Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would go with the 180 gr partition.

Comment

I am a huge barnes fan They just work , My only complaint is that I have some guns that where not as accurate with it as it was with other brands.. With that said see how they group and if they group well enough for your range I would use them over any thing else ..

I have shot moose and Elk with them and even at long ranges it did the job . My longest on large game 735 on a maine Moose . from my 300 RUM . It step forward and went down . Elk I did recover one bullet as I pulled the shot and he was just over 600 on a hill side . I mess up and the Elk was angling more than I thought bullet went in in front of shoulder smashing its way through caught in hide opposite side. Picture perfect 97% weight retention .

I have shot others as well but always like the fact that the barnes opens up and does great job .

Good luck on your choice

Comment

I tried the Barnes solid copper bullet and the Nosler partitions were far more accurate. I guess it depends on what your rifle likes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

One thing we have noticed about the barnes is they won't shoot their best if shooting over fouling left by other bullets. They just don't like copper from traditional jackets. Start with a really clean barrel and give it a couple foulers before you judge how they are going to shoot.

Comment

Partitions or Barnes TTSX

Comment

#3 of yours.
              I use the ttsx myself.

Comment

Any

Comment

I've only shot 1 elk and it was a cow, but 160 gr Nosler accubonds from my 7 mag did the trick. She went maybe 20 yards after the shot. Not too much meat damage with a shoulder shot at a little over 300 yards. Barnes, E-tip, GMX bullets are great for smaller calibers killing big critters under 300-350 yards, but if you think the shot could be further....I'd go with something else. Expansion on those type of bullets need velocity. AT 500 yards the velocity of a 180 gr Barnes TTSX is approx 2000 fps. From my experience, they expand better with a velocity above 2400 fps. Even though Barnes says they will expand down to 1800 fps or so. My 300 win mag is sighted in with 180 gr Nosler Accubonds and if I really thought my shot opportunity would be at longer ranges....I'd use the 200 gr ELD-x. Maybe I'm just a little prejudice against mono-metal bullets, but from what I've experienced, they need high velocity or to hit bone, to perform well.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                    This is exactly where I'd be looking. We have tested in a bunch of rifles, and seen it used on a lot of critters with great results. It flat out works and is also seems to shoot well consistently out of more rifles than any other factory 300 load we test with.

Funny story about how we stumbled on to the Barnes factory 300WM stuff. We took a hunting weight 300WM to a gunwriter press/demo day a few years ago. The only ammo we had on the shelf for it was a case of barnes 180 TTSX. I didn't worry too much since I figured those guys would be shooting at normal distances, and none would want to spend much time with a light weight 300WM anyway. I honestly didn't think anyone would actually shoot it given all of the other "fun" rifles that were there at their disposal for the day. Those guys ended up fighting over that thing until the ammo ran out. They were consistently banging steel at 1,140 yards with it! Haha

Comment

Working...
                    X