No announcement yet.

Lake Dunlap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still ironing out the kinks...but I think I'm on to something.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
      Please enlighten us on the heavy hitters. There is zero reasons to fix the dam outside property values, which is a very crappy reason. It's not a real power, water or flood control lake so no incentive to spends millions and millions for recreation. Highly doubt that dam is every fixed.
      1 billionaire with 2 screaming grand kids can move mountains if he takes a mind to and if that don't work there is always the highly endangered "Lake Dunlap triple headed mud minnow" that MUST be saved..

Oh this dam will be fix and probably in record time too.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
        1 billionaire with 2 screaming grand kids can move mountains if he takes a mind to and if that don't work there is always the highly endangered "Lake Dunlap triple headed mud minnow" that MUST be saved..

Oh this dam will be fix and probably in record time too.
        No doubt if said billionaire is willing to write a check it can get done as fast as engineering and regulations allow. If anyone is counting in govt agencies to make this happen fast good luck.

Comment

Your theory doesn't hold water(pun intended) when you look at Lake Travis. Not sure there is another lake in Texas that has as many million dollar homes. LCRA send water out of that lake constantly to rice farmers. It doesn't matter if it is a season of rain, drought, etc. Very wealthy people yell, scream, etc to no avail. If the LCRA doesn't listen to those owners on keeping that lake above average what makes you think little old Dunlap owners have any pull?
          What LCRA did to the highland lakes just so the rice farmers get the water was **** near criminal.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
            What LCRA did to the highland lakes just so the rice farmers get the water was **** near criminal.
            I completely agree. Not sure Texas is a state you need to be growing rice in to begin with.

Comment

People tend to overthink it and water control is ripe for conspiracy theories but I think Dale's simple explanation is correct. A friend with a place on Granbury told me of a meeting property owners had with the BRA during the worst of the drought. All these folks arrived with their torches and pitchforks to make their demands and fling accusations. He said the BRA guy started the meeting by saying they can gripe all they want but the Authority will never make a water-flow decision based on recreation or property values. He was very dismissive of their concerns. Some seem to think the job of the BRA/COE, etc is to make sure property owners have water under their docks but that is not even on the list of priorities.

Comment

I completely agree. Not sure Texas is a state you need to be growing rice in to begin with.

There were rice farmers before the highland lakes, so they had first rights to the water. The rice farmers were also the biggest supporters for the lake system, as they seen the value of flood control and storage.

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
                  There were rice farmers before the highland lakes, so they had first rights to the water. The rice farmers were also the biggest supporters for the lake system, as they seen the value of flood control and storage.
                  Yeah, not sure why all the hate for the rice farmers.

Comment

What a shame, I am sure it will get rebuilt somehow at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
                      There were rice farmers before the highland lakes, so they had first rights to the water.
                      This. Some people have a hard time with things like facts. And history. And laws.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                        Yeah, not sure why all the hate for the rice farmers.
                        Because he’s a fishing guide on the highland lakes. Pretty soon there will be a duck guide from Matagorda arguing his point. Remember guys the drought did it to all of us.

Comment

Originally posted by droebuck View Post
                          Because he’s a fishing guide on the highland lakes. Pretty soon there will be a duck guide from Matagorda arguing his point. Remember guys the drought did it to all of us.
                          I don't guide for a living so the drought didn't effect me. Who did effect was several lake communities that lost their water to their homes because of the low levels. Business went out of business due to drought. Rice farming only exist because of Government subsidies.

Comment

We have a place along the Brazos River Authority controlled water ways. Years ago when our lake was 9 feet low I drove over the Navasota River and it was rolling pretty good. When I called BRA they said the lake was not built for recreation and they were supplying the allotment of surface water for the rice farms. It's just business I guess.

Comment

I don't guide for a living so the drought didn't effect me. Who did effect was several lake communities that lost their water to their homes because of the low levels. Business went out of business due to drought. Rice farming only exist because of Government subsidies.
                              What a terrible opinion. FYI they finished a pumping station on the Colorado that will pump water to Corpus Christi so you can add them to your hate list as well.

Comment

I hope you don’t ever have to farm rice for a living.

Comment

Working...
                                X