Menard 2020-2021 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stonecold69 View Post
    We have a high line crew on our lease, replacing the wooden poles with the metal ones and restringing the wires, supposed to be there till the 23rd. Will have to work around them when I head down next week.
    Any idea how far north of the Kimble county line you are? I do not think that they are going to get down to me until after the first of the year.

Tim

Comment

I was out yesterday from noon until about 2:30 looking for some heifers that escaped from a trap into about 2,000 acres where I did not want them for fear of getting bred to a brahman bull. I jumped a fat doe and she ran across right in front of my pickup. I was thinking as fat as she was, she should be cycling and about that time, a mature 8 point came boiling out of the thicket in an attempt to catch up. His neck was really swollen but he was running so hard that I did not get a good look as his hocks.
      One of the hunters on the ranch said that he say a mature 8 whoop a younger 9 point, the battle lasted almost a minute. Things are heating up in Menard County...
      Adios,
      Gary

Comment

Originally posted by droebuck View Post
        The peak of rut when the mature bucks are chasing does has been the week of Thanksgiving in my experience. I take off and we hunt that whole week every year.

Listen to Donny he’s a big buck killer!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
          I was out yesterday from noon until about 2:30 looking for some heifers that escaped from a trap into about 2,000 acres where I did not want them for fear of getting bred to a brahman bull. I jumped a fat doe and she ran across right in front of my pickup. I was thinking as fat as she was, she should be cycling and about that time, a mature 8 point came boiling out of the thicket in an attempt to catch up. His neck was really swollen but he was running so hard that I did not get a good look as his hocks.
          One of the hunters on the ranch said that he say a mature 8 whoop a younger 9 point, the battle lasted almost a minute. Things are heating up in Menard County...
          Adios,
          Gary
          Good signs, thanks for the report Gary.

Comment

We had several guys reporting rut activity this weekend, but in most cases, they were being dogged by younger bucks. We have seen a few mature bucks making their rounds and checking scrapes. To me, it looks like we are on target for the normal Thanksgiving weekend peak. I am just hoping we get some weather to go with it.

Comment

Fm2873

I got a report that the guy next to our property hasn't seen anything this weekend.

Comment

Now is the perfect time to pick up the rattling horns. If you wait until all the mature bucks are with does, rattling success greatly decreases as I have only rattled one mature buck from a hot doe in all my years of rattling. Right now is the best time to rattle up an old buck as he has a ton of vigor and is looking for love.
                Adios,
                Gary

Comment

Headed up this coming weekend with my son.
                  I hope to put him on a nice buck. Hopefully the deer and weather will cooperate.

Comment

Sure wish a real cold front would head this way!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                      Now is the perfect time to pick up the rattling horns. If you wait until all the mature bucks are with does, rattling success greatly decreases as I have only rattled one mature buck from a hot doe in all my years of rattling. Right now is the best time to rattle up an old buck as he has a ton of vigor and is looking for love.
                      Adios,
                      Gary

I want to give it a go, but won’t be out until this weekend. Hopefully they will respond.

Comment

We were seeing the start of some rutting activity with the younger bucks. Not full rut. This weekend and the next will be just about right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Was 31 here yesterday morning and 33 this morning but getting up in the 70's in the afternoon. While leaves are falling, improving visibility, I still have not had a frost on top of the hill where I live. There has been frost along the river and most low lying areas.
                          Acorns are gone for the most part.
                          Adios,
                          Gary

Comment

38 this morning but looks like it will warm up from now until Monday. Hopefully, we will get some moisture to break this drought and settle the dust. Two little bucks had a doe up in my yard this morning. Getting in my yard is somewhat of an obstacle for a deer as there is a rock wall around my house so deer have to come up steps, through archways or jump the fence.
                            Adios,
                            Gary

Comment

Menard 2020-2021 Season

I’m hoping I’m hitting it right next Saturday-Wednesday at the lease. I’m looking forward to it. Looks like rain in the forecast.

Comment

I pray that you are correct on the rain. Dust is terrible and all vegetation is crispy. I am going to the Pecos this weekend, bucks should not be rutting but I have not been all year and want to see what's going on.
                                Good luck to all.
                                Adios,
                                Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X