Handheld GPS Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handheld GPS Units

So I have been looking into various handheld GPS units online and let’s just say there are lots of options so I wanted to see if anyone has some hands on experience. Looks like Garmin is a top contender as they have a ton of options.

I’ll be using this primarily for fishing inshore and offshore so being able to mark spots and have good data anywhere I go is important as most spots don’t have cell service.

What are y’all’s thoughts if you have any experience?

I have a Garmin eTrex 30x I like. Get one with the features you want as they last a long time and very durable.

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
      I have a Garmin eTrex 30x I like. Get one with the features you want as they last a long time and very durable.

Ya my problem is knowing exactly what features I really want. I’m not sure which ones are super useful vs the ones that sound cool but you never use.

Comment

Get one you can text with, I never thought I'd need that until this past Sept. on an Elk hunt and we got 20"-24" of snow one one night and another 6" the next.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
          Get one you can text with, I never thought I'd need that until this past Sept. on an Elk hunt and we got 20"-24" of snow one one night and another 6" the next.

All the ones I’m looking at so far do have that option which I think is really nice. I think I may end up going with the Garmin GPSMAP 86sci. But still trying to make sure it’s what I want for sure as they are pricey.

Comment

I bought the inReach Mini. Haven’t used it much yet. Chose it for its size and real time tracking for anyone I want to be able to see where I am and the messaging feature. You can download the app to your phone and have maps and messaging on your phone where the screen is bigger and it’s easier to text. In a bind, you can send messages straight from the unit itself without the phone.

Comment

I have the inreach mini. If you are using the GPS for fishing, I would steer away from it because basically you have to bluetooth to it, and use your phone to mark spots quickly or effectively.

If you are okay with using your phone, I would actually go with onx maps (Assuming the maps reach far enough off shore), and forego a GPS unit altogether. If you want the ability to text, then an inreach mini is great. Keep in mind, the inreach requires a monthly subscription to send a text, or use SOS.

Comment

I have the Garmin 64ST with OnX and it worked great on my elk hunt.

Comment

I use my iPhone for GPS when out of range. I load detailed maps beforehand and have a power bank that I can charge the phone several times if needed. I also have an in reach mini for communication

Comment

Working...
                  X