Bear in South Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bear in South Texas

Someone showed me an article in the Jan/Feb issue of Texas Parks and Wildlife that displayed a picture of a black bear on a ranch in Zapata/Jim Hogg counties.

https://tpwmagazine.com/archive/2019...ut9_wildthing/

Bears have been back in Texas for around 20 years now. They first moving into Big Bend, they have since spread out all over Brewster County and into Val Verde County. I have seen a video of a bear getting out of the water and running up the bank at Lake Amistad. I have heard of them coming across the boarder farther south in more recent years. Then they have also been coming into east Texas from Louisiana and Arkansas. Give it another 20 to 30 years and most of the state will have a healthy black bear population.
    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 02-09-2019, 09:39 PM.

Comment

There was a sighting by the falcon **** a few years ago if I’m not mistaken.

Comment

Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
          Bears have been back in Texas for around 20 years now. They first moving into Big Bend, they have since spread out all over Brewster County and into Val Verde County. I have seen a video of a bear getting out of the water and running up the bank at Lake Amistad. I have heard of them coming across the boarder farther south in more recent years. Then they have also been coming into east Texas from Louisiana and Arkansas. Give it another 20 to 30 years and most of the state will have a healthy black bear population.
          I think healthy population may be a stretch, but I do think numbers will go up

Comment

Build the Wall

Comment

Black bears have also been spotted in the NW Texas panhandle, presumably migrating out of NM during drought periods.

Comment

We have one north of Dryden killing feeders

Comment

They've been around since the early 80's I know, rancher killed one that had killed some calves and got in some pretty deep do do even with the bear being shot within sight of the carcass'.

Comment

There was one spotted near where I hunted west of Uvalde about 15 years ago. We were told not to shoot it under any circumstance.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
                      There was one spotted near where I hunted west of Uvalde about 15 years ago. We were told not to shoot it under any circumstance.
                      The state of Texas tells us all the same thing lol

Comment

Got a few around Sanderson.

When I was a kid they were in Hardin County

Comment

Mary had a famous bear encounter several years back in southwest Texas

Comment

I remember one in or around Edinburg about 50 years ago. It was just a lone critter coming across from Mexico.

Comment

I'll call my fed GW compadre & ask him about this fairly recent encounter on the border that happened around what I think was around falcon lake area. Bear was said to be re-located towards webb co territory??

Comment

Working...
                              X