Opinions on why its so hard to find leases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why its so hard to find a lease?
    This is due to unrealistic expectations between either the prospective hunter, landowner, or both. It's not hard to find a lease, but it is hard to find a lease that will meet your expectations cost, distance, amenities, critter population ect.

Reasons why those expectations are off?
    Everything listed by others, supply vs demand changing, networking necessity, land ownership changing, ect...

Comment

Very simple - demand for hunting lease land outweighs supply.
      Reasons - urban development and decline in large cattle ranches mainly.
      Land is either being bought up by developers or purchased for personal recreation. Less used for strictly agricultural purposes where it makes sense to lease to hunters for a little extra income. Props to the landowners that can put up with lease hunters. I couldn’t do it.

Comment

Liability

Comment

I agree with the expectations of both parties has changed. Neither side knows how to make a deal mutually beneficial.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good deer leases don’t need to advertise. The one I’m on has had a waiting list to get on for years, just from word of mouth from current members.

If a lease with big deer has to post an ad to fill members it’s usually for a reason.

Comment

Yep, basically it appears you have to know someone to find a lease when they have a spot open.

Or write letters, which is what I am doing. Luckily, I have some private family land to hunt and I am not afraid to hunt public as well to try and find a good buck. However, I am always looking for a good spot, whether it is in Texas or Kansas.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
                With the amount of people from California and New York moving to central Texas the available hunting properties are getting few and far between. Top that with windmill, solar and oil the land owners do not need hunters to pay the taxes any more.
                YES And don't forget the Floridians!!!
                They have bought up over 10,000 acres around us out here in Brady and are still buying.. They now own land on 2 sides of us and are working on a 3rd.. They bought several big chunks of the FORD also..

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                  Lots of people have bought land to hunt for themselves and their families. Almost all of the people I have hunted with in the past own their ranches and don’t lease anymore.
                  That is what I did, own 3 places, they are not real big but they all have very good hunting, I wanted my kids to always have a place to go.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                    Lots of people have bought land to hunt for themselves and their families. Almost all of the people I have hunted with in the past own their ranches and don’t lease anymore.
                    The lease game drove me to purchase as well

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                      Very simple - demand for hunting lease land outweighs supply.
                      Reasons - urban development and decline in large cattle ranches mainly.
                      Land is either being bought up by developers or purchased for personal recreation. Less used for strictly agricultural purposes where it makes sense to lease to hunters for a little extra income. Props to the landowners that can put up with lease hunters. I couldn’t do it.
                      This I agree with. If I owned several hundred acres, I don't think I could lease it out to strangers.
                      However, I've been on my lease 13 years and the owner trust us to treat the ranch as if it were our own. It's been a good arrangement.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                        YES And don't forget the Floridians!!!
                        They have bought up over 10,000 acres around us out here in Brady and are still buying.. They now own land on 2 sides of us and are working on a 3rd.. They bought several big chunks of the FORD also..
                        I thought the City of San Angelo bought the Ford, for water.

Comment

Here’s your answer
                          G R E E D!

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
                            I thought the City of San Angelo bought the Ford, for water.
                            They did, they own the water rights and then sold the ranch.

Comment

By some land in the Ozarks or Oklahoma. Sure you gotta drive but plan your trip where you can stay a while. We bought one of our tracts cash then put half down on a contiguous tract. If I hadn’t went and gotten old I would have purchased land in one of the two states mentioned.

Comment

Steve Rinella and Joe Rogan have a heavy hand in the demise of average man hunting.

Comment

Working...
                                X