No announcement yet.

.243 advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew up shooting a .243 and switched to a 300 Weatherby in my late teens. Every single deer I shot with either rifle ran about 40 yards. As you can see the consensus already is behind the shoulder shot they will run, and there's nothing wrong with that especially with the young ones. With my kids, teaching them how to trail the blood and tracking deer after the shot was the best part of the hunt. I can still picture the look on their faces when they're tracking blood and look up to see the deer laying there. Those are skills they'll need later on in life as future bowhunters as well.

As for the ammo, absolutely fire some Federal Fusion out of that .243 and give it a shot (pun intended), especially if you decide to start doing high shoulder shot you'll need the punch of something like that or a Barnes TSX. I love that stuff. My son's 243 was grouping Americal Whitetail about a basketball sized group at 100 yards, ridiculous. Fusion was golf ball and it's blown through everything he shot with it until we upgraded. We shoot that in the 308 as well (MSR version for short barrels) and my .270 WSM loves loves loves it, shoots like it's a custom built paper punching rifle with handloads no joke.
    Last edited by justletmein; 01-14-2019, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
      I don't think I was complaining just wanting to see if it was the ammo, We may change shot placement to help.

Thanks everyone
      You're good! Hopefully this thread was helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
        Does not exist. Switch over the shooting high front shoulder instead of behind shoulder low. Disrupt the nervous system
        Agree I shoot behind for double lung and less meat waste I say 80% run but not far 15-50 usually. I was taught shoulder shots as a kid until I changed myself to save meat. Same exact gun and bullet and jd say about 70% dropped right where they stood but lost meat.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            You're good! Hopefully this thread was helpful.
            Very helpful. I told my son during the off season when he takes his kid to the range let’s work on shot placement. Head, neck, and high shoulder.

Thanks again everyone for the advice.

Comment

With federal fusions I was getting pass-throughs. They are a very accurate round. With the Remington CoreLoks I was getting good mushrooms.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                Does not exist. Switch over the shooting high front shoulder instead of behind shoulder low. Disrupt the nervous system
                This. No such thing as a magic bullet that will knock'em down. Its all about shot placement, period. My son shoots a .243 and its been a stone cold killer for us. I actually shoot it quiet a bit. I shot a large boar with it this season and anchored him where he stood, again, shot placement. We shoot 100gr Remington CoreLoks which have been great for us.

I know of a ranch where high fenced big deer roam. Every year the guys that hunt there wound deer, can't find shot bucks, need tracking dogs, etc... and they typically shoot large calibers (.300 Weatherby, etc...). We always get a good laugh hearing about all of the antics that go on.

Comment

Every deer me or my kids have shot with a .243 has been a complete pass thru.
                  Yes pass throughs on deer are easy, I said not always a pass through on the elk with a 243. But still “ knocks them down”, just as fast as most any other caliber.

Comment

The .243 does not have much knock down power even on a perfect shot the deer may run. Unless you are head and neck hunting. I would recommend the Hornady American Whitetail in 100 grain
                    X2

Comment

I do the same thing with every rifle I have which is I test out different grain weight factory ammo and find the heaviest one it shoots sub-moa with. Then that is the only thing I put through that rifle. Also if you are wanting to minimize tracking distance go straight up the leg and shoot in the top 1/2 of the shoulder and you will take out lungs shoulders and disrupt their get-up-and-go.

Comment

I'm real pleased with the results I get from Hornady 95gr. SST out of my .243.

Last 2 times I head shot hogs I got a pass through and dropped the one behind it...2 shots for 4 hogs. I shoot deer behind the shoulder with them and always get a good blood trail.

Comment

Unless you disrupt the central nervous system with a spine or brain shot, or break up the front shoulders, there is good chance a deer will run a little ways with ANY caliber. I have nearly blown them in half with 120 grain 7mm Magnum loads with behind the shoulder lung shots and had them run 40-50 yards or so. The .243 is PLENTY of gun for anything in Texas. Shot placement is everything.

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
                            My grandson shots a .243 and shot a doe this season (85yds) and it ran about 40 yards. Shot appeared to be a good hit. A few weeks later his dad shot a doe same thing doe ran once again shot appeared to be a good shot.

So my question is what is the best ammo to use in a .243? That will knock them down with no running.
                            Any ammo that starts w/ .30.... on the box!

Comment

A perfectly hit deer with a 7mm mag can/will run.. Its all about shot placement.. A deer can be dropped or will run with any caliber.. A high shoulder shot is usually a slammer.. I'm more worried about an exit hole and bleeding than I am running..

Comment

100 grain Core Lokt. In the 15 years I've been shooting deer with a 243 the farthest they have run is 100 yards. Most drop in their tracks or make it less than 30 yards. One thing I will say is the blood trail on a high lung shot may not be as good as a larger caliber.

Comment

Working...
                                X