Javelina in Wise County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    You guys who have occasional sightings need to shoot your 2 per license year if given the opportunity and bring everyone else you can convince to come to take their 2 as well!! They are MUCH worse than hogs!! At least hogs, you can shoot on sight as many as you see... these little sapsuckers are a game animal and our great state has decided 2 per year is enough for each of us to kill. So if you just watch 'em won't be long 'til you will have enough that you can't control them alone... legally.
    We had a healthy population until a neighbor decided to treat them like hogs and decimated them.

I am not for wiping out a native animal. I saw 2 total last year. I won't be killing those.

Comment

We used to legally kill as many as we could, for the past 15-20 years we rarely kill them, if we have a guest or a kid that really wants one we let them take one, they are really not a problem to us.

Comment

Had them on our place on the Pease River just northeast of Crowell. They stayed on the Hardeman side of the river.

Comment

my buddy in quanah has several groups scattered around his ranch.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
            You better clean them also cause you can’t throw them out like hogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I shoot one, I do my best to pick out a sow. Javelina is some of THE BEST meat you will ever eat! I've not had good luck with boars... can't seem to get that "smell/musk" out of them, but the sows are MUCH better than deer. I've done the blind taste test many, many times both at camp and at home with javelina, deer meat, elk, beef, and the javelina (as long as it is a clean sow), has won out every single time when using the chicken fried or pulled/smoked meat as a comparative cooking methods.
            Boars make good tamales, but I try not to shoot them.

Comment

When I was up in Lubbock after school and working in the courthouse in Lamesa, I was driving down 87 and had a couple cross the road in front of me just outside of Tahoka. I actually made a thread on here about it with pictures. I had never seen any up in that area and I was all over that country running dove, duck, goose and crane hunts.

Comment

When I shoot one, I do my best to pick out a sow. Javelina is some of THE BEST meat you will ever eat! I've not had good luck with boars... can't seem to get that "smell/musk" out of them, but the sows are MUCH better than deer. I've done the blind taste test many, many times both at camp and at home with javelina, deer meat, elk, beef, and the javelina (as long as it is a clean sow), has won out every single time when using the chicken fried or pulled/smoked meat as a comparative cooking methods.
                Boars make good tamales, but I try not to shoot them.

Buddy shot a boar at my place and said it was bad. Gonna have to try the sow.

Comment

I've seen a few dead ones on the side of the roads within 2 miles of my house on the edge of Abilene in past years. My dad saw a big group of them in Briscoe County in the Panhandle a couple years ago as well, on the boundary of Caprock Canyons State Park.

Comment

a friends place about 10min SE of jacksboro has had them on trail cams a couple of times over the past few years

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                      Buddy shot a boar at my place and said it was bad. Gonna have to try the sow.

When I shoot one, I usually hang it up right there and skin it via the gutless method. Don't mess with that gland on their back. It is in the skin and will totally come off as you skin it. Keep your hands off the meat when skinning. Once skinned, I change gloves (surgical gloves used in skinning), then debone the carcass while it's still hanging and put the meat in a 2 gallon ziploc bag and ice down right away... There is no State requirement to have to quarter a javelina like a deer or antelope, so you can take it completely apart and leave everything you don't intend to eat in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                        Had them on our place on the Pease River just northeast of Crowell. They stayed on the Hardeman side of the river.
                        Used to hunt that area, Potsky was the landowner.

Comment

Originally posted by red View Post
                          a friends place about 10min SE of jacksboro has had them on trail cams a couple of times over the past few years
                          We are only 20 minutes from there. You’re the first post that had a sighting close to us in Bridgeport.

Comment

You guys who have occasional sightings need to shoot your 2 per license year if given the opportunity and bring everyone else you can convince to come to take their 2 as well!! They are MUCH worse than hogs!! At least hogs, you can shoot on sight as many as you see... these little sapsuckers are a game animal and our great state has decided 2 per year is enough for each of us to kill. So if you just watch 'em won't be long 'til you will have enough that you can't control them alone... legally.
                            What’s wrong with them?

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
                              What’s wrong with them?

One or 2, even a few every now and then is not a real problem, but #1, nothing will come into the feeder or where you intend to shoot if there are javelina there. #2, If you don't keep their numbers in check, they will continue to multiply and being somewhat of a herd animal, you'll soon go from 1 or 2 or a few to 40... Get a few hunts messed up by them during peak hunting times, and you'll see real quick what's wrong with them... They will flat out smap at and chase anything that comes into your area away. If you're looking at a nice buck coming in and all of a sudden, he wheels his head around and takes off like he's been shot at, you'll know javelina are on their way in...

Comment

One or 2, even a few every now and then is not a real problem, but #1, nothing will come into the feeder or where you intend to shoot if there are javelina there. #2, If you don't keep their numbers in check, they will continue to multiply and being somewhat of a herd animal, you'll soon go from 1 or 2 or a few to 40... Get a few hunts messed up by them during peak hunting times, and you'll see real quick what's wrong with them... They will flat out smap at and chase anything that comes into your area away. If you're looking at a nice buck coming in and all of a sudden, he wheels his head around and takes off like he's been shot at, you'll know javelina are on their way in...
                                I don't think they make as good a livin up here, as they do down south. Not sure why, but I've been seeing a few pics a year for 20 years in the same place. Maybe the cooler weather is harder on them, maybe the number of coyotes, not sure..

Comment

Working...
                                X