Fiberglass tank blind build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fiberglass tank blind build

Finally getting around to putting my fiberglass tank blind together. First I cut some off the height. I want it elevated and was worried that it would stick out like a sore thumb as tall as it was. I still have plenty of room to stand inside.

For the floor I took 2 pieces of 3/4" ply wood and spliced them together, then payed the tank on top to trace the inside of it. Then cut the plywood and then added the framing. I wanted a trap door, in order to not have to deal with sealing a door up.

Keili picked up 3 -12" x 30" & 2- 14" x 12" deer view windows on Thursday. Today I cut the windows in. I'm kind of guessing on the height. The blind will be 5' in the air so I think they will work out great. I used a masonry cut off wheel on a grinder to do the cutting. Cuts it like butter. Although dusty as heck.

I only put one of the smaller windows in the back kind of on the right side. Last year I sat and listened to deer have a grand ol time (running back and forth when the cool fronts hit) so I wanted to be able to see behind me. I had planed on 2 but decided to wait to set it up to see if I actually need the second one. I'll have a black curtain over it most of the time. I'll take the windows out for transport. So I'll take detailed pictures of the mounting and sealing when I get it to the ranch

I have carpet for the floor and walls but I'm hoping the floor guys at one of our jobs have some of the black they are using left over. He said they should so I'm holding out. Plus I need to figure out what adhesive to use. Any suggestions? Also any suggestions on a epoxy to attach wood shelves to the inside? I could use washer headed screws from the outside but really want to avoid any penetrations if I can.

That's awesome

Comment

Very cool

Comment

Very nice! I love home made blinds!!

Comment

Nice work Brian!

Comment

i love these. great work

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Jealous!!

Deathdome!

Comment

Thanks everyone, I think Trey just named her!!

Comment

Got a coat of primer on her today after work.

Also put what carpet I had on the walls. Thought there was more on that roll than there was. Hopefully it's sticking. I used some 3M spray adhesive. We came in to eat. I'll check it in a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well the 3m spray adhesive isn't holding. Back to the drawing board. Any suggestions?

Comment

Carpet pad glue maybe

Comment

Tried some indoor/outdoor carpet glue from homedepot. It looks to be working pretty good. In hindsight I think it would better to use smaller 4'-5' long pieces instead of trying to go long. I did have some expert help! My 2yo grandson.

But I also came up with another idea. I had cut some shelves out of the drops from the floor. It was already cut to the radius so worked great. I had planned to cut the carpet and liquid nail them to the fiberglass. But I realized I could screw a 2"x4" to the wall, putting the screws into the humps on the outside. Those humps are hollow, that way I'm not penetrating the exterior wall. The. I was able to screw the shelf legs to the 2x. After we had all but one of the 2x's cut I came up with the idea of making one go up all the way. I'll put a bow hanger on this one. I wish I would have made all of the 2x's go to the top. That would have secured the carpet for sure. If it comes off I can add them in the future. The carpet guys at one of our jobs gave us all the left overs they had. I wasn't really happy with the darker blue so I went a little crazy with a can of black spray paint.

Like I said before, I don't want to travel with the windows installed so I haven't completed them. But here is my plan. I didn't frame out around them. Just cut the recommended opening, then cut back the humps a little more. With the 12" windows I only have 5/8 caulk joint on each side. Our caulk manufacturer will warranty up to 3/4" so it shouldn't be a problem. I'll also us the screws that go through the windows to secure a 1x to the top and bottom of the inside of the window. That way I'll be able to attach some curtain hangers. Here are some pictures of the windows in the holes.

Going to let the carpet glue dry over night and tomorrow. Then we will lay it over on the trailer and attach the elevator brackets and cut the legs. May try to go set it up next weekend.

Comment

Forgot to add, a 4" PVC plug works great in the holes on the tank.

Comment

Looks great!!

Comment

Working...
                              X