White Bass!!! Its getting time!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Treeshark View Post
    Wash the fillets in a bucket with a water hose. Spray the water hard in the bucket to make it swirl like a vortex until the water turns cloudy. Pour out water and repeat until water doesn’t turn cloudy. They taste great!!!
    I do the same thing for catfish too. Whitest meat you’ll find. But for whites I also let em soak in salt water in the sink for a few hrs. Takes care of the blood/fishy taste.

Comment

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
      I do the same thing for catfish too. Whitest meat you’ll find. But for whites I also let em soak in salt water in the sink for a few hrs. Takes care of the blood/fishy taste.
      Yep. And also try rubbing with mustard then shake in Louisiana seasoned crispy fish fry!!!

Comment

In the process of relocating, been on Chambers lake for the last few years and had a good go at them on the lake through the hot months, but early spring (when the red bud trees just start to bloom) has been good on the side creeks leading into the lake.
        Anyone make a creek or lake suggestion near Crockett? Hoping to get to catch some on the fly rod this year.

Comment

Originally posted by droebuck View Post
          Trim the blood line out and they are just as good as any other freshwater fish.

This...Cut it out and they are good. They ain't no crappie, but they are pretty dang good fried with the line cut out.

Comment

Man I haven’t gotten to go sand bass fishing in a couple years. If anybody in north dfw wants to hit some spots, let me know

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
              Man I haven’t gotten to go sand bass fishing in a couple years. If anybody in north dfw wants to hit some spots, let me know
              I’ll take you up on that. Buddy of mine said a guy on Denton creek was catching them before this beautiful weather rolled in. I’ll PM you when I go.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                Do y’all eat those , I tried them once, kinda muddy, fishy tasting
                Best tasting fish of all!

Comment

Didn’t G5 and his wife catch these all the time? I’m going to double check the name. I sure do miss them on here. They seemed like fine folks, like a lot of others on here.

GR5, and among other things he left a killer peach preserves recipe on here

Good luck to y’all fishing.
                  Last edited by 18ncs; 02-09-2019, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toaster View Post
                    Easy there killer. Sandies are no doubt good enough and darn fine groceries but ain’t in the top 3 best tasting fish IMO. They ain’t got nothing on crappie and catfish...or even trout and bluegills for that matter. And that’s just freshwater species. Don’t get me started on saltwater grub

Again, fine dining can be had with the whites. Ain’t got nothing against them.
                    Last edited by RascalArms; 02-09-2019, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toaster View Post
                      Let’s not get all crazy now

Comment

I love catching them and eating them. Take two large bottles of Louisiana hot sauce not Tabasco. add an egg to the hot sauce mix well. Place the fillets in the sauce and refrigerate. the longer the better I soak em overnight. Then take 1 part flour to 2 parts cornmeal add salt and pepper to taste. Dredge the fillets in the cornmeal mixture and fry em up. No fishy taste.

Comment

I am a crappie snob when it comes to eating fish. If you rinse them vigorously in a bucket w fresh water until the water runs clear, it's very hard to tell the difference between white bass and crappie. IMO

Comment

I've never chased the whites. I've heard it's fun, but never tried it.

Comment

They're fun! If you're rigged right, and catch them schooling, you can catch 'em two at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                                We're catching some. Some plum full of eggs too. Not full bore yet but should be crazy in the next week or so.
                                ... Pm me, cause honestly I call bs that you have checked more spots then the me and the guys I talk to... And none of them have found any yet, not even males

Now if your talking in the bigger parts of the Rivers from the boat, sure, but run is NOT going yet here

Comment

Working...
                                X