This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
    I own a REAP-IR and I really like it. (I'll actually make someone a really good deal on it if anyone is interested) The REAP is a tried and true scope and it's definitely the most popular Trijicon model because of the size, weight and magnification level. The image quality is exactly what you'd expect from a Trijicon.

The other scope to consider is the new N-Vision Halo and Halo LR. They are using the exact same BAE 640 12 micron thermal core as Trijicons but N-Vision squeezed a slightly better image out of that thermal core, which is pretty hard to believe because the Trijicons have an amazing image quality.

If you're looking for the absolute best image quality and ID range on the consumer market, there is no question or argument, Trijicon and N-Vision win hands down.

Holler any time if you have more questions.

- Jason
    No doubt. I love mine, but the HALO looks great also

Can you explain the Sightmark and all these lower end models coming out in a detailed post? Some of them look good for their price point...... almost too good

Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
      Can you explain the Sightmark and all these lower end models coming out in a detailed post? Some of them look good for their price point...... almost too good

Thanks in advance
      Lololol The Force is pulling you to the Dark Side! Come on over, the water is fine (and we don't have to use our cell phones to record videos of our MDVRs playing videos in order to #DoItForTheGram).

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post

Thanks in advance
        Sure thing. Basically what's happening is this....these digital sensors are improving at a rapid rate and they are becoming very cheap to make. Sightmark has put a really good 1080p HD sensor in their new Wraith scope and put a good quality 50mm objective lens on it, coupled with a very good stock IR illuminator and what you end up with is a pretty amazing digital NV scope for $499. It's really pretty crazy. I have video that I'll be releasing where you can clearly make out hogs at 250 yards exactly and you can see the white hog black spots vs the solid black hogs. It's very impressive!

I've used the Photons since the original model came out in 2014 and it was a ground breaking scope that completely changed the course of the NV hunting world and industry. They get absolutely no credit it for it but they were doing this a year before ATN got on board with their first X-Sight.

ATN has been trying for 4 years to do what Sightmark just did on their first attempt. And that's build a full color HD daytime optic while having really good HD night time image quality and throwing in some features like video recording. Sightmark has managed to keep the Wraith very simple, user friendly but still having enough features to keep most of the general public happy. I'll be honest about this, I dread the day (and I'm sure it's coming) when they release a new model of the Wraith that has a smart phone app. Those sort of features cause more customer service phone calls and inquiries than ALL other features or problems combined.

So at the end of the day, these digital NV optics keep getting better and better and that is the exact reason that Gen 1 NV is dead and Gen 2 and Gen 3 are essentially dead in the hunting community. They just can't compete on price and yes Gen 3 is a whole lot better than something like the Wraith but the question is, is it $3,000+ better? Thermal on the other hand offers a whole different set of benefits that digital NV can never compete with.

These really good digital scopes like the Wraith are going to do what the Photon has been doing for years....bringing more and more first time NV hunters into the market, getting them hooked and many will become thermal owners over the years as the prices of thermal comes down and the quality goes up.

I hope that helps a little.

Jason

Comment

My latest with the Sightmark Wraith.
          Hunting footage, with shots fired!!!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwQ6iyyAXq4"]Sightmark Wraith Night Hunting - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
            Sure thing. Basically what's happening is this....these digital sensors are improving at a rapid rate and they are becoming very cheap to make. Sightmark has put a really good 1080p HD sensor in their new Wraith scope and put a good quality 50mm objective lens on it, coupled with a very good stock IR illuminator and what you end up with is a pretty amazing digital NV scope for $499. It's really pretty crazy. I have video that I'll be releasing where you can clearly make out hogs at 250 yards exactly and you can see the white hog black spots vs the solid black hogs. It's very impressive!

I've used the Photons since the original model came out in 2014 and it was a ground breaking scope that completely changed the course of the NV hunting world and industry. They get absolutely no credit it for it but they were doing this a year before ATN got on board with their first X-Sight.

ATN has been trying for 4 years to do what Sightmark just did on their first attempt. And that's build a full color HD daytime optic while having really good HD night time image quality and throwing in some features like video recording. Sightmark has managed to keep the Wraith very simple, user friendly but still having enough features to keep most of the general public happy. I'll be honest about this, I dread the day (and I'm sure it's coming) when they release a new model of the Wraith that has a smart phone app. Those sort of features cause more customer service phone calls and inquiries than ALL other features or problems combined.

So at the end of the day, these digital NV optics keep getting better and better and that is the exact reason that Gen 1 NV is dead and Gen 2 and Gen 3 are essentially dead in the hunting community. They just can't compete on price and yes Gen 3 is a whole lot better than something like the Wraith but the question is, is it $3,000+ better? Thermal on the other hand offers a whole different set of benefits that digital NV can never compete with.

These really good digital scopes like the Wraith are going to do what the Photon has been doing for years....bringing more and more first time NV hunters into the market, getting them hooked and many will become thermal owners over the years as the prices of thermal comes down and the quality goes up.

I hope that helps a little.

Jason
            Thanks for the write up and explanation. I do agree, these people spending $500-800 on NV will become thermal people after they fall in love with night hunting.

I just don't see this being any better or worth saving the money over an XQ 38 for under 3k or XQ50 for under 3400.

I have never been a fan of NV tho, while some people love it.

Comment

Yeah, I disagree. If you're shooting pigs within 150 yds from a fixed position (like at a feeder), A sightmark and a good IR flashlight is more than adequate forever. Hundreds of pigs have met their demise that way.

Just like an expensive, high quality day scope, a thermal is just better than a sightmark. The pigs glow in the dark - it feels like a cheat code.

If you're going to be walking the ranch spot-and-stalking pigs, you'll be better off with a thermal. If you want to take long shots I'm disappointed with both (unless you're okay shooting at a smudge of dots).

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                Yeah, I disagree. If you're shooting pigs within 150 yds from a fixed position (like at a feeder), A sightmark and a good IR flashlight is more than adequate forever. Hundreds of pigs have met their demise that way.

Just like an expensive, high quality day scope, a thermal is just better than a sightmark. The pigs glow in the dark - it feels like a cheat code.

If you're going to be walking the ranch spot-and-stalking pigs, you'll be better off with a thermal. If you want to take long shots I'm disappointed with both (unless you're okay shooting at a smudge of dots).
                Very well said! For a single pig in a stand the cheap NV will work fine.

I remember those days with my Sniper Hog Light

Comment

Here is a different take on the night vision hunts, a couple of my neighbors have had problems with beavers in their ponds so Saturday night I ventured out to help solve the problem! One note a shot beaver will sink like a rock so not many LDPs but looks ike the problem is almost solved!
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 8.46.20 AM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	24579050

Name:	IMG_2310.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	24579051

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 8.45.39 AM.jpg
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	24579052
                  Video Link

Comment

Good work!

Comment

Hey Coachwhip, great pics! Oh and I see you get to wear gloves but your daughter has to go bare handed.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Archery View Post
                        Biggest Bobcat to date.
                        Getting this guy mounted.
                        https://youtu.be/-MgKbx9v-tg

Good job Ed

Comment

Thank you Jason, she is not your typical girly girl! We have also been calving out this spring with too many coyotes around, so here is a compilation of several hunts.

Name:	IMG_2251.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	24579268

Name:	IMG_2250.JPG
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	24579269
                          Video Link

Comment

Well...I didn't hear my name called when I listened to the podcast this morning, so I went ahead and got on the waiting list for the Wraith!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ATXArcher View Post
                              Well...I didn't hear my name called when I listened to the podcast this morning, so I went ahead and got on the waiting list for the Wraith!!!
                              Just got on the Wraith list myself.

Comment

Originally posted by ATXArcher View Post
                                Haha! Sorry guys, I think we disappointed several hundred people that didn't win the Sightmark Wraith giaveway.

Thanks for listening/watching the podcast!

Jason

Comment

Working...
                                X