Question for Police Officers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had law enforcement show up at my house twice in the past two weeks responding to 911 hang ups. Neither time did anyone in my house dial 911 or accidentally alert 911 on the iPhone. The officer confirmed that it
    Was none of our numbers that called. He said that it could have been someone up to 2000 meters away and my address is what pinged. Can anyone explain what is going on here because my wife is a tad freaked out by it. We live in a very rural area with very few people on our street but close to some developing neighborhoods. Thank you

Can’t explain that but my neighbor got “swatted” the other morning at 6:00 am. I walked out front and had cops swarming his home with AR,s asking him over the p a to “come out slowly with your hands up”. After several attempts his next door neighbor came out then Greg the neighbor that was swatted came out. It was all cleared up but a dangerous prank and waste of manpower.
    So “”swatting” is when someone calls in and reports an emergency at your home. Seems like they could trace the call and prosecute

Comment

When someone calls 911, it automatically pings. If it cannot ping an exact area, it will ping off the nearest cell tower to the exact location and give a radius of within ** meters. If you're the only house within that radius, then yes, police can and should show up.

On the other hand, if you have a landline, inclement weather can trigger a 911 call, usually with static on the 911 receiver end. Statistics can show officers respond to 911 hang-ups or 911 static lines on residential and commercial properties exponentially during the spring storms. Squall lines of storms are hell on 911 lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
        Can’t explain that but my neighbor got “swatted” the other morning at 6:00 am. I walked out front and had cops swarming his home with AR,s asking him over the p a to “come out slowly with your hands up”. After several attempts his next door neighbor came out then Greg the neighbor that was swatted came out. It was all cleared up but a dangerous prank and waste of manpower.
        So “”swatting” is when someone calls in and reports an emergency at your home. Seems like they could trace the call and prosecute
        This is a popular and extremely dangerous prank. It originated through the gaming/streaming community, where two players are live streaming and one is getting beaten, they will call in an emergency (medical, fugitive, assault, robbery, etc) on the person winning, and they can watch the person getting "swatted." There are reports of people being killed by police due to this.

Comment

I've had deputies show up at my residence because someone hit their On-star button as they passed my driveway.

Comment

I wonder if there is anyway to call the county dispatch and give them my cell and have them call me should they get another call from what they think is my address.

Comment

Originally posted by jleverett329 View Post
              I wonder if there is anyway to call the county dispatch and give them my cell and have them call me should they get another call from what they think is my address.
              Could work, depending on what their policies are. Couldn't hurt to try..

Comment

Originally posted by jleverett329 View Post
                Won't work. They will come anyway to be person to person. Policy of every first responder organizatio I know of.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                  Won't work. They will come anyway to be person to person. Policy of every first responder organizatio I know of.
                  That is not the norm per say anymore. There is discretion with larger agencies that have a larger call volume.

Comment

In the county I worked in inclement weather would cause 911 open lines and I would be dispatched out. We had a few repeat areas this would happen.
                    Last edited by TxKronik; 02-22-2021, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Call the 911 services in your county and have them check into it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s not abnormal. I’ve been to the same guys house like 50 times because his phone line is messed up. It randomly calls dispatch and they don’t even have that number anymore but it doesn’t mean we don’t go. Every single time I have to go on the off chance they called “for real”. The poor dude has done everything he knows how to. Nothing has worked. Most of the time we just laugh about it. But sometimes I’m waking him up in the middle of the night. I feel bad but there’s nothing I can do either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We go to all 911 hang ups...even if they call back and say all is okay.

Comment

I’m really glad they show up but it’s just weird that I keep getting these pings at my house instead of the neighbors. I am the first house in the street though so maybe that has some hung to do with it also

Comment

I used to work in a small town and I would get sent to 911 hang ups often for residences that didn’t even have a land line. Seemed to happen mostly during bad weather. Not sure what caused it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X