generator group buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Twist View Post
    I actually bought this exact generator not quite a month before the freeze hit and was dang glad I did. I had some neighbors who were more than happy to pull some from it while the power was down as well.

The 30 amp transfer plug is definitely going on the meter box before hurricane season gets here.
    Curious how much they were running before the storm, mind sharing the price?

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
      That is a big 240v plug, so if you hooked it up to your panel you would not have to rebalance the system or put in a transfer switch. Depending on the size of your house it may run just about everything. I know it would run my shoebox here, I would just have to manually choose either the AC or the water heater. The downside with a 110v generator is you have to have all of your circuits on the same leg. This may require you to move some breakers around, not a huge deal but I do not want to do it at my house. I currently run a small generator and extension cords. I want to be able to plug in 240 into my main panel and manually turn on what I need using the breakers I already have. 11,000 watts if a ton or power and will use a lot of fuel.
      Yep....you can run your water well and water heater and septic too. That's a huge deal when you don't have public utilities. You may have to rotate some equipment....but it's a kabillion times better than nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
        It is better for what you are wanting. Most of the generators have 20amp's with gfi's and in my experience plugging into the 30 amp is better and less likely to trip than the 20amp, by about 10 amps

Amazon has a 30amp plug/short cord with 4 110 outlets on the other end that works good.
        So do you have to build a cord with the 30 amp prongs for the genny and somehow convert it to 120?

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
          Curious how much they were running before the storm, mind sharing the price?
          Common price ie Amazon, Home Depot, etc was $882 plus tax so the figure in the OP is pretty much spot on.

Edited to add - Amazon is still showing it at $882.25 so they haven’t jumped the price up. I’d say it’s a pretty good buy at $700 but that is from limited experience with it.
          Last edited by Twist; 02-23-2021, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
            So do you have to build a cord with the 30 amp prongs for the genny and somehow convert it to 120?
            You can buy one. The 240V is just 2 120V legs.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
              They sell them on Amazon.

Comment

You will love it bobby...I built my chord but was working for a cable mfg / disty at the time & got the inside deal. Plug into the panel & just run the casa like normal. Mine is 6500 & have only used it once back during hurricane season. I only used the 120 & was going to throw the hot water breaker but we were only out 24 hours. The mini-split in the man cave is 120 so I drug a mattress into the garage.

We were one of the very few that didn't lose power for the cold event but was prepared.

Comment

PM sent.

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
                    Common price ie Amazon, Home Depot, etc was $882 plus tax so the figure in the OP is pretty much spot on.

Edited to add - Amazon is still showing it at $882.25 so they haven’t jumped the price up. I’d say it’s a pretty good buy at $700 but that is from limited experience with it.
                    Very nice, thank you.

Comment

I wish they weren’t Chinese. I need a good generator.

Comment

I am on the fence. There is a review on generatorbible that stated this is not an inverter generator and his pellet smoker wouldn't run because of that.

Can anyone elaborate on that, and what other household items might have a problem? Computers?

t y

Comment

When I hear “genny” I think of this guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Y’all go ahead, and I’ll wait until someone lists theirs on here.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                              I wish they weren’t Chinese. I need a good generator.
                              I called and they said Vietnam Taiwan but to me that means Chinese parts

Comment

How you want to work the deal? When are you wanting to drop the hammer?

Comment

Working...
                                X