IVF Medication Cost Rant/Beware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Craw3773 View Post
    I know with some insurance companies, you can pay cash. And then be reimbursed. It may be worth taking a look.

This - Talk to your insurance company and see if this is an option.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
      And people killing em fast as they can smh....
      Beijing Biden to reverse the Trump "Mexico Policy" today by Executive Order which prohibited US taxpayer dollars from funding abortions in foreign countries. SMH

----

Good Luck and be thankful you have insurance. I would suggest following up with insurance to see about cash pay as mentioned above - great idea.

Comment

We’ll send prayer your way. We had to do a couple rounds of iui and were getting ready for ivf if the second round didn’t work. We were blessed with a little girl who will be 3 in April. It was cheaper for me to pay out of pocket than it was through insurance. It’s an absolute beat down mentally but you have to stay as positive as you can. I felt terrible watch my wife give herself shots nightly but it was worth it. If i remember right the trigger shot alone was over $1k but they would have billed insurance over $3k

I’ve spent money on dumber ways, it’s worth every penny and all the frustration in the long run

Comment

Sorry to hear man. We had much difficulty getting pregnant as well. We started with 3 rounds of IUI, all of which cost well more than we were quoted. After none of those worked we were given the option of exploratory surgery on the wife, or IVF. We decided to roll the dice on the surgery, since it was much cheaper. Lucky for us, they discovered some endometriosis, lasered it off, and we were pregnant with our first 2 months later.

The whole healthcare system is a racket. As many know, that first child of ours came 4 months early with some serious health issues. We still receive new bills to this day for this which was 2.5 years ago now. They continue to "resubmit" bills that we knew nothing about. I lost it about 6 months ago and very frankly told them they would not be receiving another dime from me.

Hope it all works out sir. As others have said, try to focus on the outcome of it all and not the finances.

Comment

Thanks for the support y’all. I know that it will be worth it in the end, but right now it is a mental *** whooping.

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
            Man I hope ya’ll are successful in having kids. I love mine but why do you think insurance should be covering any of it?

Kids are like a car wreck money-wise and if I ran an insurance company I wouldn’t be encouraging people to have a car wreck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I never said there was any expectation that insurance covers it. We went into this process without even knowing that was a thing. But since her insurance does provide some coverage, we want to make the most of it. My complaint is that the money would go a lot further if the amount billed to the insurance company were the same as the cash price.

Comment

We spent roughly $25k out of pocket but have a beautiful little boy to show for it! It was a tough pill to swallow spending that much money but it’s all worth it in the end. We still have 2 embryos frozen. We used Dr Kauffman at ft worth fertility and highly recommend him!
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                I know there’s gotta be people out there who weren’t as lucky as us and are still paying the financial toll. And they’d probably do it again for the chance because I know the desperation that they felt to have a child, as I feel it.

Praying for great news in the coming weeks.

We are in this group, we have one daughter born in 15 from a surgery to clear endo and cysts. We tried in 19 via IVF since the chance was very low for another natural. Cost was way over what they quoted us and insurance only covered 2 doctors visits. Everything else out of pocket, we hope to try again this summer since we have 4 embryos left frozen from the first try in 19, but unsure of continuing after if unsuccessful again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                  Thanks for the support y’all. I know that it will be worth it in the end, but right now it is a mental *** whooping.

I never said there was any expectation that insurance covers it. We went into this process without even knowing that was a thing. But since her insurance does provide some coverage, we want to make the most of it. My complaint is that the money would go a lot further if the amount billed to the insurance company were the same as the cash price.

The reason I was asking is I think you guys may be getting hit by the office by what’s called a buy and bill model. You’re paying the markup put on by the docs office. I’d reach out to the drug manufacturer and ask do they have a patient assistance program. Also, ask your insurance company can you pay cash for the medication and not use the insurance benefits for that.

Comment

I paid for all of it as my company covered zero. I begged borrowed and sold almost every toy I had. That being said my boy just turned 4. Best money I ever spent.

Comment

Pay cash for meds if you can. Call around to smaller pharmacies. We ended up sourcing from several different places. I think we got a majority of stuff from a pharmacy in Miami. And yeah, those shots suck.

Comment

Have you tried negotiating directly? I've never done it, but it may be an option.

Comment

Originally posted by josh3 View Post
                          We spent roughly $25k out of pocket but have a beautiful little boy to show for it! It was a tough pill to swallow spending that much money but it’s all worth it in the end. We still have 2 embryos frozen. We used Dr Kauffman at ft worth fertility and highly recommend him!
                          We used Kauffman too, he's great. They were the ones that let us know about buying meds direct, I think it was from a company in AZ. They sent over the prescription a we just had them delivered to the house

Comment

I feel your pain. We tried it 6 times.

Comment

Our insurance does not cover anything. We purchased the drugs for IVF direct, and it still cost $5k. We went about $22K out of pocket on the first go round and don't have a single viable embryo to show for it. Now we have to decide whether to borrow the money at poor interest rates to try again.
                              Last edited by El General; 01-20-2021, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Leave it to the handful of people to make this a political post. Geez.

El_General, I can't imagine going through all that without an embryo. It has to be devastating. The cash is one thing, the mental toll and the effects of all those hormones / shots / etc... is something else.

Our first round we got 1 viable egg and that one egg worked.

The second round we got 2 viable eggs and one worked. Will try the last one next year.

We are also of the belief that a fertilized egg is a baby, so we will give the last egg a shot even though we are both getting too old for infants lol

If anyone needs a referral for someone in the Southlake or Dallas area, shoot me a PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X