Need help changing out a barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help changing out a barrel

I just traded for an AR in 6.5 Grendel. Long story short it shot all over the place. I bought a APR barrel but need to get it changed out. Does anybody have the tools or a gunsmith in the Dallas area that can change it out for me?

Do you know what type barrel nut is on it now? If it's just a delta ring, you can get the tools at academy pretty cheap. They ain't difficult to change.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by roughneck266 View Post
      Do you know what type barrel nut is on it now? If it's just a delta ring, you can get the tools at academy pretty cheap. They ain't difficult to change.

It is not. It is a 15" handguard. It has an area that looks like you can loosen it with a regular large wrench. I will get a picture of it tonight. I dont have a vice or the tools to hold it in the vice to break it loose.

Comment

Yeah, that's where it gets a little different. all kinds of different wrenches out there. If it is normal wrench flats. I prolly have the stuff you need, but unfortunately a pretty long drive.

Comment

Yeah, that's where it gets a little different. all kinds of different wrenches out there. If it is normal wrench flats. I prolly have the stuff you need, but unfortunately a pretty long drive.
          Yea the handguard is put on by 6 screws once the nut is on. It looks like a regular large nut in the middle and the HG screws are on each side of it. Ill post a picture tonight. Its starting to confuse me so its probably confusing you. LOL

Comment

What area of Dallas are you located in? I have vice, and tools but I may not have your specific barrel nut wrench. Also, post a pic of the rail and if you know it, the manufacturer. If you can get that we can figure out the barrel but wrench needed

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter2989 View Post
              What area of Dallas are you located in? I have vice, and tools but I may not have your specific barrel nut wrench. Also, post a pic of the rail and if you know it, the manufacturer. If you can get that we can figure out the barrel but wrench needed

I live almost downtown Dallas at 75 and Lovers. It’s a Bear Creek upper (which is the reason for the new barrel). It really just looks like it takes a big wrench. The biggest one I have is an inch and a quarter and it a little to small. Here is a couple of pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9287.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	24579830

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9286.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	24579831

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's 1 3/16". Or if you have a crescent hammer with slender enough jaws... BCA isn't known for tightening stuff, so it's possible you could get it off with a strap wrench and a 1 3/16" wrench. Are you going o use the same hand guard?
                I would imagine you will be able to find someone local with the necessary tools.

Comment

Make sure there are not any set screws in any of those threaded holes. One of mine, had set screws to keep it from moving. If there are any set screws, those will need to be removed before trying to loosen the barrel retaining nut.

Comment

White Settlement here (W FTW), I do not have a normal wrench to get it off, but I do have an AR-15 tool and the vice block for the upper. If you are replacing the nut and handguard, a pipe wrench can get it off. I have an ARP 6.5 Grendel upper that I built as well.

Comment

It's 1 3/16". Or if you have a crescent hammer with slender enough jaws... BCA isn't known for tightening stuff, so it's possible you could get it off with a strap wrench and a 1 3/16" wrench. Are you going o use the same hand guard?
                      I would imagine you will be able to find someone local with the necessary tools.

Ok thank you. I do like the handguard so yes I plan on using it.

Comment

Thanks guys I’ll see to find out more. I did not even think about looking for set screws.

Comment

Give Gunmaster in Plano a call. Off 75 & Spring Creek. Don't know if they have a gunsmith on staff but a couple of the guys have some experience and the tools.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                            Ok thank you. I do like the handguard so yes I plan on using it.

If you dont have any luck let me know. I will mail you a crowsfoot and you can se d it back when you're done.

Comment

I just checked my stuff, I don’t have that size crows foot. I do have vice, blocks, torque stuff and know how if you need someone to help. I’m all the way up in Mckinney though.

Comment

Working...
                              X