X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
    Try brown bear in a thick alder patch on the peninsula or on Kodiak
    that 270 would feel mighty tiny
    Alone, in a blueberry patch, 20 yards eyeball to eyeball with a grizzly, my .300 Win Mag felt puny.

Comment

6.5x284 is still my choice for all around gun but since you already have a 6.5 I would say compete with your creed and shoot small game. If going for larger animals I would go 300 win mag shooting 200+ grain bullets.

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
        Try brown bear in a thick alder patch on the peninsula or on Kodiak
        that 270 would feel mighty tiny
        I'll shoot him with it if that's what I have.. but hell I've killed many critters with a 22 that people say you cant kill .

Comment

280 or a 300 WM

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
            I think range limits you more than caliber. 300 yards and under I'll shoot and kill anything in north America with my 270. Over 300 I'll take the 300 win mag. It's all about bullet placement shoot em in the ear hole and they wont take a step...
            This comment always makes me chuckle. I’ve seen a lot of guys posts about accuracy here. And I’d be willing to wager 90%+ shouldn’t attempt a head shot. Not saying you’re one of them.

If your justification on a small caliber is a head shot kills them then you’re just asking for trouble.

There’s no perfect caliber. Everyone has their favorites. I shoot a 7 mag and a 300 win mag. Both are pretty capable of near anything in North America. I’m not taking either after moose or brown bear. Brown bear or grizzly will kill you. I want a show stopper. Heavy hitter.

I say it since nobody else has.

6.5 creedmoor in a savage axis. With a vortex crossfire.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              This comment always makes me chuckle. I’ve seen a lot of guys posts about accuracy here. And I’d be willing to wager 90%+ shouldn’t attempt a head shot. Not saying you’re one of them.

If your justification on a small caliber is a head shot kills them then you’re just asking for trouble.

There’s no perfect caliber. Everyone has their favorites. I shoot a 7 mag and a 300 win mag. Both are pretty capable of near anything in North America. I’m not taking either after moose or brown bear. Brown bear or grizzly will kill you. I want a show stopper. Heavy hitter.

I say it since nobody else has.

6.5 creedmoor in a savage axis. With a vortex crossfire.

Your splitting hairs as far as caliber goes when talking 270 and 7 mag.. cartridge capacity is a different story.. I have no justification for a smaller caliber but a lot of people think you need a 300 win mag to kill a prairie dog.. and my comment on shooting them in the ear had more to do with if you had to kill something theres always a way..

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                Your splitting hairs as far as caliber goes when talking 270 and 7 mag.. cartridge capacity is a different story.. I have no justification for a smaller caliber but a lot of people think you need a 300 win mag to kill a prairie dog.. and my comment on shooting them in the ear had more to do with if you had to kill something theres always a way..
                Yeah 270 and 7 mag are close.

And Oprah is white!!

Comment

I would pick 7RM 1st
                  270 Win 9 twist 2nd

Comment

We don’t have anything in NA I wouldn’t be comfortable shooting with my 6.5
                    True that.

But my favorite belted case long range caliber is the .300 Win Mag.

Comment

You forgot to add under 5 lbs.

Comment

6.5-06 Ackley Im.

Comment

7 Rem Mag

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                            Zero agreement. Ask Cajun Blake..........

Me I like the 6.5X55 Swed for it's bc numbers in normal hunting situations. I do not shoot past 500 yards, and that is paper.......

That's why I bought one!

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
                              6.5 PRC would be my vote because I have one and it’s a shooter! I would shoot an elk or moose with it at reasonable ranges. If I had to truly pick one as an all arounder besides what I have already it would be a 280AI.

Ordered me one of those bad boys today!

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                                Alone, in a blueberry patch, 20 yards eyeball to eyeball with a grizzly, my .300 Win Mag felt puny.
                                Lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X