Culling doesn’t work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Culling doesn’t work

I’d like to have a serious discussion about this.

We don’t cull young deer. 4-5 year olds is about all we shoot. We feed protein. The land isn’t overgrazed. But we have seen a significant change since we have been slamming poor quality mature deer and leaving the bigger deer alone. I also like getting the extra mouths off the feed.

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
    https://youtu.be/s_04UHQAn7g

I’d like to have a serious discussion about this.

We don’t cull young deer. 4-5 year olds is about all we shoot. We feed protein. The land isn’t overgrazed. But we have seen a significant change since we have been slamming poor quality mature deer and leaving the bigger deer alone. I also like getting the extra mouths off the feed.

How long have you been on this lease to notice the difference?

Culling to us is removing mouths. Killing deer 4 and older that don't show favorable traits......just to remove said extra mouths. A crap 3 yo gets removed occasionally but its rare.

If that sucker has good beams, tine length, mass and other favorable traits we pass.
    Last edited by Smart; 10-19-2019, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          How long have you been on this lease?
          3rd year. It’s been managed similarly for more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            How long have you been on this lease to notice the difference?

Culling to us is removing mouths. Killing mature deer 4 and older that don't show favorable traits......just to remove said extra mouths. A crap 3 yo gets removed occasionally but its rare.
            Agreed 100%. I think what they are saying doesn’t work is killing young deer. We for sure do not do that. And I’m genuinely curious on this. But I think there’s a lot of factors to each management plan.

Comment

There's a whole podcast on this. Useless on a low fence place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0BE7C91D-660E-4541-8E47-EB4B7A48F5BA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	24596007
              Last edited by TxAg; 10-19-2019, 04:28 PM.

Comment

I have better success with killing spikes first and foremost. Then killing the obvious 7s, anything smaller than a 10 at 3+, and killing 10s with short G4’s at 4+. My personal opinion is you can’t have 150”+ deer if all you have is a bunch of 8pts running around.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                  There's a whole podcast on this. Useless on a low fence place.
                  Agree, you have to have an enormous ranch for this to work on a low fence place.

Comment

Useless in a low fence subdivision unless the other 100 land owners are like minded

Comment

Originally posted by Tatom View Post
                      I have better success with killing spikes first and foremost. Then killing the obvious 7s, anything smaller than a 10 at 3+, and killing 10s with short G4’s at 4+. My personal opinion is you can’t have 150”+ deer if all you have is a bunch of 8pts running around.
                      OMG, you kill spikes!!!?
                      You must be new round these parts

Comment

You’ll never kill of the 8 point genetic, but you can improve genetics somewhat and thin numbers to where you’re feeding less deer. We’ve been doing it and have seen great improvements on the bigger deer we are killing, we also feed a lot of protein and are on a very large LF ranch with no hunting pressure around us really

Comment

Lol @ spikes first and foremost.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatom View Post

I love an upper 30s to 149” 8 point ...

Comment

I’d take a framey 8 over a basket 10 any and all day. People need to specify what type of 8 points they view as “culls”.

Comment

Working...
                              X