interesting video about how deer see

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interesting video about how deer see

Discover the differences in how humans and deer see color and movement and what that means for hunters, as well as other important research to come out of th...

pretty interesting video about how deer see color and movement

thanks for posting - very informative. It's remarkable how little movement it takes to get busted by a deer. I've never been very good at sitting still so it has happened to me a lot when hunting from a tripod. I really have to hide it well and brush it in.

Comment

Very interesting. Thx for sharing.

Comment

That was great. Very informative. Sent the link to my dad.

Thanks

Comment

Hints why Crossbow is not bow hunting . Got to move to draw a bow !!

Comment

Interesting video

Comment

Interesting, thanks for sharing. In summary:
              Don't wear blue jean
              Be still
              Liked the science behind it and makes sense.

Comment

Saw that on Wednesday and thought it was very interesting.

Comment

I knew this about horses, but not deer. Makes since though, as they are pretty close physiology wise.
                  They once had a horse, that they thought could count. Scientist didn't believe it though, so they started studying the horse. Come to find out, horses are like polygraph test. Their eyes can detect such little movement, they can watch your blood vessels swell or constrict, even if it only last half a second. They can detect your skin rising or falling, from a quickened heartbeat, etc..no matter how subtle. So when they ask the horse 9x17, and they name off 10 answers, the horse picks the right answer everytime, just by watching your body, do something, you're not even aware of. Nature is mind blowing.

Comment

in to watch after work.

Comment

I honestly thought people knew all this. Just like when you wash your camo a few times, it looks blue to a deer because of the UV enhancers in detergent. Put your gear under a black light and it will look like those blue jeans in the video. Even that scent free crap they sell has it.

Comment

With this guy being a vision expert you would think he could see he needs to work on that hair style......

-john

Comment

Does this mean I can go back to Walmart camo?

Comment

All I wear is blue denim lol.

Comment

Confirms, from this video at least, what I have practiced in hunting situations for several years now. Last season was probably my last elevated blind hunting until and IF I get my knee fixed and hip replacement revised. So, that means I've gone to hunting a sendero from our family Ranger UTV. Last year I took my largest buck from a 10' enclosed blind. The rest of the season the physical limitations progressively got worse so it was time in the UTV.

Here's the deal...the Ranger is red with a black roof. I sat many an hour facing the sendero, one of the only areas on our lease with up to a 400 yard distance rifle shot. I watched many a deer, both does and bucks follow the corn trail progressing toward my sitting location. I parked the UTV right in the middle of a pasture road. They would look my way, some of them, I think because it was out of the norm? After a while, almost none of them would spook. I would watch and restrict ANY movement until their heads were down and going after the corn we had put down (scattered over about 75 +- yards) down the pasture road.

I NEVER used any type of Camo wrap from the base of the windshield to the top, but if I moved suddenly, spooked them almost every time AND up to probably 200 +- yards? I learned to try to NOT move and if I had to, it was very slow and pausing as much as possible. During colder moments, I had on a black skull cap and a camo jacket but again, the red color of our UTV did not seem to make them that nervous.

That all said, I used to bow hunt but again, as time marches on with various physical limitations....and also used to do the washing, etc., it does not apply to my situation much anymore.

My current method works for me and just maybe, maybe, another trophy will walk that road this year and bam.....memories, good eating and another wall hanger?

Comment

Working...
                              X