Some of the cars i had, i had to carry around a motor box just to start it. The others had self starters but always broke and required constant repair.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Good stuff: About what run times are batteries getting these days?

Comment

I wanna put a turkey decoy on one and run it around!

Comment

Electric is what I have

Comment

Check out Traxxas line.

I have a 2wd Stampede, with LiPo batteries.. full charge, last 25-30 mins.

Parts are cheap, repair is easy. I just totaled my truck, hit a fire ring WFO, and broke the chassis. Cost $10 for new part, plus a couple hours labor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2214.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	24571100Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2217.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	24571101

My next truck will be the Summit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with AJmag about the nitro cars. Not worth the added maintenance to me.

The options are nearly unlimited with Traxxas, as far as upgrades. I have 3 different bodies, a 66 ford F-150, 72 Chevy, and the original body.

My best friend has 5, including the X-max. That thing is a beast. 50 plus mph, 4wd. But, it’s a $1300 truck with the upgrades he has.

You can get a Stampede for $170, plus another $120 for LiPo battery and charger.

They are a blast, but addictive.

Comment

[ATTACH]945729[/ATTACH]

Comment

20 to 40 minute run time depending on type of battery. LiPo batteries are the way to go avoid NiMh.
                    Buy multiple batteries and a good charger.
                    The 4x4 traxxas stampede I posted above would run 50 mph, do back flips off ramps. I jumped it up to 10 ft in the air. Drove it submerged in water, through mud and sand. Broke the chassis in half just like buckshot did with his, when i ran into a solid object head on at 40mph, repaired it for 25$
                    There are some very cool RC cars and trucks out there. Just talking about it makes me want to get back into the hobby.

Comment

I used to be in it about 20 years ago and had nitro. I was in a shopping center a couple of years back that had a hobby shop and that particular weekend they had a track set up for people to run. I was SHOCKED at how fast the electric cars are now. It makes sense due to technological advances but I was blown away.

Comment

Electric for sure! The nitro's used to be the top dogs back then, now its electric. Insane power and very little maintenance compared to a nitro. Unless you're really into tinkering and want something you have to adjust/mess with often, then electric is the way to go.

Comment

Thanks all. It's sad I had put this hobby completely out of mind for 30+ years... but it has sure triggered a trip down memory lane.

I was just looking at parts and accessories, and remembering how sad I was the first ESC I ever saw for my RC10, but the $300+ price tag was not do-able in 1988. Now one similar to what was then, goes for about $11 lol

ahhh...the RC10, she used to be the coolest kid on the block

Comment

Got the boys some Stampedes for Christmas.

Comment

i gave up on gas... its all about electric these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X