No announcement yet.

Chandeleur Islands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use 12' stringers from the bay to the islands. I have 3 do-nets that havent even been in the water. I dont like a bunch of crap dragging in the water. A net is already too much sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      I switched from a stringer to a donet a few years back... Sometimes and especially around the pass(es), sharks can be a real pest. Heard horror stories about big sharks getting tangled in the donet things, but I've never had an issue and haven't lost a fish since switching to it... even used in the surf pretty easily. If you use a stringer, I'd suggest a 25 footer and be mindful of it floating up around your legs... If it has fish on it, keep it away from your body...

I've had a few donets destroyed by sharks. I had one completely bit off about 9" under the float. The whole bag with 18 trout in it by a BIG shark. It is a floating chum bag. If you want to keep sharks from eating your fish you need a shark bucket. They work great.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
        I've had a few donets destroyed by sharks. I had one completely bit off about 9" under the float. The whole bag with 18 trout in it by a BIG shark. It is a floating chum bag. If you want to keep sharks from eating your fish you need a shark bucket. They work great.
        Dang! Glen if I have an encounter like that, I'd probably become a boat fisherman!! ...or a crappie fisherman!!

Comment

I switched to one of these mesh bags for that very reason. I love it because it is collapsable too. Still not shark proof, but a good middle of the road solution between a donut and bucket.

Attached Files

Comment

WHOA! That sounds crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
              I switched to one of these mesh bags for that very reason. I love it because it is collapsable too. Still not shark proof, but a good middle of the road solution between a donut and bucket.

https://thewadingring.com/

That is exactly what I use now... Used the actual donet one season then found that wade ring...

Comment

We used gig’ems forever last net bag and it worked really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I used a do nut.

Comment

Does anybody know if they sell replacement nets for the do-nets? I had a shark bite a hole in mine last year at the islands and just did a quick repair with zip-ties and fishing line. I have a trip planned to go back to the islands next month so I'm trying to find a replacement.

Comment

What is this shark bucket you speak of? Website?

Comment

Originally posted by AggieSportsman View Post
                        Does anybody know if they sell replacement nets for the do-nets? I had a shark bite a hole in mine last year at the islands and just did a quick repair with zip-ties and fishing line. I have a trip planned to go back to the islands next month so I'm trying to find a replacement.
                        If you can't find one let me know. I think I have a spare do-net in my boat shed in Sargent. I'll take a look for it.

Comment

Originally posted by AggieSportsman View Post
                          What is this shark bucket you speak of? Website?
                          You can make your own. It is literally a bucket or storage tote with holes drilled in it and pool noodle floats around the top.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Just man up boys I use a 4 ft stringer

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post

[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post

Lol...I try. I'm not going to lie, they have had me screaming like a girl a time or two. Especially in dirty water, I don't trust them at all. I like eating trout too much to loose them to those *******s though.

We have had a few wade trips in west bay where the sharks were so bad that we would walk each fish back to the boat holding them out of the water. The fishing was so good we just couldn't leave though.

Comment

Working...
                                X