All my bags are packed, I’m ready to go.... Tule Elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
    Who’d have ever thought puzzy would get you so many great hunting opportunities?!

Another great one Doc

Lol!!! Congrats Sir! We appreciate you taking us along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats Doc, enjoyed another great hunting trip for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
        Who’d have ever thought puzzy would get you so many great hunting opportunities?!

Another great one Doc

He is not the only man on earth this applies!

Congrats Doc! Glad you had success and thanks for taking us along.

Comment

Congrats, Doc! Great write up, it’s like I was looking over your shoulder!

Comment

Congrats Doc....awesome trip [emoji106]

Comment

Awesome hunt and awesome bull! Great to see you back at the hunting, Doc!

Comment

Awesome man - Congrats!

Comment

Congrats on another great hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
                    The kill story:

We started the morning headed back to the flat where we left the 7x7. Found the elk and there were 4 bulls chasing 8-10 cows. We made a move in on them and tried to call a bull away. One great 6x6 started our way but went back to the fray. We made another play on them and tried to get in front of them. Wind was bad so we backed out. As we were headed back to look for other bulls, Jed(second guide/spotter) called and said he had a good bull spotted with 4 cows. Away we went!

We got to about 800 yards away and heard a bugle. Started closing in and thought we still had 200 yards or so to go. He was 68 yards straight below us with no shot. Tried calling him from two different setups but he would not come. He started pushing the cows up the mountain so we went up and over to cut them off. We set up to call with only one response from the bull. We eased further up and saw the cows coming up the fence line in front of us. We backed out and went up higher above them. Set up to call and he bugled immediately. I got set up big a huge oak and Cary the outfitter was about 60 yards above me on the mountain. I had a fence line 22 yards in front of me. The bull started coming and then stopped in the brush 30-40 yards below me. I could hear him breathing and pacing back and forth. He started raking the brush and I could see the trees moving. Finally I could see his antlers and tried to find a window for a shot. Way too thick. Cary kept mixing up some cow calls and bugles and finally he started coming!

The bull came out of the brush and started working uphill on the same side of the fence as me. While I was screened from the bull I hit full draw. Cary stopped him with a bugle but he was still a bit below where I had planned for a shot. I felt like it was good enough and started to release the arrow. He did take a step as I let it go and knew I was a bit back. That was at 16 yards! First shot was an iron will. Bull spun and tried to jump the fence. He got hung on the top wire for several seconds as I reloaded. He cleared the fence and stopped. I guessed he was thirty yards and let arrow number two fly. This one was a 1.5 inch sevr and hit him well. Blood exploded out both sides on the second shot and I hit the top of the heart. I watched him fall at 66 yards. I wish I did a better job with my first shot but elk just gave that effect on me! From there we hiked down to the bull and Jed was able to bring a ranger up to us from the bottom. All smiles after that.

I bet the adrenaline was flowing good. Nice write up

Comment

Out this am looking at the country and watching two awesome pointers work. Just pointed a coney of mountain quail. Those are pretty little dudes! Saw some valley quail earlier. Smoke has started to roll in with a wind shift.

Comment

Smoke rolling in.

Comment

Not quite the same views as the past couple days.

Comment

Is it harder to breath or anything with that smoke rolling in? What's the elevation?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Redraider View Post
                              Is it harder to breath or anything with that smoke rolling in? What's the elevation?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

It’s smoky but no breathing issues. It’s been worse in the past couple weeks. No idea on elevation.

Comment

Good luck!!

Comment

Working...
                                X