Private Lands Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private Lands Hunt

For the past few years I have applied for the Private Lands Hunts, but I not got drawn. I have anywhere of 5 to 8 preference points built up. Has anyone in this forum got drawn for these types of hunts? If so, I'm guessing they were nice private ranches. Please tell me about your experiences and the type of ranch you were on. Thanks!

I got drawn for a private lands either sex hunt last year. It was pretty nice. A 36K acre ranch that offers some of the draw hunts to help fill there MLD doe tags and a few management bucks. It is basically a meat hunt over a feeder but still a good time. Well worth the $10.

Comment

Cool! Do these places usually offer lodging or did you stay in a hotel. Just curious! I'm looking forward to a meat hunt on a large private ranch. What was the name of your hunt? Travis County, Blanco County, McMullen County?

Comment

I am not sure if they all offer lodging or not. If you get draw you will receive an email including all info related to the hunt including lodging options. The one I did offered lodging. It was nice because for $60 total I got a bunkhouse with 2 beds, living area, kitchen, and bathroom for all 3 days. Was driven out to the stands in the morning with the guide. We got picked up in the afternoon so we could go back in for lunch and the taken back out to the stands in the afternoon. This will vary based off of which hunt location.

Comment

sure, thanks for the info RShockley.

Comment

Something I've been curious about on these hunts... if there is some type of guide for the hunt are you supposed to tip them like a paid hunt? I mean a big part of the reason I'm applying for TPWD hunts is due to the low cost so if you're expected to turn around and tip hundreds of dollars like you would on a paid hunt then it kind of eliminates that option for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
              Something I've been curious about on these hunts... if there is some type of guide for the hunt are you supposed to tip them like a paid hunt? I mean a big part of the reason I'm applying for TPWD hunts is due to the low cost so if you're expected to turn around and tip hundreds of dollars like you would on a paid hunt then it kind of eliminates that option for me.
              That's an excellent question. I submitted an application for a private land hunt...If the norm is leave a nice tip, they're not going to like me much.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                No. I did not leave a tip on mine last year and assuming since I still talk to the landowner of that property on occasion that it was ok to do that. Most of these hunt are on large hunting leases that participate in the MLD program and the "guides" are typically just some of the lease holders. They really aren't there to guide per say as much as they are there just to ensure you shooting the appropriate deer. On the property I went to the owner typically gave the guys willing to volunteer as guides a break on their lease fees though.

Comment

The next private lands drawing is after 9/1. Please let me know if anyone in this thread gets drawn. >----------> deer

Comment

I put in for some of the private lands hunts every year. I've never been drawn for one of those. Hopefully my luck will change on that this year.

Comment

Hopefully so, same here never been drawn for private lands.

Comment

Working...
                      X