AR in 300 BO, suppressed for hogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR in 300 BO, suppressed for hogs?

Saw a hunting show... the guy was on a doe control hunt, shot several does with his bow, and several does and a yote with a short barrel semi-auto in 300BO with a suppressor. Very little sound, the shot animal jumping and kicking when shot created the only reaction in the other close game...anyone use something like that?

I have hogs come in pretty often during deer season, sounds like that setup would be the ticket to carry along to the bow blind, to save the corn, and avoid spooking the whole neighborhood.

Pros and cons?

The cost and availability of 300bo is the only thing I can think of...if you have an AK, brown bear makes a pretty good subsonic 7.62x39 that has similar ballistics to subsonic 300bo...costs about 300 bucks for 500...Biden could soon make it illegal to import the ammo tho.

Comment

You’ll have 1/2 dead squealing pigs leaking oil all over the woods.

.300 Subs are **** poor performing rounds, as far as I could tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dale is right. We used to hunt pigs with thermals on 300bo ARs and had more run off than fall over dead. Never really uses subs but I’m sure they would’ve performed way worse yah supers.
        Now in a bow blind set-up, that might work just fine if you wanna head shot one or two within 20-30 yards. For singing lead at running hugs, that rounds has always sucked imo

Comment

I use a 300blk AR with an 8.5” barrel suppressed and 194 gr Lehigh subs with great success. I wouldn’t take it in the bow blind and shoot hogs because they make a bunch of noise when shot if not drt.

I take a suppressed 22LR pistol with me to the bow blind sometimes.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
            Dale is right. We used to hunt pigs with thermals on 300bo ARs and had more run off than fall over dead. Never really uses subs but I’m sure they would’ve performed way worse yah supers.
            Now in a bow blind set-up, that might work just fine if you wanna head shot one or two within 20-30 yards. For singing lead at running hugs, that rounds has always sucked imo
            This is exactly what I was gonna say

Just switched to x39 hoping for better results

Comment

Lehigh Defense has been kicking bullets out lately. I shoot 110 grain controlled chaos in supers and Maker T-Rex in subs. Both work great if you put the bullet where it needs to go. It is not a powerful round but works well for me. It is not a 6.5 Grendel though...

Comment

Head shots at close in bow ranges you'll be fine with subs. I had some decent results with the Hornady 190 Sub-X rounds at 50-60 yards on medium size pigs. The blackout gets a lot of hate for some reason, but I've killed a boatload of pigs with it in the 150 yard and less range and few run very far if the bullet is placed right. I generally stick to the 120 grain SIG HT or the Barnes TX type bullets though. If you want to be really quiet get a break action .300 Blackout or similar round and shoot the subs suppressed.

Comment

I just started reloading the Hornady 190 Sub-X rounds (W/Trail boss powder) for my 308 bolt rifle for a friend and I. I have not had a chance to test it on any animals yet but he has shot some pigs. He has shot a couple in shoulder and said they only ran 40 or 50 yards (medium size) and he is not using a suppressor. The subsonic rounds out of my bolt rifle with suppressor sounds like a pellet gun. I have not got around to loading any 300BO yet but I would think that the slamming of the bolt would make more noise than the shot.

Comment

I've killed pigs with 300 subs out to 100 yards but always head/neck shots. Even at only 100 yards, I was shocked at how much I had to adjust for drop from where I was zeroed with supers. Prefer the super that is not that much louder suppressed and never had a problem with animals not dropping. Shot placement....

Comment

Originally posted by dbelcher269 View Post
                      Head shots at close in bow ranges you'll be fine with subs. I had some decent results with the Hornady 190 Sub-X rounds at 50-60 yards on medium size pigs. The blackout gets a lot of hate for some reason, but I've killed a boatload of pigs with it in the 150 yard and less range and few run very far if the bullet is placed right. I generally stick to the 120 grain SIG HT or the Barnes TX type bullets though. If you want to be really quiet get a break action .300 Blackout or similar round and shoot the subs suppressed.
                      They get a lot of hate because they suck for follow up shots. First shots where you can take your time and pick your placement they work fine. Subsequent shots once the sounder has scattered they aren’t worth a darn. You can be as picky then with shot placement at that point.

I dropped a 60 lb hog at 125 yds with my 17 HMR a few weeks back. I knew I could do it without a problem. Turned him off like a light switch. He was feeding at a feeder though. It wouldn’t have worked had he been running. Obviously this is an extreme example as the 300 is considerably more potent. It just shows that you can use less effective tools when you can be picky about your placement.
                      Last edited by TX03RUBI; 02-23-2021, 08:28 AM.

Comment

If you put a hard cast heavy lead bullet from a 300blk through the shoulders of a pig they will die inside 40 yards.

Comment

I don't prefer it for lethality, and from experience I'd point out that the sound of an AR cycling plus the sound of a bullet hitting an animal is a lot more noise than you'd think.

At the very least do it with a bolt-action.

Comment

Lots of good info, thanks!

Also recently picked up a Walther P22 that is real quiet when suppressed, just need to get a set of taller sights for it.
                            Decisions, decisions...

Comment

I sold my .300 BLK and haven't looked back! And yes I ran it suppressed

And yes I hunt alot of pigs

Comment

Working...
                              X