Moving a Gun Safe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving a Gun Safe

I need to move a fire rated Cabelas gun safe on Friday.
    Any issues with laying it down on it's back in the bed of a pickup?
    Or is it recommended that it remain upright?

It won’t hurt it to lay it down. Make sure you have help though, those things are heavy.

Comment

Stand it up. It can beat up the door and hardware bouncing in the truck.

Comment

I think you are confusing it with a refrigerator.

Comment

Whatever you do, lay boards or a pallet under it. Its amazing how much shock it takes out on the ride. Not to mention stability and being able to get under it.

Comment

my tip for moving the safe in the house is to cut some pipes or round wood pole like say curtain rods or maybe pvc pipe would work
            tilt the safe up on one end and put a few under it then just roll it and take them and put them in front and just keep going when you need to turn a corner you can just slide the safe around on the roller be careful and you can get it headed in the right direction then rol it off the rollers and tilt it up and get the last ones out
            i’ve move mine around a lot like this and you can do it with just one person

Comment

5 or 6 pieces of 3/4” PVC, 24” long
              A couple pieces of plywood
              Long handled pry bar ~42”
              Some help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I moved my 1000# safe recently. Was able to tilt it enough to get it on a pallet. Used a pallet jack and plywood down on the floor. Laid it down on the trailer and had no problems. Get as many people to help as possible.

Comment

I’ve moved a few and a furniture dolly is a savior. Tilt over enough to rock it up and push to where you need. I always travel with the door closed but unlocked so have access to guts of mechanism if you take to big a bump and knock something loose.

Comment

Originally posted by DRettele View Post
                    I need to move a fire rated Cabelas gun safe on Friday.
                    Any issues with laying it down on it's back in the bed of a pickup?
                    Or is it recommended that it remain upright?

I paid a safe company $300 to move mine during my new home build and it was worth every penny. I bought the safe from them 7 or 8 years ago and they offered me a little discount.

Comment

I would keep it standing up if possible. I have a different model, but it specifically says to not move it on it’s back because it will lock and you won’t be able to open it without a locksmith.

Comment

I would definitely get a flatbed. I moved my gaurdall which is 1100 lbs in my truck bed and it broke my tailgate cables. Bent my tail gait all to hell. Moved it the second time with a good appliance dolly with a kickstand rated for 1500lbs on a flatbed and it was much safer. I only had one person helping both times. It would’ve been nice to have more help

Comment

Definitely use a crate or lumber you so you can get under it. Five years ago or so I bought a 64 gun safe from Cabelas. The staff was kind enough to provide large box card board, which allowed the safe to slide in the trailer easily. After at two hundred mile trip, the cardboard absorbed moisture from the humidity. It became like a giant rubber gasket, and I had hell getting that thing off the trailer.

Comment

I helped a friend of mine relocate his gunsafe from Georgetown to Brenham on a trailer and we laid the safe on its back with padding under it. After getting it inside the house the safe would not open, the locksmith had to drill holes and perform intricate surgery on it to open it. The locksmith told us to NEVER transport a safe on its back always upright.

Comment

I brought mine home, laying down in the bed of my truck.
                              I moved it from that house, to storage, laying down on a trailer.
                              I moved it from storage to our barndo, laying down on a trailer.

Matt, you must be buying some cheap *** safes if they're damaged by transporting them laying down!

Comment

Working...
                              X