Build New or Buy Used Bay Boat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build New or Buy Used Bay Boat?

Looking at building a new or buying a used bay boat for upcoming fishing season.

Option one would be to build a new Haynie/Shoalwater/ElPescador but the current build time is around 6-7 months. Pro would be having a new boat built the way I want but wont be ready until right before hunting season is about to start.

Option two would be to find/buy a slightly used boat. Been looking and I've found some slightly used Simmons and OG SCBs for around the same price as building a new lower end boat. Pro would be having a boat ready to go now and it being a Simmons but downfall is risk of buying a used boat and still pretty pricey but most likely worth the money based on quality.

Anyone gone through similar dilemma recently? Which route did you take or would you recommend?

My .02. Let someone else take the "new" hit and buy at a discount. Boats and RVs are generally very seldom used. If you can find a used one that's been kept in storage you can almost buy a brand new 10 yr old sled. Some of us use our boats weekly, but a big majority buy new, use it for a summer, then the cool wears off and it gets put in the water 2-3 times a year after that. If it were me, I'd buy a well kept used boat.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by livinadream View Post
      my .02. Let someone else take the "new" hit and buy at a discount. Boats and rvs are generally very seldom used. If you can find a used one that's been kept in storage you can almost buy a brand new 10 yr old sled. Some of us use our boats weekly, but a big majority buy new, use it for a summer, then the cool wears off and it gets put in the water 2-3 times a year after that. If it were me, i'd buy a well kept used boat.

Sent from my motorola one 5g uw using tapatalk
      100%

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
        My .02. Let someone else take the "new" hit and buy at a discount. Boats and RVs are generally very seldom used. If you can find a used one that's been kept in storage you can almost buy a brand new 10 yr old sled. Some of us use our boats weekly, but a big majority buy new, use it for a summer, then the cool wears off and it gets put in the water 2-3 times a year after that. If it were me, I'd buy a well kept used boat.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
        This.

I've owned at least one boat at a time since I was 14 and for many years went thru them pretty quick. The only 2 I've ever lost money on were the 2 I bought new. Not saying I won't ever buy a new one again but I am saying it's not usually the best move financially.

FWIW I wouldn't call any of the boats you listed to build a "new lower end boat". None of them are finished as sparkly as an scb or es but as far as holding up and hull integrity, I'd put them at least equal to a sparkly one any day.

Comment

neither

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
            neither
            Not everyone's Portfolio looks like yours today

Comment

I am different that the others that have posted as I buy new because I am not sure how others have maintained their boat.

For those used Simmons, most of them are from owners that buy one then get on the list for a new one. Most are maintained very well.

Of the ones you listed if looking for a cat I would go Shoalwater, Haynie, El P

Comment

Id think the used SCB/ESCB market is kinda thin.

And only there due to the reasons JP said

Comment

The used bay boat market will be flooded this year as folks sell out due to last week's fish kill.

There will be a lot of people bass fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
                    The used bay boat market will be flooded this year as folks sell out due to last week's fish kill.

There will be a lot of people bass fishing.
                    I sure wouldn't bet on it.

Comment

I've bought new and bought used. I have made money on a few, broke even on a few and lost money on a few. I'd agree with rvd, if you buy a good quality used boat you stand to lose less money vs buying new. And in some situations will break even or even make a little. You just have to be patient and be smart about what you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                        This.

I've owned at least one boat at a time since I was 14 and for many years went thru them pretty quick. The only 2 I've ever lost money on were the 2 I bought new. Not saying I won't ever buy a new one again but I am saying it's not usually the best move financially.

FWIW I wouldn't call any of the boats you listed to build a "new lower end boat". None of them are finished as sparkly as an scb or es but as far as holding up and hull integrity, I'd put them at least equal to a sparkly one any day.
                        Reading that back, it sounds worse than I meant it. I don't think Shoalwater/Haynie/ElPescador are lower end by any means. I've been on all three and like them all but I just think Simmons and OG SCB is in a different category all together.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          Id think the used SCB/ESCB market is kinda thin.

And only there due to the reasons JP said
                          Very true. Not much out there but really I haven't seen much at all out there when looking at the names I listed. I've actually found quite a few Simmons and OG SCB for sale, anywhere from $70K few year old RC to $90-100K year old Revos. But like stated, most are guys that have a new one on order and are just selling their old one.

Comment

Originally posted by breeds13 View Post
                            Reading that back, it sounds worse than I meant it. I don't think Shoalwater/Haynie/ElPescador are lower end by any means. I've been on all three and like them all but I just think Simmons and OG SCB is in a different category all together.
                            They are definitely nice and finished to a different level than the others you mentioned.

Comment

Used, but you have to be patient. I just bought a 2007 Triton 240lts with only 132 original hours on boat & motor. It's basically a brand new boat, but I paid well less than half what a new one would cost. Now you do have to be extra careful and get stuff checked out by a mechanic as sitting for long periods can be bad for motors as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X