No announcement yet.

Quitting the smokeless habit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I chewed, dipped, and used snuff and often at the same time. Kid asked me to quit. Didn’t. Kid started to dip. I asked him to stop and we made a deal to stop. Make your mind up and quit. I was on my 35th year of smokeless tobacco. You will have the urge. It is not enjoyable. You will be offered by your friends on trips. Just have something you say to yourself when you feel yourself breaking the

Comment

4 weeks free myself...good luck, all mental....

Comment

REALLY making up your mind that you want to quit is the key...Good luck! I quit Skoal wintergreen 4 years ago after dipping for 25 years. You can do it! The 1st 2 weeks is tough, but it gets easier after that!!

Comment

I quit 3 months ago after 43 years. I cheated and was hypnotized and it worked

Comment

I quit cope after 26 years. Also started when I was 12 years old. One of the hardest things I've ever done. It took my youngest son asking me one day "Dad, if I put that stuff in my lip, will I be big like you?" That was the day I decided I would take control back. That was 11 years ago.

Keep the right mindset. You got this!
            Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

I quit in july of 2011 after dipping copenhagen for 30+ years. I used the nicotine patches for the first month so I could concentrate on getting over the oral addiction. after 1 month I stopped the patches. I didn't want to pick up the habit of toothpicks or gum or candy in place of the snuff. Quitting was probably one of the hardest things I have ever done. It was probably 2 years before I thought about a dip every day.

Comment

started when I was just a kid, probably 10-11 years old. My dad and brother both dipped, so I did too. Pretty much all my buddies in high school did as well. I was a can and a half to 2 cans a day guy. Took my last dip July 21st 2014 at about 5:00 PM at the age of 44. I was mowing the yard and emptied a can. When I got done mowing I spit it out and for some reason, I decided to quit. I hadn't really even thought about quitting before that. Haven't bought a can, or bummed a dip since. I still get the urge from time to time, especially when I smell it when buddies get one, but for the most part I haven't missed it after the first few months. Its crazy when I go back and figure how much money I have saved over the last 4 years. Figure 1 1/2 cans a day is $7, and that comes out to a little over $2500 a year!

Good luck to you on quitting. It can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by ctburt0n View Post
                  I have a lot of smoky mountain, gum & candy. I’ll make it. God willing.
                  going on 90 days with out the Cope and it took all of the above and gaining 15lbs but I haven't had one since. In the last 2 weeks I have significantly dropped my smokey mountain usage also.

You can do it if I did!

Comment

I kicked the 35 year Copenhagen habit on 7/4/13
                    Cold turkey
                    Prayed every day for strength
                    First 3 days were the hardest
                    You can do it!
                    Do not give in!
                    Every day gets easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
                      Once your mind is aligned it is done. January 10th is 3 years for me after 20. It can be done
                      This is the truth. Just keep trying. I'm about 2.5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by mkk View Post
                        I kicked the 35 year Copenhagen habit on 7/4/13
                        Cold turkey
                        Prayed every day for strength
                        First 3 days were the hardest
                        You can do it!
                        Do not give in!
                        Every day gets easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I won’t. I’m committed this time.

Comment

I quit Levi Garrett 14 years ago after 36 years of use. I was up to 2 pouches a day.

I burned through sunflower seeds til my mouth was raw, but I made it stick.

Comment

Originally posted by bownut View Post
                            I literally just took my dip out after reading all the post. I've been dipping for over 35 yrs. I'm going try and quit. My first stop Tomorrow was supposed to go buy me another roll. instead I'll get a couple cans of smoaky mountain. Wish me luck as well. Thanks for the post.
                            It will be hard for both of us. I’ll send up a prayers for you.

Comment

I am 54, quit 854 days ago after 40+ years of Copenhagen. 1 day, 1 hour, 1 minute at a time. Hang in there.
                              Mike

Comment

I don't think I could of done without being hypnotized tried many times .

Comment

Working...
                                X