Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What gun/caliber for a <100yd varmint gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17 HMR all day everyday for me.....Love that little round out of a Savage 93R 17 with a bull barrel.

Last edited by Smart; 02-22-2021, 11:23 AM.

Comment

i assume if your shooting at grackles at a 100 your putting some **** good glass on whatever caliber you chose!

Comment

Originally posted by okiepighunter View Post
        i assume if your shooting at grackles at a 100 your putting some **** good glass on whatever caliber you chose!
        As a generalization, I run good glass. Unless it's deliberately a budget build. It helps that I have pretty good pro deals from most manufacturers.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
          I have not seen a mention for the 17 hornet. So there ya go!
          This would be my choice for the application if I didn't already have the 17 fireball...

Comment

Has anyone said .22 Hornet? It's easy to load for and would give you a lot more punch.

LWD

Comment

Out my back door it’s right at 100yrds to the woods. I cover it easy with a Ruger American 22mag with v-max rounds.

Comment

Air Arms S510 PCP Air gun with regulator - same psi per shot (regulated air charge) - German match barrel - two stage trigger

.177 or .22 - either will kill out to 100 yards easily and they are cheap to shoot. Add silencer - nothing will hear it shoot.

Ordered a DannyFL Silencer for this gun

I'm shooting the .177 - which can go supersonic on full power. The gun has various power settings and it shoots 7.4 grains up to 20 grains with pellets and even a bit higher if I worked on a slug load.

Lotta folks are jumping on the PCP air gun game since they are cheap to shoot, you don't burn up rimfire ammo target and or small game hunting, and the beauty of PCP Regulated air guns, you can work up loads and ballistics based on psi charge and pellet style and weight etc. The same game as centerfire precision shooting is found - pushing precision lead pellets and slugs fast with air, down a floated and rifled precision air gun rifle barrel

Using the NOMAD II air compressor for gun air fills. The power supply is self contained in the compressor and it will run on 12 volt (auto connections for field fills), 110 and 220 volts.

Takes about 7 minutes to fill gun

70 - 90 shots before air recharge

You can buy thousands of various pellets for less than 100 bucks

Silent and deadly with extreme accuracy up to 100 yards - if you work up the setup to do so and do your part to shoot groups

The magazine is a 10 shot rotary feed style - removable magazine system

On the right side of the gun is a cocking lever, same location as a standard bolt actioned rifle

Pull the lever back and move it forward to close - rotary magazine turns to the next round, chamber is loaded and the gun is charged
                Trigger the shot, repeat with the lever - over and over
                I have 4 magazines - so small - three can fit in a shirt pocket

The gun is precision made - stock is excellent grade walnut - balanced, super accurate and powerful for an air gun
                Attached Files
                Last edited by AtTheWall; 02-23-2021, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Get a KIDD match grade remake of the 10/22. Add a suppressor and a thermal.

Comment

1) Suppressed .22 LR would be perfect and very quiet. I really like mine.
                    2) Suppressed .17 HMR would be accurate and a little more noise, but I have no personal experience
                    3) Suppressed .223, use mine for just about everything

Comment

Working...
                    X