Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headed to Fairfield tomorrow afternoon. Going to spend some time with a good friend, eat some good seafood and hopefully bloody an arrow. Bad time of year I know but I gotta try.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Well the rain and cooler temps had the pigs moving but the 20 sheep/goats at the feeder made getting a clear shot tough. I finally got an 80lb boar clear walking between two goats and let fly with a pile driver. He ran about 75 yards but ended up 50 yards from the feeder. A pass through quartering slightly to me at 12 yards or so.

Gary

Comment

Way to get ‘er done, Gary!!!

Congrats!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Way to go Gary!!

Comment

Attaboy DRT.

Comment

Congrats on the pig DRT!

Comment

She is on her way to Spidermonkey. I enjoyed shooting her but the last few days she has set on the rack because I've been shooting my bow in prep for the season. Hopefully Rusty will have an opportunity to take a deer with her as his fortune is to have her during archery season.
                I appreciate the opportunity to be on the list and participate in her journeys.

Gary

Comment

Well Gary, got home from work tonight, and Sac has arrived... safe and sound!! To the “write-up”, the name is Rusty Schulz, I’m 50 yrs young, married to the love of my life for the last 28 yrs, and have 3 wonderful daughters, ages 25x2 (twins), and one that’s 21. Anywho, born in Dalhart, Texas in the NW corner of the panhandle to Dennis and Nona Schulz. We were a 3rd generation farming family and my dad, uncles, and grandpa farmed right at 4 sections in Hartley county. I grew up/went to school in Hartley (Ryan and Randy no all about Hartley now! ) My dad got me started huntin with a .22 after the local jackrabbit and prairie dog population when I was just a little fart. We ended up moving to Throckmorton, cuz my dad got out of farming when it got super slow in the late 70’s, he bought a lumber yard, and he ran that for a few years, and for some reason we moved again, and we ended up here in Sulphur Springs. Through all this he kept all his grain harvesting equipment, and we’d travel “custom harvesting” all summer every year. On to the hunting passion! I got my first bow, a fiberglass green/white Bear recurve that looked like Irish spring soap! I had a handful of mismatched aluminum arrows, and was on the prowl daily for whatever I could shoot at. Killed my first rabbit with that bow when I was in the 5th grade, and I’ve been on fire about it ever since! Still remember skinning that sucker, salt drying the hide, and then cuttin it down/making a grip wrap out of it. My Irish spring soap colored bow with a rabbit fur grip wrap... I was THE master bowhunter! I hunted a lot with my grandpa for the cat squirrels and fox squirrels with my trusty Savage 410/.22 OU. I officially got bitten by the archery bug in 1981 when I was shooting that ol green and white Bear and got to thinking “I want to kill a deer with one of these!” The first year I “bowhunted” was the fall of ‘82 with an old Grayling Bear Supermag 48 that a friend gave me. Scott prob knows the bow I’m talking about! No deer were killed that first year, or the next, but in August of ‘84, I thought “I had to have” a compound. I saved up all my hay-hauling money, went to Kmart, and bought me a Bear Whitetail with the lever wheel arms and everything! That year I killed my first deer ever, an awesome 5 pt buck! I was sooo excited when I shot him, when I went to climb down, I skipped the first step, and fell to the ground out of the 10-12’ wooden ladder stand. I bounced up, and went to get my deer. (I was a little younger then!) I was THE ONLY person that I knew that bowhunted, which made it hard, cuz I had no guidance. That Bear Whitetail was not even close to the right draw length for me, it was waaaay too long. But, I made it work! I learned most everything from my big paperback “Bowhunters Bible” by Chuck Adams. I first came to find out that with that draw length being way too long for me, I absolutely could not get my pins far enough to the left to hit where I wanted, so I had to “hold right”. I came up with the redneck idea of taking a fairly long piece of baling wire, making a small half loop in one end, and putting that loop eye behind a sight pin nut. Then I bent it straight out like a sight pin, and “sighted it in” using a pair of wire cutters! One small snip at a time, until I was putting them where I wanted! Started shortly after that hunting with the bow all season, as in keep bow hunting when gun season rolls around. Boy, that’ll get you some funny looks! Killed tons of critters over the years with that ol Bear, and several other compound after that. Then, in 2004, after many summers of bowfishing with a recurve, I said AGAIN, “I’m gonna start hunting with a traditional bow!” Once again, I had nobody that hunted with traditional gear that I knew, so I had to rely on books, and what little I could find/understand on the computer! And like I’m sure LOTS of y’all get, I got the “you’re gonna hunt with THAT, instead of your compound??!!” Cuz by then, there were a few bow hunters around, but they were compound hunters. Whew!! It took several years and lots of learning, but finally got my first deer, a big fat doe, with my Checkmate Crusader LB! It’s been Katy Bar the Door ever since! The 2017 season was pretty tough for me cuz I had my rotator cuff surgery bout 10 months before. That whole season, even though I was shooting “ok”, I just was not to the point of where I was like in 2015, before the injury/surgery. But I’m relieved to say, that FINALLY this year I feel like my old self again! I’m not 100%, but I’m shooting soooo much better than last year, it just makes me warm and fuzzy all over. I still have some rough pain days, but all in all it’s like night/day! I haven’t got a chance to shoot ol Sac yet, I have to work tomorrow till 3, but then I intend on getting here together, stringing her up, and slinging some before huntin tomorrow eve! Don’t know if she’ll go tomorrow eve, kinda hard to kick the Blueridge to the curb, but, she’ll be going soon! Sorry bout the novel guys! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

She shoots easy. Good right up. Good hunting this season.

Gary

Comment

Good writeup Rusty. Wishing you success with Sac.

Comment

I feel like I know you better now, Rusty! Good write up, and good luck!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

8Great write up Rusty!! Good luck with Sac!!

Comment

Great writeup Rusty... and yeah, I know what bow you are talkin about. In fact, I am hoping to get some arrows tuned up real soon.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Finally got to get Sac put together, strung up, and shoot her abit. Shoots a little different than my Blueridge, especially the fact of the dual shelf riser. Still felt good, no shock, and quiet. May still tune on her a hair, but she's real close. Think I may be able to kill something with her if the critters cooperate. This is right at 20 yds. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
                              Attached Files

Comment

I still feel more comfortable shooting my Blueridge, but Sac and her SR version Blueridge is growing on me. I hunt most everyday once season starts, so I have a feeling she’ll get a chance at something! And I have NO DOUBT she can do it, she’s a shooter for sure, if I can just do my part! And hope ya get something killed with the little Bear Scott! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Working...
                                X