Opinions on why its so hard to find leases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hunteraudit View Post
    Steve Rinella and Joe Rogan have a heavy hand in the demise of average man hunting.
    What? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
      By some land in the Ozarks or Oklahoma. Sure you gotta drive but plan your trip where you can stay a while. We bought one of our tracts cash then put half down on a contiguous tract. If I hadn’t went and gotten old I would have purchased land in one of the two states mentioned.
      Been looking at the for a couple of years, 160ac ( which isnt much in the scheme of things ) is $400k and up. Hard for the average person to justify that even if they can swing it

And its 8+hrs which rules out weekend hunting

Comment

Originally posted by Jamerendino View Post
        I think it's hard because it's an invite only party. All the good ones, cheap or expensive, close or far, have someone on the lease. That someone finds the next members. It's not hard to fill. It's a 10 walking into a bar at 2 a.m kinda thing.

Open your network or contacts and let your friends know your looking, then remind them until you find something. Customer service or sales friends are great to remind as they interact and talk to a lot of people.

You can also package hunt and let the landowner or outfitter know you're looking. Sometimes they say screw guiding and switch to a lease structure.

My .02. Hope it helps.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
        Originally posted by James View Post
        Good deer leases don’t need to advertise. The one I’m on has had a waiting list to get on for years, just from word of mouth from current members.

If a lease with big deer has to post an ad to fill members it’s usually for a reason.
        These exactly. If you have to advertise for spots and can't fill them from current membership or a couple phone calls...

This may be the first season I haven't been asked to get on place in the last 5 or 6 years.
        Steve Rinella and Joe Rogan have a heavy hand in the demise of average man hunting.
        Expand?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jamerendino View Post
          I think it's hard because it's an invite only party. All the good ones, cheap or expensive, close or far, have someone on the lease. That someone finds the next members. It's not hard to fill.
          Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
          Lots of truth to this. A group is less likely to bring in “outsiders” they don’t know.

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
            The lease game drove me to purchase as well
            Got any good deals on land coming up?

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
              Good deer leases don’t need to advertise. The one I’m on has had a waiting list to get on for years, just from word of mouth from current members.

If a lease with big deer has to post an ad to fill members it’s usually for a reason.
              This right here is one of the best answers. There is a reason there is also an "interview" process before being selected to join a leas now as well.

Comment

Please explain as I believe there are many factors in play and it’s not these 2! Ha…

There have been some very valid points in this thread regarding the reason good leases are hard to find. We hav been on the same one for 30+ years and have a very good relationship with the LO. We take care of the property and help when needed. We’ve seen members on other leases trash a place and the land owners have many friends that own large ranches and hear horror stories of how crappy some hunters are.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                  By some land in the Ozarks or Oklahoma. Sure you gotta drive but plan your trip where you can stay a while. We bought one of our tracts cash then put half down on a contiguous tract. If I hadn’t went and gotten old I would have purchased land in one of the two states mentioned.
                  Noooooo. Don’t do to us what you’ve done to yourselves

Comment

Landowners getting tired of dealing with hunters and the issues they bring.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                      Very simple - demand for hunting lease land outweighs supply.
                      This is the answer. And here's why I think the supply has dwindled.

Years ago there was still a good amount of ranchers who needed the income from hunting so they could afford to keep ranching. Ranching alone is not a very profitable business. Not like it was in the days of old. Now you need a good income to support a ranching habit.

Some very large ranches that were previously leased for hunting have been purchased by individuals that obviously don't need the money, headaches, or liability from leasing hunting rights. One example is a ranch that I know that was 100,000+ acres bought by an individual. It is hunted by family and friends. At one hunter per 500 acres that is 200 hunters that got thrown into the looking for a lease crowd. How many other ranches on a much smaller basis have had the same thing happen.

Recreational ranching is at a high point. People who can afford to buy property are doing so. Nothing like having your own place and not having to deal with hunting lease drama. People who can afford it buy more than they need for themselves. Thus displacing more hunters and adding them to the looking for a lease pool. If they do sell hunts its package hunts. With package hunts there are a set number of days dealing with "outside" hunters. Who wants to deal with lease hunters every time you go to your ranch for some peace and solitude? Not me.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                        This is the answer. And here's why I think the supply has dwindled.

Years ago there was still a good amount of ranchers who needed the income from hunting so they could afford to keep ranching. Ranching alone is not a very profitable business. Not like it was in the days of old. Now you need a good income to support a ranching habit.

Some very large ranches that were previously leased for hunting have been purchased by individuals that obviously don't need the money, headaches, or liability from leasing hunting rights. One example is a ranch that I know that was 100,000+ acres bought by an individual. It is hunted by family and friends. At one hunter per 500 acres that is 200 hunters that got thrown into the looking for a lease crowd. How many other ranches on a much smaller basis have had the same thing happen.

Recreational ranching is at a high point. People who can afford to buy property are doing so. Nothing like having your own place and not having to deal with hunting lease drama. People who can afford it buy more than they need for themselves. Thus displacing more hunters and adding them to the looking for a lease pool. If they do sell hunts its package hunts. With package hunts there are a set number of days dealing with "outside" hunters. Who wants to deal with lease hunters every time you go to your ranch for some peace and solitude? Not me.
                        Explained it better than I could - thanks

Comment

As said, a lot of the better places get filled up for within. On our place most members have 2 to 3 spots and are absorbed. We went from 30 spots to 15 and everyone has 2 spots.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

For starters it is way easier to find a spot for one than it is 3. I would look for yourself a spot and then If they have more openings worry about your friends

Comment

There are also a lot of land owners who have moved into the breeding game & selling of individual hunts vs year round...same folks who don't need the $$$$ but like the $$$$.

Comment

Population growth plus a heavy supply of cheap money/debt.

Hope you find what you are looking for. Best plan is to find a place for yourself and then maybe have a guest option to bring your buddy occasionally.

You may get on the tax website and start writing letters (handwritten only) to landowners. Include all your personal details and see if you get a bite.

Comment

Working...
                                X