Recommendations for Mule Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for Mule Deer

I’m looking for recommendations for a really nice solid mule deer hunt. Doesn’t have to be a world record animal but a nice solid 5x5 outside the ears decent mass. What guides or outfitter have you used? Texas/New Mexico. Would love to keep it $3,500 or less for next season with a legit opportunity. Or does anyone on here have west Texas/pan connections? Something to hang on wall and be proud of. It’s a bucket list item for me along with gemsbok but those have pretty much out priced me already!

new mexico may be a better fit...I've seen some outfitters offer hunts for $3500 in recent years. Mainly hunting Alfalfa fields.

West Texas hunts are going to be more expensive, WTO, Jim Breck Bean, Desert Safaris, all good outfits.

Mule Deer hunting is not like whitetail, Deer numbers are alot lower and you can cover alot of ground to find a mature buck....I'm saying this because you mentioned " outside the ears, decent mass, 5x5" is a particular order you may not be able to fulfill and you need to have realistic expectations.

Comment

You will be hard pressed to find the deer you described anywhere for $3500. Not saying it’s impossible but through an outfitter without some sort of hey buddy deal it’s going to be closer to 5-6k.
      Good luck on the bucket list item. I love me some mule deer!!

Comment

Recommend this place big time. It's out west near Kent Texas. 40K acres and low fence. We had an amazing time hunting javelina and aoudad.

Rancho Del Cielo/JDC Ranch Partners L.P. is a working ranch located on the northern edge of the Davis Mountains in Far West Texas.

Jesse runs the place and is a cool dude. Give him a call. Should be under $3500 for a cull buck. The Mexican gentlemen who owns the 40,000 acre ranch takes 1-2 200" mulies annually so you will likely see some whoppers. I believe culls were 150-170 but confirm with Jesse. You can see some of the culls on the website. The food and accommodations were amazing.

Jesse King, General Manager: jesseking.jdcranch@yahoo.com
        Office: 915-828-3542
        Cell: 432-294-2045

Comment

I've hunted with Mike Root in New Mexico for mule deer. As some of the others have mentioned, deer numbers are a lot lower, and you will need to draw from the lottery for the price you mentioned.

Comment

With budget listed and quality of deer you are looking for I think you would have a very difficult time finding that in west Texas. Not as familiar on pricing in NM, but think that would be difficult as well.

Mule deer pricing has been on the high side for years and doesn’t look to be coming down.

Comment

you Might call and see what west Texas hunt org has and offers.

With that wishlist and budget your best bet is probably a landowner tag DIY hunt in one of the better areas of some of the other states in the west.

Comment

Talk to Matt Hicks (J-J Matt) on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
                  Recommend this place big time. It's out west near Kent Texas. 40K acres and low fence. We had an amazing time hunting javelina and aoudad.

Rancho Del Cielo/JDC Ranch Partners L.P. is a working ranch located on the northern edge of the Davis Mountains in Far West Texas.

Jesse runs the place and is a cool dude. Give him a call. Should be under $3500 for a cull buck. The Mexican gentlemen who owns the 40,000 acre ranch takes 1-2 200" mulies annually so you will likely see some whoppers. I believe culls were 150-170 but confirm with Jesse. You can see some of the culls on the website. The food and accommodations were amazing.

Jesse King, General Manager: jesseking.jdcranch@yahoo.com
                  Office: 915-828-3542
                  Cell: 432-294-2045
                  This place looks and sounds interesting.. I need to give them a call.
                  And they dont sell any trophy hunts which is different..

Comment

Give Jimmy Fontenot at "Safari Studios" in San Angelo a call.. He books mule deer hunts in several different locations and could have exactly what you are looking for.

Comment

Nope. No trophy hunts. I was hunting with two guys to spend more than $40,000 a year hunting all over the world and they come back here every year because they get a really nice mule deer for the money.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Following

Comment

tagged

Comment

Need to bump your budget to around $6K for a decent chance at a good buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Whoa 6k for a deer? Cmon. Mayne!

Comment

Working...
                              X