Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	24563211

This would look good on an old Hotrod

Comment

31 coupe with 400 BB mopar and 72 Z28 with matching numbers 350
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
        I have better parts than that, not going to step down. I have been racing cars for a long time. For many years, I spent a lot of time researching air flow, cam designs, on and on and on. I made quite a bit more power than most anyone else would with the combos I built. My thing has been or way and still is to some degree, high revving small blocks, that make a lot of hp. My coupe has always been NA, I would love to keep it NA, but times have changed most of the good class racing that used to exist is gone. Now we have this stupid no prep crap, street racing wanna be crap. I have been working on many other people's cars for years, put together many blower and turbo combos for other people. They make power very easily. Of power adder cars, I love turbo cars, with T4 based turbos typically. I love the combos that will make boost very easily at lower rpms. Those are blast to drive on the street. I have built multiple cars with 80 and 88 mm turbos, they make hp, but don't spool near as easily, not with a small block. I can easily put a combo together with a 7675, that will put down 700 to 800 whp without any issues, have great driveabilty and a blast to drive. Yea, I could turn the boost up and make around 1000 whp with a good Precision 7675, that power level is hard to use on the street when it comes on. 700 whp can be very hard to hook up on the street, but with the right parts it can be done and be a blast. That's basically what I would like for a street toy.
        I am going to leave the Doug Nash in the coupe, that is my fun toy, I love racing manual transmission cars, banging gears. I have learned a lot about making cars work very well and making hp, since my car last ran. I built my car to go out and kick LS ***. All the talk about how great LS engines are, I made it a point to build something I knew would win against LS powered cars and it was fast, I beat a lot of cars with it and bikes. I shocked a lot of guys on bikes, full exhaust so it's much quieter than typical track only car. I used to drive it a lot on the street. I beat many guys on bikes, that were stunned that I beat them on the bottom end, then kept pulling away on the top end. That was when the car had a long list of problems. I could put it back together with the parts I have and make it into a low 9 second car NA. I would love driving the car, but the only problem is, there are no classes I could race it in now, not in Texas or the southern part of the country. You have to go to the mid west and north east, to the NMCA and NMRA races, to actually find good class racing. I could do pretty good there. But it would cost a small fortune to race up there regularly. I know multiple guys who used to do it, they have a lot more money than me, they all gave it up because of what it costs to race in those series.
        So racing locally, if I added boost, I could make my car very competitive against the boosted or nitrous cars, in classes that I really don't care to run in, but that's all that's left, drag racing seems to be dying fairly quickly.

If I bought a pair of Edelbrock 7721 heads ported them, got a intake to match, ported it, put a lighter weight crank in my engine, lighter weight I beam rods and some newer lighter, higher compression pistons, then a different cam. I could put my car in the 8s NA. That would be a blast, banging gears, turning 9000 + rpm and kicking some high hp boosted car butt. Or I could just change the cam and pistons out in my engine, then add the Novi blower that I paid $500 for and run just as fast. I would prefer to stick to a NA combo, that's always been my thing, was always my plan for the coupe, was to always stay NA. I used to have a 86 coupe many years ago, I won a lot of races with that car, a lot of those races were against cars, that I should of had no chance against. Many cars with blowers or nitrous. I had a mostly stock 86 H.O. engine in the car, just ported the heads and intake made my own headers, exhaust ect. My blue coupe, was to be my second serious butt kicking NA 85/86 coupe and it has done so, but not to the degree that the 86 coupe did. I fought a lot of traction problems with the blue coupe. I think I can get the blue coupe to 60' very hard now, with what I know now. As for the LS engine idea, I have a RDI aluminum block, that is good for a lot of hp, new they are over $4000. I got it for $1700 many years ago. The crank is a older Eagle forged 4340 3.4 stroke crank, Eagle H beams and what were some expensive JE ultra light weight pistons at the time I had them built. Now days they would be common weight pistons. I can get a lot lighter pistons now days, from JE or other companies. The TFS TW heads I have, started off as 170cc heads but are quite a bit larger now and flow a lot more. They really don't go with the short block mainly the block I have. I got a good deal on the block, so I built a short block and put my same heads and intake on that block. That block weighs about the same as a common 5.0 roller block, which is what I used to run, but it's a lot stronger. If I would have stepped up to a R block or a Dart block, I would have added probably 50 to 70 lbs. to the front of the car, with the RDI block, it's very close to the same weight. So putting a LS engine in my car would be stepping down a few notches. They have cheap rods, cranks and pistons. The heads are pretty good, basically copied Ford small block Windsor design heads. The blocks are similar to an old Ford FE block or a Ford mod motor block. But then GM used a oiling system identical to a Ford Cleveland oiling system, which is a bad design. Those engines are not perfect by any means, but much better than the old SBCs, they replaced. I don't and won't do a engine swap of any kind, it's stupid if you ask me.

I would still prefer to leave it NA and go as fast as possible, with some of the pieces I have. Then build another car to put my other good block into and possibly put twin 7675s on, then make some big numbers. Along with the RDI block, I have a Ford Racing R block, it will handle a lot of hp, it was in a 7 second car years ago. Something like that, I could run in numerous different races and do very well. But it's not really my thing, but that's what exists today. I wish someone would bring back good class racing, but I don't think it will happen. Attendance at drag strips is very low, hard to fill stands, a lot of tracks have closed. So promoters are going to the one class run what you brung, no prep, keep the guys putting on the race, cost's as low as possible. That crap is killing racing, nobody is going to the track anymore, sitting at home on their phones watching no prep street racing, with a bunch of cars that can't hook for crap.

I know what you are saying . Its just silly how fast the LS cars have become In the no prep deal my buddy is very fast in LS mustang he did try the ford route but in the end for a drag car.

I run the no prep and I do win many times not because I have any where near what they got .. They shake the tires and its over . My turb just keeps on plugging HA HA

The LS route is just low dollar you cannot deny that fact 1000 + Hp on a ebay turbo sounds silly but its the reality of the situation .

I left a car show a few weeks back and on the way home got a NEW dart want to have a go . I had some real issues getting it to hook had to pedal it twice and its not bad if the second kit is on but I wan hitting the 1st kit and its all in when it triggers the micro so it got a bit out of shape twice but I got it under control and was able to pull him on the big end .

Track days are getting less and less for sure i go out on TT days and will only work on the leave .. Hot as heck but I can work on my 60 foot times . 1.59 is best to date on 60 foot .

Struggled with trans issues? converter set up for over a year . Got that sorted but have had no time to go back to see what it will do now that I can flash it to 4300 ish HA HA its always a give and take

I leave on the cushion most times around 3800 and the GAS do the rest . The little dart motor runs well on the bottle decent off .. My biggest thing was the 1/8 I came from the 1/4 and do love the big end

I love the row your own guys I had a TKO in this but in the city driving it was a PIA .

There was a No prep race two years ago I should have went to .. It had a light coating of snow on the track YES they raced I should have entered my cummins and stuck it in 4 wheel HA HA . To see the cars sliding around was just funny . A few of my buddys where sending me video .

For pure drag racing I see the mustang as a great chassis and for me a cheap LS with ebay turbo gets me having some fun and going fast for less money . The gen IV motors are very tough .. Tougher than you would think .

Local guy Fox with LS 4.8 is running on E85 banging 28 psi for two seasons now on cast pistons Is it the fastest car out there no its not but it will holds its own .

My 23 * is old tech and really you get very limited on the heads 18* would be the deal but money I have invested in this is already enough as you know 2500 dollar block then machine it . Gets pricey fast for sure but that holds true with all brands .

I have a decent video some where of the Brick yanking the tires ( not much a few inches ) but for a brick it does ok ..

On the class of car I get that as well went last year and ended up in a bracket class for super street . I am not a bracket guy so I get my arse handed to me ..

Got beat by a 440 road runner that is owned but a 78 year old man that can cut a light like a razor , he is deadly on the tree and can click the ET +/- 2 1 hundredths and he has NO Electronics Foot brake and go . Gret guy to talk to as well

The racing community is shifting for sure Not sure I like the direction myself . They are trying to fill the stands but its well out of my reach any longer .

The truck was built to drive any where any time , and still be safe the tru street guys with race fuel no wipers lexan Aluminum panels inside funny car cage , sure they get driven for the races but I cannot call that a street car myself .

Tail gate class same thing you ford guys and the wagons are very fast for sure . They clump me into that and I just smile as I know I am beat before I start .

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Not really a hot rod but fun to drive.

1966 Barracuda Formula S with a Commando 273 4bbl and 4 speed.
            Attached Files

Comment

70' torino

Torino
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Kemo Sabe; 12-06-2018, 06:02 PM. Reason: Pic

Comment

Mine at Keels & Wheels

Attached Files

Comment

Comment

So since I see a bunch of guys that built their car . Myself do not feel or think that a showroom Mustang or SC Z28 is a hot rod . What says the green screen

Comment

You are correct sir

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                      So since I see a bunch of guys that built their car . Myself do not feel or think that a showroom Mustang or SC Z28 is a hot rod . What says the green screen
                      You are correct sir.
                      Classics!
                      25 years or older? Antiques license plate candidates?
                      Are these Hot Rods that TBH member own now?
                      Or are they a Hot Rod they owned in the past?

Comment

1953 farmall H from under a 1 row cotton picker. 23 horse stock
                        Bored and stroked, oversized valves, roller cam. Holley jet conversion. Gets 105 on the dyno on a cold dry day. Fun little toy to haul around to the antique tractor pulls
                        Attached Files

Comment

Like the tractor ^^! I currently own my 70' Torino actually 2, one automatic and 1 4 speed. Had a 70' Mercury Cyclone Spoiler as well but sold it to my brother. This blue one is getting some upgrades and work done on it currently and hope ot have it done by May. Love my old Torino's, had the 4 speed car since Dec. of 78' but it needs complete resto. and will start in Feb.

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                            You will not find a showroom SC Z28...they are by their tradition naturally aspirated.

Thought I was pretty clear in my post that my ZL1 was a high performance sports car & it's made to turn, but most mod & race them in the 1/4 mile turning them into rods for the most part. Getting to the strip is a lot easier than the road course. Still, there is something to be said for any stock car that is hitting high 10's in stock form.

I don't think the car necessarily needs to be older, but more specifically used & drove at the drag strip to be a rod. Showroom?? The Camaro COPO comes to mind.

Learn about Chevrolet Performance's COPO special order system and how it makes top of the line drag race cars. The COPO Camaro is faster than ever.

Comment

to each his own......

Comment

This ones gonna hurt some feelings... not your grandma’s 4 door

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X