Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which brand/model for a 4 ton total home Air Conditioner replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which brand/model for a 4 ton total home Air Conditioner replacement?

Looking at spending $6K-$7K. (Keeping existing duct work, etc.)
    House is 2200sq ft. Currently have a 4 ton 10 seer system that is 20 years old and beginning to fail.

Was quoted $6K installed for a Trane 4 ton 14 seer and $7K for the 16 seer. (I'm assuming these are basic/base models.)
    I'm considering looking at a Goodman 2 stage system, but hear mixed reviews about 2 stage or variable speed systems here in Texas.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I have a 5 ton American standard on my 2k sqft house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like you are in Rockwall. We used elliscountyhog here to replace ours a few years ago. Reach out to him. Richard at walker ac in Garland.

Comment

American standard

Comment

Considering you said your unit is 20 years old I’m going to assume your house isn’t as well insulated as modern homes are/can be? If you don’t have a super tight well insulated house then a multi stage system is a massive waste of money, it will run just as much as a single stage and cost you a lot more upfront as well as more on repair if anything happens to go out. If you’re getting quoted 7k for a 16 seer 4ton whole system install I’m kind of concerned that they aren’t also replacing the 20+ year old plenums/ductwork as well, bid just seems low. If they’re a reputable company I’d say go with them but have a talk with your tech in charge/owner about the integrity and R value of your duct work to see if it needs to be re placed or “will be good enough” kind of thing.

Comment

Can't say nowdays...The AC Stuff has changed so much..But knock on wood My TRANE 3.5 or 4 ton is still KOOL'n...My son and I installed it (closet unit and heater) in 1989..Only been touched by me since ..I replaced 2 inside blower motors /1 thermostat /and 3 capacitors in that 32years.. still got same FREON in it never added or anything..

And am not by any means a AC man ...Mechanically and Electrically skilled yes .

My plan is to when the day comes is Replace it with 2 mini splits ...but thats still up for grabs... Fingers CROSSED

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
              Can't say nowdays...The AC Stuff has changed so much..But knock on wood My TRANE 3.5 or 4 ton is still KOOL'n...My son and I installed it (closet unit and heater) in 1989..Only been touched by me since ..I replaced 2 inside blower motors /1 thermostat /and 3 capacitors in that 32years.. still got same FREON in it never added or anything..

And am not by any means a AC man ...Mechanically and Electrically skilled yes .

My plan is to when the day comes is Replace it with 2 mini splits ...but thats still up for grabs... Fingers CROSSED

Hahaha them old tranes are absolute tanks! Bout the only thing that kills them is corrosion over x amount of years. Mini splits are wonderful till you find all the spaces you can’t condition easily like the bathroom/hallways[emoji23]

Comment

Trane had a bad batch of coils back in 2010 might check reviews and make sure this has been corrected

Comment

We went with Daikan to replace our 22yo Trane on the recommendation of our 20 year AC guy who also sells Trane. Daikan was highly recommended on several TBH posts as well and my research showed similar great reviews. He redid some duct work in places I wanted a little cooler and **** what a difference the whole system has made in our house. The wife is happy so I am as well...lol He did a quote for Trane as well and it was higher but not enough to sway me to chose the Daikan because of cost. I was concerned about all the Trane coil issues I have read about on here and other pages I frequent. That an his recommendations swayed me. He's been a straight shooter for 20 years even going as far as telling me I didn't need a new system with a slight coil leak for a several years. He said, we can give it a shot of freon each March (using my freon) and when it becomes more frequent than once a year, its time to get new. Well that was this year so here we are. I figured I'd listen to him since he hasn't tried to take me to the cleaners in 20 years..

Comment

I work for Daikin/Gooodman, all manufacturers have some kind of issues, I have been in this industry for over 30 yrs, American standard/Trane same thing comes from same plant, Daikin,Goodman, and Amana and others as well are like chev to GMC, it is really based on the install, I will say 2 stage variable is great for comfort runs low speed most of the time so does not draw much, it is like you fridge technology runs a lot but on low speed and maintains humidity better but is more expensive than 14 or 16, if your system is old r22, you will save with a new 14 or 16 and r22 is almost gone for good so that system is getting pricy to mess with.

Comment

Originally posted by cwt1026 View Post
                      i work for daikin/gooodman, all manufacturers have some kind of issues, i have been in this industry for over 30 yrs, american standard/trane same thing comes from same plant, daikin,goodman, and amana and others as well are like chev to gmc, it is really based on the install, i will say 2 stage variable is great for comfort runs low speed most of the time so does not draw much, it is like you fridge technology runs a lot but on low speed and maintains humidity better but is more expensive than 14 or 16, if your system is old r22, you will save with a new 14 or 16 and r22 is almost gone for good so that system is getting pricy to mess with.
                      truth

Comment

Thanks all.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Not to muddy the water, but we’ve had some very good experiences with Bosch. Worth a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            We went with Daikan to replace our 22yo Trane on the recommendation of our 20 year AC guy who also sells Trane. Daikan was highly recommended on several TBH posts as well and my research showed similar great reviews. He redid some duct work in places I wanted a little cooler and **** what a difference the whole system has made in our house. The wife is happy so I am as well...lol He did a quote for Trane as well and it was higher but not enough to sway me to chose the Daikan because of cost. I was concerned about all the Trane coil issues I have read about on here and other pages I frequent. That an his recommendations swayed me. He's been a straight shooter for 20 years even going as far as telling me I didn't need a new system with a slight coil leak for a several years. He said, we can give it a shot of freon each March (using my freon) and when it becomes more frequent than once a year, its time to get new. Well that was this year so here we are. I figured I'd listen to him since he hasn't tried to take me to the cleaners in 20 years..
                            X2 on the Daikan!

Comment

Working...
                            X