No announcement yet.

Camp rattlesnakes question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there are a few on this forum....same people , different thread ... LOL after a while you quit taking it personal... they just can't help it. huhhhh huhhhh "rock" i must throw it at somebody! huhhhh huhhhh...

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
      Funny how you can post insults but so far nothing has been proven as fact as to how killing a snake somehow reduces the chances of more coming into camp or how I'm wrong in any way. Because I'm not. It's common sense and facts that I've been posting. Nobody said anyone is wrong whether they choose to kill snakes around camp or whether they don't. But it's fact that as long as they have a reason to be there they will be there regardless. That's not stupid that's just how it is.

Deer camp can be a dangerous place. When you're in the middle of nowhere anything can happen. That's a true statement. I didn't just make these statistics up or this way of thinking. If you're where snakes are your chances of a snake bite goes up. If your kid is running around there, their chances of getting bit goes up. What can you really do about it? Well.......Not a lot if you're out there amongst them. It's always a possibility.

We got kids at our camp, one is mine, he’s 10, we also have a toddler, we watch them all like hawks. I’ve told him until I’m blue in the face to watch where he steps, he knows what snakes are capable of, and that they could be anywhere. The kids are expected to help gather fire wood, go down to the target area and switch their targets when shooting, and help keep camp clean. Plus they goof around camp, doing kid stuff because that’s what being a kid is about. They’re super careful, but they are kids. Careful adults get bit every year. I do t give a **** about your mortality stats or any other. You know how much a care flight ride costs? No. You ever consider what antivenom costs, or how terrifying a snake bite could be to a kiddo? No. You aren’t a father, and you don’t know **** about it, so save your stats and parenting advice.

We keep camp and surrounding area mowed all the time, we spray round up around the trailers, spray and granules for bugs, and keep rat poison out year around. None of that means there couldn’t be a snake hiding somewhere that they can’t see, that could bite them.

We are NOT in their space, camp is our space, that’s what being at the top of the food chain means. I’ll kill any venomous snake I find there because I KNOW 100% THAT snake won’t bite anyone! There’s you a stat. There could be another tomorrow, or another 6’ away that I didn’t see, but THAT one won’t bite anyone, and we ain’t running out of rattlesnakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mill everyone we see around camp the feeders ect. Having kids at the deer lease **** sure isn't stupid or retarded....its one of the best places a kid could be these days. The deer lease us a fun and awesome place for a kid yes they could get hurt get bit whatever but the love being there and as parents we love having them there. F the snakes!

Comment

Dale Moser, you are absolutely correct in your posts. Some folks you just cannot reason with and they like to pass judgement. We do all the things you talk about at our camp also. We educate our kids and encourage adults and kids to wear snake boots. I have been bitten twice by venomous snakes once on the foot and once on the calf. So I know firsthand what it is like to be bite and what goes thru you mind in the aftermath. True there are few deaths but some folks have health issues for the rest of their life due to a snakebite. A friend of mine was bitten by a rattlesnake when he was 7 years old. He was from the country and a kid that spent a lot of time in the outdoors. It was just wrong place at wrong time. Due to the bite his foot never developed correctly and the tissue on the bottom of his foot would rot and stink. In his early 20's he made the decision to have it amputated and go with a prosthetic because of all the issues he was having with his foot.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	D938EA46-5389-4998-A373-05B0A0E262EE.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	24653290

This little sucker was laying on my wood rack under a stack of mesquite logs. I was barbecuing some ribs on Monday and grabbed a mesquite log to give it some smoke and there he was. I have had them in wood piles before but never in stacked wood on a rack. This was on our porch.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              We got kids at our camp, one is mine, he’s 10, we also have a toddler, we watch them all like hawks. I’ve told him until I’m blue in the face to watch where he steps, he knows what snakes are capable of, and that they could be anywhere. The kids are expected to help gather fire wood, go down to the target area and switch their targets when shooting, and help keep camp clean. Plus they goof around camp, doing kid stuff because that’s what being a kid is about. They’re super careful, but they are kids. Careful adults get bit every year. I do t give a **** about your mortality stats or any other. You know how much a care flight ride costs? No. You ever consider what antivenom costs, or how terrifying a snake bite could be to a kiddo? No. You aren’t a father, and you don’t know **** about it, so save your stats and parenting advice.

We keep camp and surrounding area mowed all the time, we spray round up around the trailers, spray and granules for bugs, and keep rat poison out year around. None of that means there couldn’t be a snake hiding somewhere that they can’t see, that could bite them.

We are NOT in their space, camp is our space, that’s what being at the top of the food chain means. I’ll kill any venomous snake I find there because I KNOW 100% THAT snake won’t bite anyone! There’s you a stat. There could be another tomorrow, or another 6’ away that I didn’t see, but THAT one won’t bite anyone, and we ain’t running out of rattlesnakes.

Fair enough. No you ain't gonna run out of snakes. I'd disagree that most people that get bit, especially grown people that get bit are being careful but that's just from knowing the 8 or so people that I know that have been bit and how they got that way.

It's a risk people take. Just like letting a kid ride a horse or anything else. Maybe it'll happen maybe it won't. For the record I do know how much medical expenses are for a snake bite and to airlift someone. Know about the damage they can cause but I'm also aware that a snake bite isn't a death sentence either. I know that more people are bitten trying to catch or kill a snake than there are people not trying to do that. But again that's another statistic. You don't wanna hear that so I won't waste time saying it. I will go so far as to say whether you're relocating or killing one you're in a lot more danger than you'd be letting it crawl off. But that's human nature. People like that thrill. I like catching them myself. But I know what it means to get bit and it don't offer anything I haven't already accepted.

I used to kill every rattlesnake I saw no matter where it was at. Had plenty of close calls. So whether you're a snake killer or someone that puts them in a bucket you're bound to be a statistic. Don't make you any smarter than me or vice versa. In literally the amount of time it takes to blink your can be destined for a hospital stay. Fun stuff.

Comment

...I’ll kill any venomous snake I find [near camp] because I KNOW 100% THAT snake won’t bite anyone! There’s you a stat. There could be another tomorrow, or another 6’ away that I didn’t see, but THAT one won’t bite anyone....
                This is precisely where I land on the subject.

Comment

Ironic that you’d use “retarded”, in that context, while attempting to make yet another stupid point.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Kill them all.......

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                    It's not reproducing fast it's reproducing and having a bunch at one time. They only have babies once a year. Like I said nature has a way of making a come back so killing snakes is about as counter productive as shooting coyotes. They'll just have more babies than normal when it's time.
                    Ok a bunch at one time then. I see 25 at a time as reproducing fast but that's just me . I guess I better step up my game at killing em, especially if they learned to take census and know when to step up theirs at reproducing. I get by your handle you have an affection for them. I don't and I don't see us agreeing on this one.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

So let’s sum this up- a few have died, a small child spent days in the hospital, a guy had his foot amputated due to issues from a bite. Yeah let’s just let em’ crawl away cause they are a good thing to have around. Somebody name me one good thing please.

Comment

Somebody name me one good thing please
                        but,but,but, they kill rats

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
                          but,but,but, they kill rats
                          Right, God sure screwed that one up.
                          Its like guns, look how many people they kill.
                          If we got rid of all em look how many lives would be saved every year due to accidental discharges, shooting in a direction you shouldn't, etc..
                          Even if we couldn't get rid of all em, every gun you did destroy is one that wouldn't kill someone.
                          I guess anything makes sense depending on where your mind is.
                          Hell, people think Biden is the better choice over Trump.
                          Different strokes for different folks and that's fine.
                          I never said don't kill em.
                          It's your choice, and your right, just don't act like you're saving the world, or accomplishing anything.
                          Some enjoy the placebo effect, so by all means.
                          I mean if it saves even 1 life right.....
                          Flame away.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
                            So let’s sum this up- a few have died, a small child spent days in the hospital, a guy had his foot amputated due to issues from a bite. Yeah let’s just let em’ crawl away cause they are a good thing to have around. Somebody name me one good thing please.
                            I don't think people here quite comprehend what I'm saying. Being bitten can be avoided. Every situation so far could be avoided. That's the point I'm trying to make. Nobody said don't kill snakes. Kill them and put yourself at risk too. But don't be whining when you get bit. And you will because it freakin hurts.

I've seen guys walk around in a pit full of thousands of snakes without being bitten. That's not called being careful. So how a grown person can walk on thousands of acres or even an acre of land and get bit while being careful don't make much sense.

Almost sounds to me like people are not being careful. That's just how it sounds.
                            Last edited by okrattler; 06-03-2021, 04:28 PM.

Comment

This is spot on.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I believe we will argue about anything now! It is just a low life snake; kill if you want, kiss it if you want; I do not care, but don't preach your way is the only way. That will irritate everyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X