Leather knife sheath question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a leather sheath that is a little big for the knife, what's the most effective way to get the sheath to shrink to fit the knife? TIA !!!!

You may not be able to get a good fit if it wasn’t made for the knife. You can wrap the knife in plastic wrap and soak the sheath first then put knife in and press the sheath to it. Use a hair dryer to dry it out. If you have oil after it dries out, put a light coat on

Comment

No way I know to shrink a sheath that I know of (but I could be wrong). I usually make them slightly tight and form fit to the knife by wetting the leather for a slight stretch form fit. You can try wetting it and allowing to dry without the knife, it may shrink, but it will probably stretch back to original size. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

The sheath is made for the knife..

Comment

Oil the inside and outside? Or just the outside?

Comment

like said above, wrap the knife with plastic, wet the sheath, put knife in and use your fingers or something smooth to form the leather around the knife, take the knife out and dry the sheath, then oil the outside...should be good to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning48 View Post
              Oil the inside and outside? Or just the outside?
              Just a touch on the outside - it will help keep it from cracking. You are welcome to text me a pic for further advice as well. pm for number - hope this helps

Comment

Besides what was said about soaking, don't oil the inside. You can rub 100% bees wax in the inside of the sheath as far as you can. This will add a lot of friction and hold the knife.
                You might be able to add another row of stitching to tighten it up.

Comment

I appreciate everyone's input

Comment

You could possibly line the knife area with leather, cut to fit and just insert into sheath it will take up that sloppy fit. I have made inserts out of ice cream bucket plastic, also shields the blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wet your sheath,not to much. Put oil on blade and put in sheath. Vacuum seal knife and sheath. Leave in about 30 mins. Put sheath in oven at lowest setting for 10 mins. Lightly oil sheath with neats foot oil.

Comment

NO oven, it will distort and shrink more than you want.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                          NO oven, it will distort and shrink more than you want.
                          No it won’t. I’ve done it a bunch of times. Except I have a small toaster oven I use.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
                            You may not be able to get a good fit if it wasn’t made for the knife. You can wrap the knife in plastic wrap and soak the sheath first then put knife in and press the sheath to it. Use a hair dryer to dry it out. If you have oil after it dries out, put a light coat on
                            Get this guy to build you a sheath.

Comment

Originally posted by RedRocker View Post
                              Get this guy to build you a sheath.
                              What he said!!

Comment

Working...
                              X