No announcement yet.

Opinions on why its so hard to find leases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s been mentioned already but explanations aren’t required other than supply and demand.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
      Got any good deals on land coming up?
      Give me a call if you are on the hunt! Got several TBHers in the chute now and 90% of what I am moving is not on the open market

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
        Too many people and too few available properties. Population is growing and acreage available for hunting is dwindling quickly. Plain and simple. When supply is low and demand is high the select few get to partake. That means more money, and good references. Most of the good properties have people waiting to get on, and they are all people a lease member knows or is related to.
        I’ll agree with this.

Also, I think lots of south texas was affected by oil and gas production which made leasing unnecessary for some landowners. Solar and wind are not going help the supply of leasable land. I see lots of outfitters on the outdoor channels who have land/hunting rights leases also.

In addition, people moving to the country (like me) and buying land with no intention of leasing. As a matter of fact, the poor souls who had leased my new property had been there 17 yrs.

Keep positive and in touch with all your hunting friends with leases.

Comment

Opinions on why its so hard to find leases

Last edited by Jtrage; 11-24-2022, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
            Give me a call if you are on the hunt! Got several TBHers in the chute now and 90% of what I am moving is not on the open market
            If you start dealing in NE OK into NW Arkansas let me know. Like Sequoyah County, OK to Madison County, AR or thereabouts.

I like the hills......

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
              This is the answer. And here's why I think the supply has dwindled.

Years ago there was still a good amount of ranchers who needed the income from hunting so they could afford to keep ranching. Ranching alone is not a very profitable business. Not like it was in the days of old. Now you need a good income to support a ranching habit.

Some very large ranches that were previously leased for hunting have been purchased by individuals that obviously don't need the money, headaches, or liability from leasing hunting rights. One example is a ranch that I know that was 100,000+ acres bought by an individual. It is hunted by family and friends. At one hunter per 500 acres that is 200 hunters that got thrown into the looking for a lease crowd. How many other ranches on a much smaller basis have had the same thing happen.

Recreational ranching is at a high point. People who can afford to buy property are doing so. Nothing like having your own place and not having to deal with hunting lease drama. People who can afford it buy more than they need for themselves. Thus displacing more hunters and adding them to the looking for a lease pool. If they do sell hunts its package hunts. With package hunts there are a set number of days dealing with "outside" hunters. Who wants to deal with lease hunters every time you go to your ranch for some peace and solitude? Not me.

I sell ranch land for a living, so I get to see the ground level view as well as the birds eye and you summed it up perfectly.

Season Leasing is simply getting to be an outdated concept. Outfitters running package hunts is going to be more the norm if a landowner chooses to lease at all. I get calls from landowners on a rare occasion asking If I know any reputable outfitters who are good to do business with. Never got a call from one looking to lease it out for the season or put together a group long term.

Lots of folks ( most former leasees themselves ) are buying recreational ranches for themselves and family to hunt. Development is eating up some leases, sure, but the majority of people buying land currently being leased are doing so for their personal enjoyment

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                If you start dealing in NE OK into NW Arkansas let me know. Like Sequoyah County, OK to Madison County, AR or thereabouts.

I like the hills......
                There isn't a square inch of Oklahoma that I do not operate in! It you want to get into any part of Arkansas, I have people there as well that will square you away! Call me anytime Mike if I am able to assist

Comment

Some people just flat out don’t want to deal with hunters. I hunt a place around Abilene on 6000 acres. I end up getting to hunt 3-4 evenings with the ranch manager. He’s a good dude and we’ve become friends over the years…it usually cost me a handle of whiskey. I see a ton of deer. The landowner doesn’t need the money and isn’t concerned with the deer.

We sit in his truck till the deer show up in the winter wheat field.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                    I sell ranch land for a living, so I get to see the ground level view as well as the birds eye and you summed it up perfectly.

Season Leasing is simply getting to be an outdated concept. Outfitters running package hunts is going to be more the norm if a landowner chooses to lease at all. I get calls from landowners on a rare occasion asking If I know any reputable outfitters who are good to do business with. Never got a call from one looking to lease it out for the season or put together a group long term.

Lots of folks ( most former leasees themselves ) are buying recreational ranches for themselves and family to hunt. Development is eating up some leases, sure, but the majority of people buying land currently being leased are doing so for their personal enjoyment
                    This is why lease prices should go up... a lot IMO
                    I've never seen something with so much demand that sells so fast where the price doesn't rise a lot faster. Seems like leases have always been hard to snatch up.

Comment

I think the basic rule I learned in Economics 101 is called Supply and Demand---too many folks looking and not enough landowners leasing.

Comment

Lots of lands are getting developed. I know of probably 20 big deer leases that are either now subdivisions or highway easements. They’re not making anymore land and the people just keep coming like rats !

Comment

We leased out hunting country many years ago. I can tell you from personal experience it is not worth it for the hunters we had. Never again.

Comment

Networking I have turned down a few leases from total strangers just by talking to them in H‑E‑B, feed stores and friends. They are out there. I love my lease in the hill country. Been here 27 years in the same blind. Dad has been here over 50 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                              Good deer leases don’t need to advertise. The one I’m on has had a waiting list to get on for years, just from word of mouth from current members.

If a lease with big deer has to post an ad to fill members it’s usually for a reason.
                              THIS 100% its a "buddy" system-- people straight up dont want to lease land to or hunt with people they dont know... also, once your on a good place, it hard to let it go.

Comment

Working...
                              X