Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is mRNA and why should we trust it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
    Fantastic info. Thanks for this
    No worries.

Comment

Originally posted by Pope View Post
      mRNA vaccines are so much better than the classic versions of growing viruses and inactivating the virus. Before you’d grow viruses in a medium like eggs and then treat the viruses with a compound to inactive them. This took forever.
      Now, you create a strand of mRNA, surround it with a lipid and inject it into the organism you want to inoculate. No virus needed for this. Our cells pick up the mRNA and produce a protein to trick our immune system to think a virus is present. Same immune response minus the virus and it takes 10% of the effort to produce it. The problem is mRNA is fragile and breaks down easily. Hence, the need to keep it so cold. Thankfully, our country has the types of freezers to keep it cold and at -80 Celsius. You can store it for a long time, but need to use it relatively soon after it is thawed.
      mRNA is in all living organisms. Eat a tomato today? There is mRNA in the tomato. Eat a rare steak? mRNA. Of course you digest it, but you eat mRNA everyday.
      The Central Dogma of Genetics is DNA->RNA->Protein, not Protein->RNA->DNA. There is zero chance you are genetically altered by this vaccine. Zero. Anyone saying otherwise is BSing you.
      I am biologist who has extracted DNA and RNA more times than I can remember. This is not a difficult and technical process. With newer techniques to do this at scale is the game changer. Hats off to these scientists to do this. It’ll be used again in the future and if and when we get a serious pandemic that has a mortality rate that is really serious, we have learned a lot through this.
      Bullseye!

Comment

Because Fauci said so! Just do as your told and put your second mask on!

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
          uhhh... is it less bad than 10% of old people dying of it.

I think thats a pretty definitive yes.

Blows my mind that the same people that don't trust the government are using the argument that it isnt fully FDA approved as an argument against taking it.

People watch too many zombie movies.
          I must say I'm surprised at you, Encinal. I usually enjoy your "thought question" threads and though I don't know you I think of you as a very logical person. However, the argument above (That since the FDA is government, people can't value their certification despite being overall mistrustful of government) doesn't really hold water. Besides, I don't think people were really arguing that lack of FDA-approval is the reason they won't take it, more that there is not a years/decades long record of possible long-term effects.

Responding to the first sentence of your post, statistically the miniscule chance of adverse effects certainly is better than 10% of old people dying from covid, I agree with you there 100%. If I were 75-80+ y/o, I would get the vax in a heartbeat (because the hard truth is someone that age doesn't have to think about long term effects.) HOWEVER, the statistics are not really the point for most people... the point is that you can't afford to be the .0001% who die or get a tumor or are rendered infertile or whatever else. They may be few in number, but try looking someone in the eye who died of blood clotting from whichever vax that was and tell them that the likelihood is ridiculously small and they should ditch the tinfoil. That's the same reason I think the original post is dumb and TAMU is missing the point... it's not the science that I'm worried about, it's what the science doesn't know yet. No scientist on Earth can tell you the 5, 10 or 30-year effects of this vaccine. They can guess, but when it's life in the balance a guess isn't good enough for me. Imo, perhaps the greatest piece of wisdom on Earth is to know you don't know; modern medicine is amazing, the scientists know an amazing amount, have saved and will continue to save lives, but they don't know everything and the risk is not worth it to me as someone on the younger side who has the long term to think about.

Comment

The question people should be asking- Why if there are medications that overcome the symptoms of Covid then why not use them instead of a vaccine that is in an infant state? These medications are FDA approved and been used for many years but would be off label if used for Covid. Phizer is running one through that almost mirrors HCQ now. Should these medications been available to the people that died from this virus?

Comment

Originally posted by encinal View Post
              all i can say is... I would rather take a vaccine developed in 1 year with the best medical technology available in 2021 than one developed in 10 years with the best medical technology in 1920...

But most people are acting like they feel the opposite.
              yep!

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                The question people should be asking- Why if there are medications that overcome the symptoms of Covid then why not use them instead of a vaccine that is in an infant state? These medications are FDA approved and been used for many years but would be off label if used for Covid. Phizer is running one through that almost mirrors HCQ now. Should these medications been available to the people that died from this virus?

It's all about the $$$$$$$.

Follow the $$$$$.

Also fear and control/power.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                  When they began to silence doctors and patients who were taking HCQ with positive results as well as suppressing data from other countries using HCQ succesffuly. That was one of the biggest red flags to me that something wasn't right, and made me stand back and begin to question the whole thing. It made me begin to question the mortality rates, the vaccine, the mask ...everything.

It personally reminds me of my experience going through the initial global warming fiasco.

Comment

Another red flag- Why are about half of healthcare workers not getting this? It is science and it advances. I think at some point Mrna vaccines will be figured out and hope they are. Just too many ???? for me at this time

Comment

Originally posted by Pope View Post
                      Our cells pick up the mRNA and produce a protein to trick our immune system to think a virus is present.
                      Good breakdown, thank you. Can you help me understand why people are having a some what severe reactions to the vaccine? And why you need 2 rounds of it, hearing that a good amount of healthy people are getting their tails kicked with the second dose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Wile E. View Post
                        I must say I'm surprised at you, Encinal. I usually enjoy your "thought question" threads and though I don't know you I think of you as a very logical person. However, the argument above (That since the FDA is government, people can't value their certification despite being overall mistrustful of government) doesn't really hold water. Besides, I don't think people were really arguing that lack of FDA-approval is the reason they won't take it, more that there is not a years/decades long record of possible long-term effects.

Responding to the first sentence of your post, statistically the miniscule chance of adverse effects certainly is better than 10% of old people dying from covid, I agree with you there 100%. If I were 75-80+ y/o, I would get the vax in a heartbeat (because the hard truth is someone that age doesn't have to think about long term effects.) HOWEVER, the statistics are not really the point for most people... the point is that you can't afford to be the .0001% who die or get a tumor or are rendered infertile or whatever else. They may be few in number, but try looking someone in the eye who died of blood clotting from whichever vax that was and tell them that the likelihood is ridiculously small and they should ditch the tinfoil. That's the same reason I think the original post is dumb and TAMU is missing the point... it's not the science that I'm worried about, it's what the science doesn't know yet. No scientist on Earth can tell you the 5, 10 or 30-year effects of this vaccine. They can guess, but when it's life in the balance a guess isn't good enough for me. Imo, perhaps the greatest piece of wisdom on Earth is to know you don't know; modern medicine is amazing, the scientists know an amazing amount, have saved and will continue to save lives, but they don't know everything and the risk is not worth it to me as someone on the younger side who has the long term to think about.
                        The 6? People out of the millions who got the vaccine that have had blood clotting problems?

Fact of the matter is, it is far less risky to get the vaccine than not to get it.

Don’t know where all this antivaxx stuff came from. Like... if you’re tough enough to risk getting the disease with its known short term effects (and unknown long term effects) why aren’t you tough enough to get the vaccine with its fewer and less severe short term effects and unknown long term effects.

You’re risking long term effects of the disease by not getting the vaccine.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                          uhhh... is it less bad than 10% of old people dying of it.

I think thats a pretty definitive yes.

Blows my mind that the same people that don't trust the government are using the argument that it isnt fully FDA approved as an argument against taking it.

People watch too many zombie movies.
                          I tend to agree. I got vaccinated. My family doctor and i talked about it. He advised it. I respect his opinion and the opinion of healthcare professionals and medical scientists over the opinions of people on the internet. But that's just me.

Comment

Bat- no one really knows what changes occur and why some have more changes than others. It is new to being used on humans. If interested and you like researching it is worth a look. The tests on other critters have mixed results. It is fascinating science though. It actually tricks “alters” your body.

Comment

Encinal- what is the problem with fighting the illness with medications that have proven highly effective if given early? I dont get flu vaccination but get to the Dr quickly and get Tamaflu.

Folks should be angry over not treating if anything. Effects of vaccine are not known- give me a 10 year trial on any Mrna vaccine and humans- Its been around since the 1970s

Do some digging and explain this to me. People that have Lupus have a poor immune system. They are treated with a certain medication. People with Lupus do not get severe Covid. What medication are they taking for their condition that combats Covid?
                              Last edited by glen; 05-01-2021, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Antivaxers and young earthers all on one thread? Always nice to be reminded this sort of ignorance is out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X